Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
    Not EVERY car I own has to be "fast".
    This is my sentiments. My first Firebird with a Pontiac V8, Q-jet, points and 2.73 gears with a 700-r4 got 18mpg around town and 25+mpg on the highway. It also ran 16-17's in the quarter =P I expect this current Firebird to do about the same. Last road trip car got a hair over 20mpg cruising at 3,000rpm. I'm considering sticking the 3.42 gears in it later this year to see how it does. An overdrive transmission is the biggest bang for the buck on increasing fuel mileage.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 29, 2014, 08:35 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post
      I'm still voting Corvair.

you'll never have to worry about leaking coolant all over the place.
      Or you'll ALWAYS have coolant leaking all over the place. (Think about it.........)

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Or you'll ALWAYS have coolant leaking all over the place. (Think about it.........)

Dan
        I dont get it. corvairs are air cooled

you can point and laugh, that one went over my head
        Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Dan's right, there's always air around and under it.

They make up for the lack of coolant leaks, by having even more oil leaks
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Air is the coolant so it's always "leaking" so to speak. Of course, oil is also a cooling medium in all engines and as Jim mentioned they DO have a tendency to leak a bit. We had several in town when I was growing up and some were pretty good while others could be rented to oil your dirt roads (I'm exaggerating just a tad). I grew up in Milford, MI, the home of the GMPG and the engineers often had GM's latest offerings. One of the guys bought the first Turbo 'Vair which was PINK! It was a mule and evidently they thought it was stock enough to put it on the sales lot for an employee to buy. It was pretty quick but like most cars of that era was water-soluable.

Dan

Comment

• well now I feel sily lol

touche' lol
              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Better mileage you say?

70-72 Maverick 6 cyl. Swap an AOD which fits 250 and 300 six-cylinder engines.

Or how about a Vega or Pinto? Better yet, a Gremmie!

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrodfords View Post
                  Better mileage you say?

70-72 Maverick 6 cyl. Swap an AOD which fits 250 and 300 six-cylinder engines.

Or how about a Vega or Pinto? Better yet, a Gremmie!
                  Why not a 3.8/T5 from a late model mustang?
                  Local person
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post

Why not a 3.8/T5 from a late model mustang?

How about I stick a hot poker in my eye? GAG!
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• How much do you drive each day city / highway? What MPGs are you looking for? I don't know anything about corvairs but I don't see it getting great milage. The best way to spend less on fuel is to reduce the miles driven, can you move closer to work?

I sold out a while ago and parked the V8 for a small I4 car. Its hard to have it all comfort, performance, milage. I have yet to find a car that has all three most dont even have two.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        How about I stick a hot poker in my eye? GAG!
                        You always have a way with words that express what I want to say but don't know how to say it.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

This is my sentiments. My first Firebird with a Pontiac V8, Q-jet, points and 2.73 gears with a 700-r4 got 18mpg around town and 25+mpg on the highway. It also ran 16-17's in the quarter =P I expect this current Firebird to do about the same. Last road trip car got a hair over 20mpg cruising at 3,000rpm. I'm considering sticking the 3.42 gears in it later this year to see how it does. An overdrive transmission is the biggest bang for the buck on increasing fuel mileage.
                          No doubt it's great to have an o.d. but at 75 mph or more, you can't really discount aerodynamics. That's where this modern crap gets a lot of it's gains.. .31 cd and 18 sq ft of frontal area.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            How much do you drive each day city / highway? What MPGs are you looking for? I don't know anything about corvairs but I don't see it getting great milage. The best way to spend less on fuel is to reduce the miles driven, can you move closer to work? I sold out a while ago and parked the V8 for a small I4 car. Its hard to have it all comfort, performance, milage. I have yet to find a car that has all three most dont even have two.
                            My commute is probably fifty miles a week which is nothing compared to some. I was thinking about trips to Omaha and such. 350 miles round trip. At 12 mpg, thats $102 in gas at the current prices. If I can get something that makes 18 mpg, its about $65. I am just doing some thinking out loud. I really dont feel like sacrificing the Caprice to winter rust. Buying a winter doesnt seem financially smart either. A cheap car usually requires a lot of work to be reliable. $$$$$. I have also wanted a pickup to be able to haul stuff. Three cars just arent in my finances right now. I absolutely hate japanese commuter blobs. That Corvair is different and looks to be fun to drive. Sure its slow. They are good in snow but have terrible heaters.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• wife's miata is a crappy import...but it is fun to drive, and it was cheap, and gets 30 mpg. There are a few out there that aren't too bad. My son got one too, 4k for a nice 2001 with 40k miles on it.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                My commute is probably fifty miles a week which is nothing compared to some. I was thinking about trips to Omaha and such. 350 miles round trip. At 12 mpg, thats $102 in gas at the current prices. If I can get something that makes 18 mpg, its about $65. I am just doing some thinking out loud. I really dont feel like sacrificing the Caprice to winter rust. Buying a winter doesnt seem financially smart either. A cheap car usually requires a lot of work to be reliable. $$$$$. I have also wanted a pickup to be able to haul stuff. Three cars just arent in my finances right now. I absolutely hate japanese commuter blobs. That Corvair is different and looks to be fun to drive. Sure its slow. They are good in snow but have terrible heaters.

Detroit diesel with a Banks turbo.... something along the lines of a Suburban with 2.73 gears and you'll get 28 mpg and have a winter beater/camping rig. I'm still mad at myself for selling my other suburban...
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X