70 GTO. The 12 step Goat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 GTO. The 12 step Goat.

Yes I am starting another project while I have two underway already. Why? Well this one I can get on the road yet this summer, it would be a driver now with some minor brake work and a new trans. Right now I want to have my Goat on the road for its therapeutic value. So it will get a shave and a haircut so to speak, a quick trip to bare metal, some rust repair, quick dent fixing, and a fresh coat of an as yet undecided hue. The idea behind it is cheap and fast since Summer is almost over. It can have a frame off when the 65 and the Mustang are done. Until then I plan to drive this thing some more. I miss my GTO and the fun I have had in it.

Its the 12 step Goat because it runs on ethanol, right now it has E85 in the tank while I wait for my equipment to arrive, and the cattails to mature a bit more so I can make my own fuel. With a 11:1 455 and 3.42 gears I dont expect it to get great mileage, but I will see what I can squeeze out of it with the basic Th400 and a Qjet on it. We might end up with some heat thrown in, but most likely I will wait with the vapor trials until I can put TBI on it, like a FAST EZ system or a Retrotek. Not sure about the self learning systems and ethanol at this point, so that is down the road a bit. It has been on E85 since 2007, and so far it hasnt had any issues with the stock fuel system parts. They look brand new inside.

The 455 has 5C heads on it so it would run on pump gas, but I have some ported 670 heads fresh from a valve job that are going on it. It will probably keep the RPM intake and Qjet I modified to run on alky, otherwise I might go and drill out the Demon 850 or one of the Holley carbs I have so it can run the E85. It depends on if the Qjet can keep up with the 455 since it has a tiny fuel bowl. So engine work is first, then some body work, and finally a transmission swap since it broke the 2004R I had in it. It likes to break transmissions, heavy car, highway gears, big engine, and it breaks things, go figure. The suspension and brakes are in good shape, I rebuilt them not many miles ago, it does need a brake bleeding though, maybe a new MC too. We'll see.

The floors are in much better shape than the 65, and the body is a world better. This is minor rust for me, and it shouldnt take more than a couple days to eradicate most of the cancer. I am thinking satin black or maybe a nice non metallic shade of something... Carousel red comes to mind.. or Orbit orange, but my yard is full or reds and oranges. Maybe something simple or off beat, I guess I could go with the Palomino Copper that it was born wearing. Its metallic but that isnt a problem really, I just want simple. Still I guess I can use the practice with metallic, the last one came out with tiger stripes on the dark side of the shop.

Here is the 70 that was my daily driver from 1995 until 2004. It has made 1500 miles road trips and hauled my kids and me around with car seats in back. It has suffered the insult of rattle can paint jobs since I bought it. Its been black, red, two tone blue, gold, and yellow. I want to stop the rust and make it look decent from 50 feet or so, just so i can feel good about driving it again and knowing it isnt going to rust more... for a while..

Re: 70 GTO. The 12 step Goat.

Kewl...I got a feeling youre gonna break into this and not stop....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Base/clear metallics are really hard to screw up - but cost more, of course. Just a thought.......

Dan

Comment

Well it is a temporary fix, just to keep it from rusting more, and to make it look halfway decent. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on something I will just sand off again when it gets the frame off rebuild. So a $90 gallon of paint will do the trick.

I used B/C on my Cougar, and that came out very nice, would have been better had I bought a decent HVLP and thinned the clear enough that it didnt peel as bad as it did. I got an advanced education in wet sanding on that one.

Comment

I REALLY like base/clear. I bought the groovy 2 pad wet sanding setup for the A and I can wet sand 'em no time now, so all mistakes are hidden and no one need ever know the truth! If you don't own that arrangement - it's WAY worth it - totally kicks butt. But as you say, pricier to buy the paint, for sure. Our local paint store offers a cheap line of B/C but the clear sucks as far as UV protection. But up there it might be OK, especially for a temporary application.

Dan

Comment

must. see. progress. now...hurry..hurry..hurry.....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Todd - any chance you could take some pics along the way for us non body work types.

Something like this - numbers made up obviously...

Here - I took it all down to bare metal with 80 grit on the DA - took 4 hours.

