Another '68 Chevelle ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another '68 Chevelle ...

So an old friend of mine, John Ryan calls me a few weeks ago. He had heard that I retired and was getting back into the racing/hot rod stuff. John is the brother of my brother's ex-wife. We met way back in the 80s, and bracket raced several years together. We turned out to be more like brothers than anything, but over the years with careers, families and such, we kind of drifted apart.

John's car is a 1968 Chevelle Malibu. Back in the day it was painted white (just like mine) only he ran the Cragar SS wheels. He had a 396/350 combo that ran super consistent 14.0s, and he won more bracket races than he lost. Well Johnny resurfaced last year and told me he was putting his Chevelle back together, but over the years, parts had come up missing and it was in rough shape. Last fall he built a 496/400 combo for it thinking he'd go out and run 12/13s and have some fun. He used my machine shop and listened to Troy the owner. Low and behold, he went out last fall and off the trailer on a check out pass....11.27! OOOPS, they told him to slow it down or don't come back.

Last week he picked up a 10 point Alston/Chassisworks cage kits. Yesterday he brought the car over and we started prepping it for the cage so he can run it balls out. I say it'll go 10.60s once it's all sorted out......

So over the next few weekends, I'll be taking this

And putting it in this

First things first though, we'll be replacing the body mount bushings first since I'll be attaching the cage directly to the frame.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Another '68 Chevelle ...

Post install pics...always wwanted to see one go in.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

With that White front Bumper,it looks like one of those White Chocolate Nestle' Bars ;D! Have fun,Kids! ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
        With that White front Bumper,it looks like one of those White Chocolate Nestle' Bars ;D! Have fun,Kids! ~J/W.
        Those are actually the old steel bumpers of my chevelle JW .....

Comment

Looks like a candidate for BB/NA at DragWeek 2010.If need be I can send my videos back to you ;D

Comment

solid body bushing yes/no

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
              Looks like a candidate for BB/NA at DragWeek 2010.If need be I can send my videos back to you ;D
              He's turning it into a "race" car Don, he doesn't want to drive it on the street...something called bracket racing...IDK

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
              solid body bushing yes/no
              yes

Comment

Last weekend we got a good start on it. First we replaced all of the body mount bushings....that was fun...NOT! We were able to get the main hoop fitted and welded to the frame. We discovered that the floor pan is slightly tweaked, but we were able to compensate for it when fitting the hoop.

Then yesterday I had some time and was able to get the front down bars/halo bars in. These are just tacked it right now as I want to get everything else fitted nice and tight before I finish weld it.

A few more random pics of the install....

Comment

Lookin good.

Comment

Now I want to add a halo and front down bars to mine.....it just looks cool!

Comment

Thanks for the Photo's Dan. Maybe someday I'll cage my car.....
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                        Thanks for the Photo's Dan. Maybe someday I'll cage my car.....
                        At least an 8 piont....there's an excuse to come to Denver

Comment

It's DONE!!! (well almost), it just needs the rear bulkhead reinstalled and the window net installed.

I'm kinda proud of how this turned out bringing the cross bar, side supports and down bars all together on the main hoop. A few of the welds are buggered, but all in all it turned out pretty nice.

This is how the door bars tie into the A pillar down bars...

And finally the seat back support and harness attaching point....

I also made seat support bars that tie into the factory floor cross bracing to bolt the seat to, he had the seat bolted thru the sheet metal floor with oversize washers....I think my way will be safer...

Comment

also made seat support bars that tie into the factory floor cross bracing to bolt the seat to, he had the seat bolted thru the sheet metal floor with oversize washers....I think my way will be safer...
                            I agree ;)

Comment

Nice work.

When I did the roll cage in my Buick, I cut holes and went all the way through to the frame. The benefit is that really stiffens the frame (and of course ends the need for plating). Also, I ran bars horizontally with the ground right above the floorboards (to again help stiffen)..... one thing I wish I had done different - moved the bar back about 3 or 4 inches from the door frame so I could better fit in the car (I have longish legs).... just some things to think about before doing yours
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X