Galaxie Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxie Project

This started in 2001, when I ran across this '65 galaxie with no rust for a price I couldn't pass up. Of course on the way home cruisomatic ate itself...this is what it looked like after taking 12 quarts of tranny fluid to get the 75 miles home.

After changing the wheels and tires, cutting a coil from the front springs, adding electronic ignition and generally getting it road worthy, I drove it for 3 years looking like this until the original 352 wiped some cam lobes. I had more fun driving that car around daily than any other car I've had.

The engine came out in late 2003 and the car was moved a few times in its disassembled state until a friend and i rented a small shop back in 2005. Of course the engine freshening morphed into a full suspension rebuild, rewiring, etc. Here is a shot after mock up of the tbird disc brakes. The front end is also getting stiffer springs, a big sway bar from the same junkyard tbird and all new bushings. The rear will have stiffer springs, poly bushings, and boxed control arms.

The motorvation will be from the original 352 block bored and stroked to 390 ci, with edelbrock heads, streetmaster intake, solid lifter cam, etc. Here's a shot of it mocked up. The heads, rockers, intake, headers, and carb are all used stuff from craigslist, fordfe.com, and fordmuscle.com. The original cruiso was rebuilt after the ride home in 2001 and is getting a modified valve body--we'll see if it can handle the additional HP of the new motor.

The plan is to keep the column shift, bench seat, and dog dish hub caps, but I may go back to a more stock stance to give it a sleeper/60's superstock vibe. I'm thinking of one of those rustoleum roller paint jobs will probably finish it off.

Re: Galaxie Project

What a perfect car...

The roller paint will only be cool if this paint is really wrecked... and if you really do the roller paint job right... ( I love the concept of it by the way )

I'm really into the bucks down junk yard approach... that makes the car virtually perfect and simply a lot of fun to see...

K

Comment

That's cool. The dog-dish hub caps were the right thing to do. But that paint doesn't look nearly bad enough to ruin with a Rustoleum job.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
        What a perfect car...

The roller paint will only be cool if this paint is really wrecked... and if you really do the roller paint job right... ( I love the concept of it by the way )

I'm really into the bucks down junk yard approach... that makes the car virtually perfect and simply a lot of fun to see...

K
        The paint on it now is a cheap respray, which would be fine, but it is flaking off. It doesn't have a very aesthetic patina, but it does look good from 10 feet or so. I am concerned that the brutal summer sun here in FL would fade the rustoleum out pretty quick, so if I do it, it will be on a sample fender and tested in the sun for a season.

Thanks for the compliment--I started driving my dad crazy to take me junkyards when I was about 7 and I still feel like a little kid when I run across a find in one! Floriday is a gold mine where that's concerned.

Comment

Neat car! A buddy of mines dad is into 62-65 Galaxies.

Comment

Cool ride. Nice upgrade on the wheels too!
            I wish more folks would do the same where I live. All they care for is 'chrome wheels', and preferrably the cheapest version. The most popular wheel in the overhere is the 'Chrome Nodular' : ... A wheel also known in the US as 'trailer-wheel" I believe ;D

I did a semi-gloss roller paintjob on my '64 Newyorker which came out pretty nice. Especially when people started asking how I had spraypainted the car and then having to say it didn't. :D
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by jakengle
              This started in 2001, when I ran across this '65 galaxie with no rust for a price I couldn't pass up. Of course on the way home cruisomatic ate itself...this is what it looked like after taking 12 quarts of tranny fluid to get the 75 miles home.

After changing the wheels and tires, cutting a coil from the front springs, adding electronic ignition and generally getting it road worthy, I drove it for 3 years looking like this until the original 352 wiped some cam lobes. I had more fun driving that car around daily than any other car I've had.

I saw one of these in a used carlot 2 days ago FOR Sale, in Pittsburg,Pa it looked 1/2 decent $1995
              I had 66 Custom a few yrs ago,also had a complete 67' 500xl with 390 for transplant,but it never happened.

