Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Pontiac OHC Six

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
    A real gearhead would saddle that SOB up and ride it right into the basement. Just sayin'.
    YEEE HAAWW!!

On the bellhousing, I think I would of noticed flipping through the service manual if the bellhousing looked BOP'ish. IIRC, it has a rounder bellhousing. I was just looking at it last week as my Dad just bought an '89 with a 5-speed and had questions about the transmission.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

the bellhousing will match the motor...if it's the Jeep (AMC) straight 6, then it's not gonna match any GM.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

VICTORY!! It's in the basement! Went in with out a hitch 8) Took the whole sled down since it acted like it wanted too and was rather drama free

Going down!

My safety line. Attached to the holes for the idler arm bolts. I didn't undo the pallet straps to slide the pallet, the sled was doing pretty good on it's own.

Moving on down. Found that 4x4 to pry with, simplified things. Loosen safety line a few inches, pry, repeat.

At this point I figured the danger was past, it's pretty level here.

An easy slope.

Got the hoist assembled. Got the engine up, the pallet and sled out removed and engine stand in place.

Wheeled into place Just have to clear some area on the bench and dissassembly can begin!

Comment

Seems to me you could put a hole in the floor of the house somewhere, then put a chain hoist in the ceiling, and move engines up and down that way. The hole would probably be where the couch is now, or in the middle of the kitchen or something, but it'd be worth it

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
            Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            Haha. I choose my pains selectively. The good news is, it's a balmy 22*F, I had to take my jacket and hat off :D

Got the engine slid down and lined up. You can see three "rollers" under the sled beneath the engine.

I put a scale there, that's a three foot ruler, so yeah, about a 4 foot drop.

Just needs a tie down and a swift kick in the rear to go ;D

Tomorrow??
            You might be a redneck if..........

Hey ya'll whatch this....
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Damn, no pics of Randal riding the engine side saddle. >
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Awww...I was hoping for..

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

yee haw!
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Nice work Randal!

Do you have that woodstove working yet? If so - be careful with any cleaning solvents in that basement work shop - make sure you have some ventilation!
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Told ya it'd be a cake walk ;D 8)

I don't have the wood stove going yet :'( Even then, the propane water heater and furnace are down there. I don't expect to do much parts cleaning down there. When I have in the past I've openned up a window down there and the basement door for a decent breeze.

Comment

Above 48" you should be fine. In a garage, it's a ClassII divisionII location, meaning combustable gas may be present.

I was just looking at that engine and thinking how far ahead of it's time it was, imagine how well that would run with modern FI and coil on ignition. Maybe a turbo too. ;D
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Good worl, Randall. Jim may be on to something. An old machinist we sometimes used at EPA had a complete machine shop in his basement and all his machine tools came down by removing the stair landing and calling a tow truck. They'd extend the boom and drop 'em down - worked flawlessly. He had the landing and lower stairs pinned in so they could come out easily. I often wondered if he died and no one knew how to get the stuff out.

Dan

Comment

Randal, just showed the wife your pics and she said...."Randals the man, isnt anything he cant figure out!"

remind me not to leave her alone with you at B-ville this year!
                            Reading , Pa
                            Good Guys rodders rep.
                            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

so....got it apart yet?

i wanna see a pic of that 292 crank sitting half way in the block....

My fabulous web page

Comment

I just have a "CAN DO" attitude ;D Little haphazard, but hasn't severely injured or killed me yet!!

I have some cleaning and picking up to do around the house/carport/basement so hopefully it'll be my after work project starting Monday at the latest.

Comment

Working...
                                X