X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BBR's 83GT

It ws 94 deg here today so I got to do some hot weather driving today. Water temp got to 190-ish and pretty much just stayed there. It actually went down a bit at long stop lights. Made me real happy to see that. A real test will be driving it down the highway though. High side water pressure was 18lbs when the water temp was 190, so it does not look like I am in any danger of pushing water past the upper hose cap.
    https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...ac&oe=54FE283A
    1974 F-250 460/C6 -1983 Mustang GT 545/C6 - 10.46 @ 130 - Drag Week 2012 - SRBB N/A runner-up - Drag Week 2014 - kapooya

Comment

Temperature going down when stopped is a positive sign.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It's got a big honkin fan is what I'm hearing. Good to know they are up to it, item number 793 on my "look into it" list.

Comment

So does all of this mean that THESE are a bad idea?

Seems like they would put the Cap on the High side, or at least real doggone close to it?

Glad to hear you are beating down those gremlins, one by one. Good Work!
          Last edited by STINEY; April 25th, 2012, 07:54 AM.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n29882[/ATTACH]

Comment

They might work fine if you use an expansion tank, but with a mechanical pump, it certainly will make enough pressure to bypass the cap.

I'd rather use an electric pump, have a consistent system pressure, than have coolant bypassing a cap and then having to recover it when it cools.
            1974 F-250 460/C6 -1983 Mustang GT 545/C6 - 10.46 @ 130 - Drag Week 2012 - SRBB N/A runner-up - Drag Week 2014 - kapooya

Comment

Didn't have time to work much this weekend, but I did work on the new 8.8 a little.

- pulled axles
              - pulled brakes
              - pulled seals
              - cut off ends for c-clip eliminators
              - attempted to remove bearings. Ended up bashing my thumb with a 2lb hammer and decided to just get the right tool to remove them instead of inflicting more bodily injury.

Once I get the freakin' bearings out, I will weld the tubes and then it will be ready to swap into the car.

Comment

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALY got the axle bearings out. Got the right tool. Broke it. Got the next size tool, modified it to work, and it did the job.

I also worked on the distributor. I popped the cap and directly measured the mechanical advance with a protractor. It was way way too much. I really only want 10 deg of advance out of this thing at full song, so I did the screw trick to limit the advance to a measured 5 degrees on the distributor (10 at the crank). Now I can reset my initial timing a few degrees higher w/o any fear of this thing going to 40+ degrees at WOT.

If everything goes right, I hope to make a trip to the track on Saturday. Better to break it now, than wait until the day before Drag Week. haha

Comment

Nice work indeed - I would have expected better from that HEI distributor - sounds like the same advance window the duraspark I got for the ranger had - way too much!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Look at you suckers with weights for advances

The biggest problem I have going right now is the distributor in a Ford engine

Comment

Just put a cheapo GM HEI for Ford FE in that sucker!

Comment

I just want something with a VR sensor that I lock out the timing. I should be able to get the points thing working, but for some reason haven't had luck with it. I want to try the hall/opto setting for it, but I loose all tach signal when I set the jumper's accordingly (3.57 board).

Comment

I need the exact same thing, only for the speedboat 390.

Rockauto has them for $70ish, part number 302893 & 842893

I'm still looking for something cheaper too.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n29882[/ATTACH]

Comment

Just use a FE Duraspark.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2780&ppt=C0334

Comment

$50 isn't bad for a new piece. Gonna have to think about that one.

Comment

I don't have a distributor no mo. There are some nest things guys have done with JY Mitsu coil paks and/or Ford EDIS JY stuff. For the guys building MS units the sky is the limit with ingenuity and craftiness and very small $$.
                                Drag Week 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - Big hat no horses Drag Week 2013 - Watching the live feed Drag Week 2014 - Maybe I'll go faster with a 1000 fewer pounds?

Comment

Working...
                                X