1953 Chevy Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Chevy Truck

My Dad gave me this truck when I was 16yrs old. (I just turned 34) I DROVE it off the trailer, around the block and into the driveway ONE time. Then the tear down began. I had zero mechanical experience, and was funding the project by bagging groceries. Fastforward many years of houses, offroad toys, cheap n' easy mustangs and a list of other distractions... and i'm finally back to the truck. I've spent far more money in storage fee's for this bent, once rolled over farm truck than it can possibly be worth... but it doesn't matter. I love this thing.

Wanting to start with a clean slate, I sent the chassis out to be sand blasted... It was during the teardown that I noticed the significant bend in frame... sweet...:hand:

I managed to get some of the excess firewall holes buzzed up while I was waiting for my turn on the frame machine at the local ROP Body Shop class.

The frame was z'd and bent over about an inch and a half. Not anymore. (now its just shy of 1/16 inch bent THE OTHER WAY... bah... close enough... its not going to the moon afterall...)

So, during the course of this trucks storage, I have managed to collect up some parts. Inevitably, my tastes have changed some over the past 15 years and some of the stuff is not as bitchin to me as when I bought it. I understand the short comings of the MII stuff, but I already have a nice Heidts hub to hub with discs, new rack, drop spindles etc. I have been in contact with an autocross buddy that runs a MII (and smokes all of us most the time) I think with a few adjustments to make more available caster i'll be content with the front suspension. Plus, the packaging is so tidy, I can't bring myself to consider the homely stamped steel GM stuff, and with a pending addition to the family, i'm not in the position to buy a new hub to hub anway.

The trans in the pic is a t3550 from my mustang. I was hoping the case was the same as a later tko-600 to allow me some mock up. Nope. No such luck. I'm in a saving pattern for a fresh tko-600.

Motor is kinda an odd duck. This is a 472 cad. I'm not sure exactly what has me smitten with these... but I can't help it. I dig the idea of something different under the hood. This one is pretty "used" and is being treated to a "Rustoleum Rebuild" in the pic. I'll likely get a cam and some other little goodies before it fires. The ultimate plan is to properly rebuild for boost, add a couple turbos and some Megasquirt EFI... anybody around here know anything about a similar set up? :D

Totally hillbilly, but its entertaining to me to note that the motor was not only in an 1/8th mile drag car in the hands of the last owner, but has survived and won a demolition derby.

So, after I button up the front suspension and set the ride height, its time to commit to a rear suspension. I had purchased a Competition Engineering brand magnum 4 link about 10 years ago... I'm getting cold feet about committing to a "straight line" only kinda rear suspension as i've recently fallen in love with Autocross.

The current autocross car:

I'm looking forward to your ideas!

I had a 500 caddy that was in 7 derby cars! Great motors! My son put one in a 65 Skylark for awhile..
    We now run built small blocks!
    I hope you ran that car again.. Looks to have a virgin front!
    Keep posting!
    Love these old trucks

Comment

great build - I think your transmission may not be terribly happy with the torque the Caddy will put out (in the 550# neighborhood). I had a 500ci Caddy in a 54 studebaker truck - absolutely fantastic motor (also put a 472 in a jet boat). Can't wait to see what's next. As for boosting the Caddy motor - why? 4500 is redline and that is an amazing amount of mass flying inside that motor.... That said, the biggest issue is going to be keeping the heads from lifting. Those motors can make 600 hp and 600 lb torque reliably NA.... not to mention, where are you going to put the turbo(s)?
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 24, 2017, 06:58 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The TKO 600 being saved for has of-course 600 ft/lbs rating... Nice pics, I should think with an autocross Mustang and a fifties truck to cruise, you'd have a pretty great set of cars.

I should add, be careful how you talk about demo derbies, or Bob's gonna send his daughter down to settle things up...
        Last edited by Loren; June 25, 2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

See if you can find Sean Mote - he's the LSR racer who runs the big Cadillac in a (IIRC) '67 Couple DeVille and he's pushed that brick to over 200 MPH. He's learned ALL the soft spots in the Caddy engine and could save you a lot of false steps. Nice guy, too. He was on here but we haven't seen him in a while - maybe FaceBook?

Dan

Comment

Thanks for all the replies Gents'.

DeafBob- I've since started using sbc's too. I have a vortec head 305 currently that refuses to die. Its certainly not "built" but its fair to call it derby prepped for sure. :D Its got two heat race wins, a third overall, and a first overall under its belt.. and I'm thinking its still ready for another (as long as the reason its down on power due to fouled plugs that is!)

SuperNaySayerGuy- KIDDING KIDDING! I really appreciate the discussion. Word has it that American Powertrain can do some polishing and hardening that brings the tko600 torque capacity up to 950ft lbs. I genuinely doubt i'll push too far past the stock rated 600ft lbs... (famous last words right? If they say 600 it should be able to hold 800ftlbs... right?)

As for the "why" on the turbos. Great question. I'd be fibbing if I said the reason was anything more than a desire to build a twin turbo set up. I want to learn to TIG, and doing some turbo/intercooler/exhaust plumbing sounds like a fun way to do so. There is gobs of room up front if I don't feel too attached to the factory inner fender wells.

4500rpm redline. Sure... for stock valvetrain/heads etc. But i've seen some of the motors entered in the engine masters competitions making power over 6000rpm. Don't get me wrong. That doesn't make this suddenly the best idea in the world... but I can't help but be entertained by it still!

Loren- Thats exactly how I see it... but add in the offroad toys, father in laws car and project house and its easy to see why I never finish any of this stuff! As for the derby comments, i've done 7 of them and i'm sure theres more in my future. I don't think anyone that participates in "the armpit of motorsports" that is demo derby would be offended by it being called hillbilly!

DanStokes- Thanks for the suggestion. Its his car that brought me to this website actually.
            Last edited by LERM; June 25, 2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I'm sure you know about them, but these should be your best friends http://www.cad500parts.com/ they've forgotten more then I'll ever know.
              the 6000 rpm motor had substantial lightening on the crank, aftermarket rods/pistons to get there along with aftermarket heads that disposed of the T rocker stands. So you don't fall over - I have LS7 money in my Buick motor.... without the turbos, and without the fuel injection.

as for turbos, I'm doing the whole twin-turbo 455 build in my 50 Buick (named sledanette) - it's amazing how narrow those old cars are.... thus, my warning is more a "spend quality time locating everything" rather then a no... it's possible, but not too easy especially if you want to drive it in the rain. Rain + turbo housings = badness^2

that Buick is, while I'm at it, getting a new, Art Morrison set of frame rails.... which explains why I've missed my done-by-date....
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 26, 2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I've always wondered how a 500 would react to an 8-71 blower on top... the only real issue there is the crank nose probably isn't strong enough to really turn it up to 11

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bKkv2Y1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	855.1 KB
ID:	1207472

Comment

Slowly but slowly.

Comment

XLNT! Keep 'em coming, please.

Dan