My 409/'55 Chevy Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging skull

Last edited by Monk; April 2, 2014, 05:30 PM.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• Pulling the 409 this winter for some house cleaning.
      Part of this will be to exit the Z bar and associated parts for a hydraulic clutch set up.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

• I will be very interested to hear how it feels.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          I will be very interested to hear how it feels.
          You and me both.
          Will get rid of much of the clutter........install is pretty straight forward.
          Thom

Comment

• Cragars went back on last weekend.
            Thom

Comment

• It's good to hear from you Monk!

deserves a full size.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• You can tell I've been away for awhile........thanks Beags
                Thom

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  It's good to hear from you Monk!
                  X2

Comment

• Originally posted by Monk View Post

You and me both.
                    Will get rid of much of the clutter........install is pretty straight forward.
                    I've never driven an old car with a hydraulic clutch, but I've never liked the disconnected feel of a hydraulic clutch in newer cars. I've seriously considered the swap on my Skylark and pending your thoughts I may bring it back to the table. Again, I've never used one on an old car with an aftermarket clutch. Looking forward to it

Comment

• I drove a 57 with a hydraulic clutch, several years ago. The clutch was not done very well, but I recall it worked ok...at least it worked better than the shifter, which was wayyyy too far back to be comfortable.

I think the master cylinder was the same one in your picture, but it was mounted to the firewall, instead of to a bracket. The one you pictured looks like it might work ok. Looks kind of out of place in a car with a W motor, but don't worry, that's just the hamb in me showing.
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Welcome back, Monk - I missed you, too.

That's an S-10 master cylinder - I have one on my race truck. I'm using the Mercedes slave so I can't comment on the one pictured. The system I have feels great but I have yet to fire up the engine so I have no clue how it drives. Mine was a SOB to bleed but that's pretty typical of the Benz slave - no clue how the pictured set-up will be.

Dan

Comment

• After hanging out over at the Tri 5 Forum and 348-409 Group I've found many guys who have opted for the hydraulic set up with good results.

One enthusiast over on 348-409 has developed a couple of clutch parts to fit a '55 Chevy. His master cylinder was on top of brake assembly under dash.
                          I wanted one that was more accessible.
                          I had some issues with my clutch rod after we tweaked a tube on my headers last winter.......ended up with some areas that are rubbing.
                          It was either the hydraulic clutch are do some major mods on the clutch rod.........I chose the hydraulic after researching guys who have done the deal already.

I'll post up progress..........W motor is getting pulled in November and I'm also swapping out steering box........which is a whole other issue.

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

I've never driven an old car with a hydraulic clutch, but I've never liked the disconnected feel of a hydraulic clutch in newer cars. I've seriously considered the swap on my Skylark and pending your thoughts I may bring it back to the table. Again, I've never used one on an old car with an aftermarket clutch. Looking forward to it
                          I'll give you an honest assessment after install...........I agree with you on the disconnect.

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          I drove a 57 with a hydraulic clutch, several years ago. The clutch was not done very well, but I recall it worked ok...at least it worked better than the shifter, which was wayyyy too far back to be comfortable.

I think the master cylinder was the same one in your picture, but it was mounted to the firewall, instead of to a bracket. The one you pictured looks like it might work ok. Looks kind of out of place in a car with a W motor, but don't worry, that's just the hamb in me showing.
                          The master cylinder will be pretty much be un noticeable right under the power brake booster but I agree about the out of place statement.
                          I'm old school as well.

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          Welcome back, Monk - I missed you, too.

That's an S-10 master cylinder - I have one on my race truck. I'm using the Mercedes slave so I can't comment on the one pictured. The system I have feels great but I have yet to fire up the engine so I have no clue how it drives. Mine was a SOB to bleed but that's pretty typical of the Benz slave - no clue how the pictured set-up will be.

Dan

Thank you Dan..........we'll see how the bleeding issue goes when done.
                          I've been told it's pretty easy with this setup.
                          Thom

Comment

• after laying on my back putting in a z-bar for the thousandth time in a prior hooptie car; I swore I'd never do another mechanical clutch - been pretty true to that. While I do get the idea that you can have a clutch that feels like a Honda - the Corvette has a hydraulic clutch that feels nearly identical to the z-bar set up... it's all in the sizing and install. It did take trial and error... and I still should move the push rod closer to the fulcrum - but on the corvette that means pulling the entire dash... which means, it's good enough (or not annoying enough to change).

with that said, do not get a slave cylinder/throwout bearing combo.... keep your clutch fork and put a slave cylinder on the side of the motor. It works better, doesn't overheat, and best of all, if it fails, it doesn't ruin the clutch with brake fluid blown onto the clutch disk.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              after laying on my back putting in a z-bar for the thousandth time in a prior hooptie car; I swore I'd never do another mechanical clutch - been pretty true to that. While I do get the idea that you can have a clutch that feels like a Honda - the Corvette has a hydraulic clutch that feels nearly identical to the z-bar set up... it's all in the sizing and install. It did take trial and error... and I still should move the push rod closer to the fulcrum - but on the corvette that means pulling the entire dash... which means, it's good enough (or not annoying enough to change).

with that said, do not get a slave cylinder/throwout bearing combo.... keep your clutch fork and put a slave cylinder on the side of the motor. It works better, doesn't overheat, and best of all, if it fails, it doesn't ruin the clutch with brake fluid blown onto the clutch disk.
                              I'm opting for the external slave cylinder.........for a couple of reasons one being the one you mentioned.
                              Thom

Comment

• Another vote here for the external slave, not that the vote is needed.

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                                The master cylinder will be pretty much be un noticeable right under the power brake booster but I agree about the out of place statement.
                                I'm old school as well.
                                See if you can have a different reservoir made up for it. A painted tin box with a cap on it would look more "in place'ish" than the plastic reservoir. You wouldn't be able to quickly see your fluid level, but you can't quickly see your fluid level for your brakes either. Something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                                X