Remy's '81 Mirada CMX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remy's '81 Mirada CMX

Bought for $650. Red with white half-roof top. Tuff wheel. Typical late-80's mods. Rough paint and interior, but haven't attempted anything yet. Steering is borderline scary. More to come...
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Remy's '81 Mirada CMX

Some more info...

318/727 car, can't tell rear gears. Early-90's detachable face cassette/CD changer deck, an MTX amp that doesn't work (like the stereo), a flattened driver's seat, and most interestingly...wig-wags (Ever seen a lit-up Diplomat cop car? The headlight flasher system). The interior is all but totalled, the dash is covered in some kind of sticky adhesive and the fabric on the driver's seat is shredding fast.

Driving the Mirada home last night was a challenge. Left Snohomish at about 8:00pm to a torrential downpour. Wipers flat sucked, and the headlights are so far off that they were useless. Add to it the typical overboosted Chrysler power steering and that the car's plates showing tags for 2005, and I prayed for dear life as I drove to the nearest store...Costco. Where I do NOT have a membership. (FU*$*!@#$ car!!!) As the wrath of God pours down on me, I run inside, flirt with the membership station manager (Italian, light accent, librarian glasses.. ;D) and manage to get a new set of blades. Ten minutes to change them over (yup, I'm soaked) and my companion, who is driving my SS, starts to complain of being hungry. We get lost in Kirkland trying to find a Denny's that simply is not there, and ended up eating at the Olive Garden. To the point, we got back to base about 1am, and I stayed up all night cleaning and detailing, to no avail, apparently.

It is pretty fast for a stocker, though. The Lean Burn system is functioning well, and the car likes to cruise at about 80mph.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

What plans do you have for it??We need pics of this beauty ;).

Comment

420 stroker, 727, 9". Put a cage in it and hold on. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by min301
          And a 250 shot......
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
            Originally posted by min301
            And a 250 shot......
            And wheelie bars.

Comment

Let me win the lottery first, guys, so I can pay someone to do the heavy lifting for me! Besides, if I'm building a 420ci stroker, the Diplomat just needs an engine. Finish that thing off first (if it doesn't sell...)

This car...IDK...I am really fighting the urge to jack the back end up and throw mags underneath it. ;D

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpuk-FVDBsw to see the wig-wags...

Comment

Looks great. Just minor work to make is look even better.
                  Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

I was looking at a nasty black '82 yesterday. Hopefully, you will be able to see it here.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Project #1: Gauge lights

Simple enough, right? Driving it home, I noticed that all I could see was half of the fuel gauge, nothing else. I at least need to be able to see the fuel and the speedometer, and dash light bulbs are cheap, so why not?

Well, three hours later...

First things first, getting the dash face off. Pull all the screws, put car in neutral, move face. Find out I have to remove the lower face to get to some of the "plugs" that hold the gauge pod covers in place. More screws. Pull all the plugs out with pliers. So far, so good.

Now, here's the interesting part: The gauge cover comes off in two pieces. One, the right side (covers fuel and RH idiot lights) comes off easily. The left side does NOT...because the light switch is fixed into it, and you have to pivot the whole damn pod around the switch knob. If you leave the battery connected (like I did) you are rewarded for your swearing and efforts with the Mopar (ding, ding, ding..) that will drive you F-ing insane in minutes. I get pod moved, pull out bad bulbs, put in good bulbs. NOTHING. WTF? ...

Shit, the battery!! >

Go out, pop hood, disconnect battery, plug in my last remaining 158 bulb, reconnect battery...lights on...IT WORKS!

Call Schuck's. Have them put two more packs of lights on hold. They close at 9pm. It's 8:48pm. God, I'm glad nobody was out tonight...

Get back, unhook battery, plug in lights, reconnect battery...and the angles sing "Hallelujah!", they work. Rehook/screw down everything, call it a night.

COST: $9.80 for too many 158 dash bulbs
                      TIME: Three fkn hours (should only be about 45 min. if you're less retarded than I am...)
                      EFFORT: Moderate (old, brittle plastic needs careful thought, nevermind not breaking vital gauge components.)

Comment

So, you're that guy :D..... you know, you drove about 5 miles from my place on your way home from Snohomish? Glad you made it, it was a downpour to remember.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                          So, you're that guy :D..... you know, you drove about 5 miles from my place on your way home from Snohomish? Glad you made it, it was a downpour to remember.
                          Oh holy hell...please tell me you didn't actually witness any of that. I swear to God, I couldn't see the road...I was not drunk, I promise...

Or did you see me at Costco as Mother Nature handed me my ass in the parking lot? :D

Comment

So that was you back stroking to a red submarine? ;D
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                              So that was you back stroking to a red submarine? ;D
                              With a girl I've been trying to date for years in the Monte next to it, nice and dry, laughing her ass off as I stand there in a monsoon putting on wiper blades. Oh, it was epic. Wish I had the camera for it. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X