Here - I shot epoxy primer over all the bare metal- mixed 50/50 with slow enamel reducer (it's hot), at 15 psi, with a #2 tip in my hvlp gun.

After letting the epoxy dry a couple hours - I shot three coats of filler primer - mixed 80/20 with thinner, at 20 psi, with a #3 tip in my hvlp gun.

After sanding the filler primer with 220 and a block - I wiped it down with prepsol and shot a guide coat of black laquer.

after sanding the black with 400 I found some spots that needed attention.

.... you get the idea
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Sanding to bare metal takes a while, usually days to do an entire car by myself. I spent most of today sanding the pass fender for the 65, did a bit of prep work on the 70 so I can get the heads swapped. I think tomorrow will be spent swapping transmissions in my 98 Gran Prix winter beater. I think I want to take the GP to Nebraska to get the kids back home so I need to get working on that very soon.

I'll take pics while I work on it, and show how much I do and how long it takes me. Other people can probably do it faster because I still have limitations. It just appears that I work fast, when really I just have lots of time to devote to a project. But I will let you know how long it takes me so you have an idea. If I wasnt living alone I while I did it, I could get in process pics for you guys. I dont think I will do much block sanding and guide coat on this one, quick and dirty is the theme here. I checked too, I have enough black paint to handle the Goat. Its gonna be black again.. for a while..

I have been thinking, I have a 700R4 sitting here, I could pull it apart and see if the clutches are burned, then get an adapter plate to bolt it to my 455, then I still have OD and a 700 is much easier to build than a 2004R, its a bit tougher too. Those 3.42 gears make it turn a bunch of RPM on the highway, and I am used to it having 2.93 gears and the overdrive. So the OD trans sounds really good to me, and I have all the stuff I need to put it in, other than the adapter plate.

Comment

Indy just did a write up on the 700 so if you need a refresher - you're all set !

I'm a big fan of OD - tough to live without if you're ever going to cruise it on the highway.

So far the only step I've taken to getting closer to the ranger paint job is buying some DA disc packs at the swap meet. :

Comment

I've been rebuilding transmissions for almost twenty years now, got it down pretty good.

The sandpaper showed up from Summit today, they had stick on 6" discs in 40 grit, coudlnt get them through the local stores. I figure I may as well get to bare metal faster, and that is the way to do it. The 80 works but I go through half a roll to do one car. Ordered brush on seam sealer for the 65 with the paper, nobody in the local stores had any idea what I was talking about. How else will I keep the moisture out of the wheel lip joint?

I need to yank a transmission from a FWD Gran Prix today, then I can start the body work on the 70....

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                      I've been rebuilding transmissions for almost twenty years now, got it down pretty good.

The sandpaper showed up from Summit today, they had stick on 6" discs in 40 grit, coudlnt get them through the local stores. I figure I may as well get to bare metal faster, and that is the way to do it. The 80 works but I go through half a roll to do one car. Ordered brush on seam sealer for the 65 with the paper, nobody in the local stores had any idea what I was talking about. How else will I keep the moisture out of the wheel lip joint?

I need to yank a transmission from a FWD Gran Prix today, then I can start the body work on the 70....
                      pulling a FWD transmission out sounds like about as much fun as bamboo shoots under the finger nails - good luck on that one!

40! Damned - that's probably what I should have gotten for the ranger strip job. Come to think of it I need to get a 6" velcro pad - I think my DA still has the old spray tack pad.

Comment

The parts car had an engine fire, so I cut the fried harness off the engine and its coming out the top. Easy as pie. A bud of mine works at a shop in town, he has a lift. I am going to farm out the swap to him, I have other projects to do and pulling the subframe out of a 98 Gran Prix will take up too much of my space and time. Got better things to do, so he can have $350 to swap em, its well worth it to me to pay a good friend to help me. Besides I dont want to do it... I would rather be making the GTOs pretty and functional.

Comment

Couldn't agree with you more! Good call.

After a while - working on DD stuff just becomes a pita!

Comment

swapping a 4T65-HD is not bad i have done it enough :P

Comment

OK - next time I have to work on a FWD - I'm calling you in for reinforcement!
                              (only a couple hour drive!)

Comment

Working...
                              X