Janet's 70 Dart Swinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Janet's 70 Dart Swinger

Thanks for the tips. The pump circuit seems to be doing it's job. I think I played with the float a little, but probably not enough. It's the 68-70 dual plane factory iron 340 intake. I don't think there's enough room for a carb spacer that thick?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Surging while cruising is a sign a carb is under jetted. Todays methanol laiden gasoline require bigger jetting to get the carb to work right.
      Dont forget to check the vac advance on the dist. A bad one can cause surging while cruising.

As for starting, it sounds like the wire that goes from negative side of the coil to the starter to the starter to give the ignition juice when cranking is bad,or missing. Or, is it the positive side?
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Sometimes it can help to drill out the acc.pump fuelshooter too a slightly larger size, but I think this carb should do well without this modification on this engine, eventhough the 340 is sometimes called a Performance motor by some ;)

Maybe the surge can be related to a too low voltage to the coil perhaps?
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I really need to poke around the wiring with a voltmeter in my hand....there are fun things with the lights too. The cluster is not grounded very well, the screw holes in the metal dash are just worn out so I can't get them as tight as they need to be. 300k+ miles is hard on a car that was made this crappy

The ignition wiring on the Mopars is not like on normal cars, Scott. Also, we converted this one to electronic ignition when we swapped in the V8, it originally had points. The system uses a dual ballast resistor. I've forgotten how it's wired, I suppose I could go look in a book, I have several factory shop manuals for various mid 60s to late 70s mopars.

My fabulous web page

Comment

you know, all those problems could be fixed with a LS swap :D
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Actually, all those problems don't keep her from driving it.....and an ls swap is way too much work for me to do to a dodge. Just swapping in the V8 where the 6 was required gutting the underside of the car.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim - you know your electrons better than most - but it got me thinking when you mentioned ballast resistors and electronic ignition conversion.

Seems most electronic ignitions require 12v, where a ballast resistor would step the voltage down to something less than that to protect points originally.

Just made me think there may be an issue in the ignition system that could be causing the starting and surging problems?
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I think the starting issue is not the same as the surging issue. Although it could all be wiring related...it's just that there are several places in the wiring that could be failing. The ignition switch uses a Molex connector where it ties into the harness under the column. The main harness has a spade type block bulkhead connector at the firewall. Both of those connectors are trouble sources. The ignition module 5 pin connector is a flaky design. The resistors are known to go bad. The grounding method for the module is also flaky (and this is an AZ car, I can imagine it's worse in other areas). I think many of the wires are kind of undersized. And the dash ammeters are notorious for causing charging problems.

My fabulous web page

Comment

And the dash ammeters are notorious for causing charging problems.
                    Not only charging problems,but electrical fires. Been there done that in my White 72 Dart. Luckily the wiring stopped cookingat the bulkhead. A 73 Dodge Truck I owned had the same issue and the 72 Fury Wagon I own also shows signs of this someday occurring(distorted connector at the Alternator) Actually I think Jim was the one who made the discovery that the plastic insulator on that connector was starting to distort. Heres a remedy(Which I havent yet put into use myself) :

Comment

put a GM alternator in it and an idiot light....wire the alt direct to the battery cable...gotta be better than the mopar way!

btw have you seen the yellow car driving around again Chris?
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

She's been driving the car a bit. The turn signals drive me crazy when I drive it, so I guess I need to fix them. Both the cancelling tabs are broken off, and one of the "hold it in ON position" tabs is broken off, so you have to hold the lever to make it signal to the right. I got one of the cheezy MM repair parts, took the wheel off and removed the old one, then noticed, they're different. So, I got the box of switches out of the shed...my friend used to call my sheds "the magic kingdom" because of all the strange stuff I have collected over the years.

One is new, it has the cornering light thing that I'll have to cut off. It was in the original mopar box, with some writing on it including a price of $11.60 so it must be old!
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Turn signals are working good. I also swapped the front bumper...Janet bumped into a truck in trafficmany many years ago and bent in the center, so it was touching the grille (the grille is broken in a few places too). I got a used one off a Demon I parted out many (single many) years ago, but it had guards on it originally, as well as the slots for the jack. When I cleaned up the yard this summer, I dug the bumper out of the bumper pile, and decided I should try it on the car some time. I removed the guards and brackets, and cleaned it up with some polish, it's not too bad. So I put it on the car. Looks better, that bent bumper had been bugging me for decades.

Tonight Steve (our oldest son who came home from the hospital in the Dart) who is visiting got to drive the Dart, he said he never drove it anywhere before. Of course something had to go wrong...after a couple miles, the speedo started going wonky, jumping all over the place. One more thing to fix.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I took Janet out for a Sonic burger, drove her car, had a couple guys say what a nice car I have. Huh.

Turned 330,000 miles on the way home.
                            Attached Files
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Just getting back to working on all the old stuff.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The speedo has gotten a bit wonky lately, so I figured the first place to start fixing would be the speedo cable. I was gonna lube it...so I reached behind the dash and popped the clip off, and the end almost came off in my hand, I guess it had been busted for a while. Mopars have a plastic end with a springy latch thing that clips onto the speedo, and this one is over 40 yrs old and broke. So I ordered a new cable from the local parts store, came in yesterday, the stupid thing has the wrong end on it where it fits the trans. Everyone knows the transmission end of a speedo cable (except fords) has a 7/8" threaded fitting, right? the clowns who made the cable put a 5/8" end on it, which is what you find at the speedo end of older speedo cables. Did a little googling, I'm not the only one to be in this situation. So I'll return it as defective, and see if I can find a properly made part. And yes it says "made in usa" right on the box.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X