No announcement yet.

65 GTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hurst wheels are on backorder, and I need tires for them anyway. Not in the budget to get tires just yet, so I decided to do something else. I pulled the satin slots from the LeMans, and the oxidized slots from the Cutlass, and cleaned them up. Took some sanding on the satin rears, the surface was really rough. Hit it with the DA and 80 grit, the same stuff I use to strip paint. Ran the paper until it was well worn and was making the wheels shiny on its own. Then wet sanded with 400 and a piece of foam insulation. Hit it with the wool buffing pad and some compound, then finish buffed it with a foam pad.

The fronts only needed cleaned with the Rolock, using the white and yellow bristles, then polishing. They have the black wall tires and were on the rear of the Cutlass.

Polishing wheels is some seriously dirty work. I was covered in black stuff, bits of wool pad, and compound. Looks like black boogers for a week or so.Doing it yourself may be dirty and time consuming, but it sure is cheap.

The rears have 275 60 15 tires, they rub the fenders a bit with the car sitting this low. So I will pull the air shocks from the LeMans and use them on the GTO for a while, until I can get different tires. The fronts are winterforce tires I had laying around 205 70 15, kinda tall, and black wall. For now it will work, since the EFI is boxed up waiting to go back. They said I should have a fast turn around on the EFI, we'll see how they do. I'll try to have pics with the wheels on tomorrow, its pushed to the back of the shop so I can work on other stuff, which makes pics hard to do.

Here's how bad the rears looked before polishing. The fronts were just as bad, they are in the pic of the Cutlass

Last edited by Thumpin455; June 24, 2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• Those cleaned up well! Good work!

Dan

Comment

• a lot of work, but, the results are awesome!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• That things looking great!

How do you like the EFI? After reading about it here, I checked their site- looks pretty good, and affordable compared to a lot of others. depending on their turn around time after the failure I may get it this winter, if you like them
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
            That things looking great!

How do you like the EFI? After reading about it here, I checked their site- looks pretty good, and affordable compared to a lot of others. depending on their turn around time after the failure I may get it this winter, if you like them
            It runs ok, was doing great except I have an ignition problem so it was down on power. Going to throw plugs and wires at it next month, see if that makes a difference. Couldn't get an accurate reading with a timing light, so it might end up with a different distributor entirely.

Put the slots on again, the tires are too big right now, they rub and I don't feel like bashing the fender lips around just yet. Sure its an easy fix, but these tires need replaced anyway. I'll put some 255 60 15s on it, they should clear no problem. Front will get 205 to 225 60 15, whatever I can find that matches the rear tread pattern. Now comes the dilemma, do I put tires on the slots, or on the Hurst wheels if the rears ever show up.

Comment

• I like light interiors. Everyone likes black... sit in one on a hot summer day and all of the sudden you're in a humidified sauna with a heated floor.... no thanks.

I especially laugh at the folks with black interiors in convertibles - they must like to burn themselves.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Yeah I got black interior in my Centurion and it cooks. I keep a nice, dark blue, cotton sheet in the trunk for these occasions.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• I'm becoming a fan of the light interior, against the blue it really works. My first car had black with a black vinyl top, heat box in summer. The 72 had saddle brown vinyl in it, lots of sweat in Nebraska summers in that thing. 70 GTO had black comfort weave, which was only kinda rough, at least it breathed a bit. I like the cloth seats in the 98 Formula, which is why I didn't get a Trans Am, they have leather, so I don't slide as much in corners and no sweat.

The white with blue really speaks to me. I dig it. The 65 LeMans will probably get a parchment interior too, since it's going to be the same color of blue as this one.

Comment

• the white or parchment interiors were always cool! I lover
                    Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I agree on the lighter color interiors. I am going to while with black carpet combo that was an option on my car.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• New group that shows before and after. New tires for the slots are on the way. These wheels will go under something else, the Firestones on the slots will go on some Rally II wheels or the five hole Centerlines to hold up the 68. I'll get another set of tires for the Hurst wheels ... if they ever get the rears to me.

Comment

• that lakeside shot looks great!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

• I am giving up on the Hurst wheels. Probably sending the 6" fronts back, because the 8" rears were supposed to ship June 30, then July 8, then July 20, now its September 20. So screw it.

The EFI is back and will be on the car later today. I think this thing needs a different distributor. The HEI in it now runs great for a little while with a new cap and rotor, then gets the same miss after a few miles. Probably worn out bushings. Easy fix, another HEI and swap the cap, rotor, and one of the modules I have for them in the drawer. The other option is a breakerless conversion and an old point distributor, which would look more period correct... but it has EFI. I have the breakerless on the 68, would be easy to swap them around, but I'll see about dropping another HEI in it since that is easy.

Comment

• So the girl who owns the Cutlass decided to get me a birthday present... rims. Mounted and balanced them at a bud's shop today, and finally have all my stereo bits installed, subs, amps, six speakers, all hidden. So sitting in it, you're in 1965, but starting and driving it you're in 2016. I don't think I added that it got the WS6 swaybar from a TA did I? It corners flat, but the tires take a beating. Needs a rear bar, might snag the one from the 70 GTO so it can have a bigger one later.

In da shop...

Comment

• I know Monte Carlo rear sway bar does not line up with a 65 Skylark...

TA's bolt to axle tubes and links up front.. Much better..
                                Last edited by Deaf Bob; July 28, 2016, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X