The engine came out in late 2003 and the car was moved a few times in its disassembled state until a friend and i rented a small shop back in 2005. Of course the engine freshening morphed into a full suspension rebuild, rewiring, etc. Here is a shot after mock up of the tbird disc brakes. The front end is also getting stiffer springs, a big sway bar from the same junkyard tbird and all new bushings. The rear will have stiffer springs, poly bushings, and boxed control arms.

The motorvation will be from the original 352 block bored and stroked to 390 ci, with edelbrock heads, streetmaster intake, solid lifter cam, etc. Here's a shot of it mocked up. The heads, rockers, intake, headers, and carb are all used stuff from craigslist, fordfe.com, and fordmuscle.com. The original cruiso was rebuilt after the ride home in 2001 and is getting a modified valve body--we'll see if it can handle the additional HP of the new motor.

The plan is to keep the column shift, bench seat, and dog dish hub caps, but I may go back to a more stock stance to give it a sleeper/60's superstock vibe. I'm thinking of one of those rustoleum roller paint jobs will probably finish it off.

Comment

Update: Rear Suspension

I finished reassembling the 9inch rear for the galaxie and put together the control arms and track bar. I had the lower control arms boxed while they were out. Hoping that these changes, stiffer rear springs and a rear sway bar will give it that 'likker car' handling as Bill Ballinger would say!!

Drilled several holes in the old rubber bushings and knocked out the inner sleaves--the rest of the bushing comes out easily after that.

The energy suspension kit 4.3120 (designed for a '70s for intermediate Tbird, Torino, etc) was used for the upper and lower control arms. For my car I used the new bushing and the old outer shell and inner sleave. This pic shows how I pried the bushing out of the shell to start it--I then flipped it over and pounded it out of the shell using a large socket and a hammer.

The bushing slides into the old shell without much interference fit, but the old inner sleave is thicker and once pressed in, the new bushing is tight in the control arm. I used a vice to press the inner sleave into the new bushing.

The final product looks like this.

I used a universal bushing kit 9.9106R from energy suspension to replace the original track bar bushings.

Comment

I have made a bunch of progress since the last post. The car is together and running!

It has been on road trips of 200 and 450 miles and has performed flawlessly

The 390 has reasonably good street manners overall and it makes good mid range power and enough vacuum for the brakes, but will wind to 6k cleanly.

The next changes will be to the driveline with a locker and 3.70 or so gears, 31 spline axles, etc. I will be keeping the 3.00 3rd member together so that it can be swapped in for long trips.

ultimately it will get a C6 and gear vendors in place of the cruisomatic, but that is a big investment and will come later.

Comment

LReally like it..black with steelies and small hubcaps looks nice ;).

Comment

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

the guys at fordfe rock don't they?

I miss Bill around here.

I love this car - and your 390 build is spot on -- how often have you needed to adjust the rockers since breaking in the cam?

Which rockers did you go with - stock adjustable 427 style or ???

I see you have a spacer ontop of the intake --- was that to prevent vapor lock issues - or to increase plenum volume?
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

the guys at fordfe rock don't they?

I miss Bill around here.

I love this car - and your 390 build is spot on -- how often have you needed to adjust the rockers since breaking in the cam?

Which rockers did you go with - stock adjustable 427 style or ???

I see you have a spacer ontop of the intake --- was that to prevent vapor lock issues - or to increase plenum volume?

The rockers setup consists of stock shafts, Doug Garifo end stands and solid spacers, and Harland Sharp rockers. I have played with the solid cam's valve lash, so it has gone a max of about 1000 miles between adjustments, but most of the FE forum guys say they check them once a year for good measure, but that they are very low maintenance if set up correctly.

Here is a pic of the rocker setup--great for us Gator fans...

There was some clearancing required on the rockers to fit in the end supports.

The intake is an old Edelbrock Streetmaster and it was recommended by edelbrock to use a 1" open spacer if it would fit. Jay Brown from the FE forum didn't find any HP advantage to one, but I wanted to isolate the carb from engine heat as best I could. I don't have any trouble with vapor lock, etc.

Comment

That's good stuff. Can't disagree with anything you have done with that one. Good on ya.
                          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

badass car - ralph moody is smiling from above

Comment

BADASS.....I love it.

Seth
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X