Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Janet's 70 Dart Swinger

The parts stores used to stock this stuff, now it's all overnight. Who'd a though late model cars like this would ever be old?
    I know! :'(
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Some guys here at work have never seen a drum brake taken apart.... and act like a carburetor is ancient history. :
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Some guys here at work have never seen a drum brake taken apart.... and act like a carburetor is ancient history. :
        well, the last one I saw was on an '88 MC SS... when did they stop again? Some guys at work here weren't BORN in 1988.

Comment

There are still vehilces produced with rear drum brakes, they haven't gone the way of the buggy whip yet, and even on some rear disc set ups, the E brake is still a "drum in hat" style, not to mention medium and heavy trucks, and lots of trailers still have drums too.

When the last car was made with a carb, I can't say - after '86 for sure, but not sure exactly.

Comment

There are still vehilces produced with rear drum brakes, they haven't gone the way of the buggy whip yet, and even on some rear disc set ups, the E brake is still a "drum in hat" style, not to mention medium and heavy trucks, and lots of trailers still have drums too.

When the last car was made with a carb, I can't say - after '86 for sure, but not sure exactly.
            I can think of the 89 FSJ Jeeps having carbs on the 360's
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I got the dart back together, it stops nice and straight, but it has it's typical more-than-you'd-expect pedal travel (about half way to the floor for a normal stop). Stops straight, I guess that's what counts.

14 mpg from that tank of gas.

Janet might drive it to work in the morning.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Didn't they have Flintstone brakes from the factory?

Comment

nah, the floors don't rot out here in AZ.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

She drove it to work, and said something about the low speed surge that it has. I overhauled the 9636 Carter a few years ago, it still surged.

I'm thinking I could put that holley on it...got a couple 1850s and a 3310 from a friend recently, all in pieces. One of the 1850s is only a couple years old, I put it back together. I'll see about getting an electric choke for it, and put it on. At least I know how to adjust the holleys.

I also need to work on the car's wiring, it's pretty bad about starting, or maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to need to have some wires wiggled under the dash to get it going sometimes. Like it's not getting ignition while it's cranking. cranks away, then when you let the key go it fires once before it shuts off.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

The acc.pump lever usually has 3 holes for the rod coming from the throttle shaft. You could try putting the rod into the hole closest to the carb for a faster pumpshot.
                      Also check and maybe bend the rod a bit so the acc.pump goes through a large enough travel to provide enough fuel.
                      Maybe the fuel-level in the carb is a bit low aswell. Readjusting the floats a little higher might help aswell.

Not sure if the engine has a single plane intake or not, but if so, this than make Carter carbs cause a little surge going from idle.
                      A 1" (or larger if possible) spacer usually takes care of the surge, giving the carb a better vacuum signal again from the engine.
                      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips. The pump circuit seems to be doing it's job. I think I played with the float a little, but probably not enough. It's the 68-70 dual plane factory iron 340 intake. I don't think there's enough room for a carb spacer that thick?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Surging while cruising is a sign a carb is under jetted. Todays methanol laiden gasoline require bigger jetting to get the carb to work right.
                          Dont forget to check the vac advance on the dist. A bad one can cause surging while cruising.

As for starting, it sounds like the wire that goes from negative side of the coil to the starter to the starter to give the ignition juice when cranking is bad,or missing. Or, is it the positive side?
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Sometimes it can help to drill out the acc.pump fuelshooter too a slightly larger size, but I think this carb should do well without this modification on this engine, eventhough the 340 is sometimes called a Performance motor by some ;)

Maybe the surge can be related to a too low voltage to the coil perhaps?
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I really need to poke around the wiring with a voltmeter in my hand....there are fun things with the lights too. The cluster is not grounded very well, the screw holes in the metal dash are just worn out so I can't get them as tight as they need to be. 300k+ miles is hard on a car that was made this crappy

The ignition wiring on the Mopars is not like on normal cars, Scott. Also, we converted this one to electronic ignition when we swapped in the V8, it originally had points. The system uses a dual ballast resistor. I've forgotten how it's wired, I suppose I could go look in a book, I have several factory shop manuals for various mid 60s to late 70s mopars.

My fabulous web page

Comment

you know, all those problems could be fixed with a LS swap :D
                                It only takes one aweshit to erase a dozen attaboys

Comment

Actually, all those problems don't keep her from driving it.....and an ls swap is way too much work for me to do to a dodge. Just swapping in the V8 where the 6 was required gutting the underside of the car.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim - you know your electrons better than most - but it got me thinking when you mentioned ballast resistors and electronic ignition conversion.

Seems most electronic ignitions require 12v, where a ballast resistor would step the voltage down to something less than that to protect points originally.

Just made me think there may be an issue in the ignition system that could be causing the starting and surging problems?

Comment

I think the starting issue is not the same as the surging issue. Although it could all be wiring related...it's just that there are several places in the wiring that could be failing. The ignition switch uses a Molex connector where it ties into the harness under the column. The main harness has a spade type block bulkhead connector at the firewall. Both of those connectors are trouble sources. The ignition module 5 pin connector is a flaky design. The resistors are known to go bad. The grounding method for the module is also flaky (and this is an AZ car, I can imagine it's worse in other areas). I think many of the wires are kind of undersized. And the dash ammeters are notorious for causing charging problems.

My fabulous web page

Comment

And the dash ammeters are notorious for causing charging problems.
                                        Not only charging problems,but electrical fires. Been there done that in my White 72 Dart. Luckily the wiring stopped cookingat the bulkhead. A 73 Dodge Truck I owned had the same issue and the 72 Fury Wagon I own also shows signs of this someday occurring(distorted connector at the Alternator) Actually I think Jim was the one who made the discovery that the plastic insulator on that connector was starting to distort. Heres a remedy(Which I havent yet put into use myself) :

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...p-gauges.shtml

Comment

put a GM alternator in it and an idiot light....wire the alt direct to the battery cable...gotta be better than the mopar way!

btw have you seen the yellow car driving around again Chris?
                                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                          X