1968 Camaro 454

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Camaro 454

Here's an update to the '68 Camaro I mentioned in the introduction thread: IT RUNS!

It still needs shocks, and something has to be done about the trans. The shifter's garbage. It's as slippery as a waterslide. I'm thinking the Thomson detent plate. I'm almost certain the car isn't putting full power to the ground, because it's just not quick enough. My grandfather (who owns the car) is advising against a shift kit because he says it'll burn up the clutches.
    Last edited by JRC99; April 22, 2017, 09:30 PM.

shift kits tend to save clutches and break everything else. that said, most shift kits simply firm up and speed up the shifts - and don't usually break things.

cool car
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'll talk to him about it. I know I've heard the B&M ones are junk, but I've heard the TransGo ones are really good.

Comment

Yipee.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	18083623_1284080078336797_1089022513_o.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	1155340

Name:	18159635_1284080081670130_1036803728_o.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1155341
        Trans line burst right up near the cooler.

Comment

ok, not trying to be preachy, bear with me--i actually have been A.S.E.
          certified in automatic transmission overhaul since 1992.

as noted above shift kits actually SAVE clutches...
          the way you make an automatic shift "smooth" is
          to drag the clutches slightly when engaging--sorta like
          'riding the clutch' when shifting a stick.

the abrupt shift afforded by shift kits eliminates the drag
          thus prolonging life--less drag = less wear.

for my money, its almost impossible to make an automatic
          shift 'too hard'--if you chirp tires at anything over 1/4 throttle,
          that sounds just about perfect. id rather change ujoints than
          rebuild a trans.....

nothing wrong with the B&M kit, they work and are easy
          to install. personally my favorite is a custom valvebody
          from TCI, fairbanks, A-1, take your pick.

thats what i run in the white 454 vette in my avatar.
          a race prepped TH350 (kolene steels, red alto clutches, teflon
          rings, thrust washers instead of bushings, 36 element
          intermediate sprag with hardened race, HD drums, etc...)
          and a TCI full manual reverse valvebody with engine braking
          in all 3 gears.

why not a TH400 you ask? many reasons...including cost.
          what i would have spent rebuilding a TH400 to stock
          specs, i built my TH350 to take 600+hp easily.
          its also smaller, lighter, fits in car easier, has better gear
          ratios (TH400-2.48 / 1.48 / 1:1 vs TH350 2.52 / 1.52 / 1:1...)
          AND eats up to 30hp LESS than a comparable TH400.

just my opinion, and you know what they say about those.....

that being said, "usually" the trans behind a 454 is a TH400.
          nothing wrong with it, if thats what you got keep it. its got
          a well deserved reputation for being almost bulletproof.
          stick in any shift kit and it will help-- as long as the trans
          is currently in good working order and its installed
          correctly!

if the trans is already slipping, its time for a good quality rebuild.
          unfortunately theres no such thing as a 'miracle in a can'.
          (or box, or package, or...)

good luck and keep us posted-my younger brother has a
          67 camaro, we just built and installed a 427 big block with
          rectangle heads, 11-1 L88 replacement pistons, an isky
          304/.612/108 etc, and a keisler 5spd with 4.10 12 bolt.....

Comment

Very cool car! Let me know if you have any shock questions. I would be happy to answer any you may have.
            CHECK US OUT AT:
            www.ridetech.com

Comment

Been a while. We've replaced the shocks (same as before- HiJackers) and I've finally felt this thing launch in first gear. Good lord.
              Right now, the car's down with a brake pulling issue, and needs a shifter cable. It's going into the shop later this week for both, since we aren't sure what the brake issue is, and my grandfather's 65 years old and can't really mess with them for hours like he used to be able to. Ditto for the cable.

Name:	ZjOEzFk (1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	978.7 KB
ID:	1167385
              Last edited by JRC99; July 18, 2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRC99 View Post
                ........... I've finally felt this thing launch in first gear. Good lord. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1167385[/ATTACH]
                yup. that about covers it, hah hah. nothing like a healthy 454
                to plant you in the seat HARD, and if built right they will easily
                pull well past 6500rpm even on a flat tappet hydraulic...
                although i dont recommend that unless you at least run ARP bolts,
                better yet 7/16 in the rods. or aftermarket rods.

stock 3/8 i wouldnt spin past 5800rpm or so, in case you get the
                "exit, stage left--stage right even" from the crankcase.....

Comment

Oh, don't worry, this car's a cruiser, aside from occasionally acting like hooligans, it rarely gets driven hard, and it doesn't get revved too hard. Except for this video.
                  454 with 10.25:1 compression, Comp Cams Magnum Hyd. Flat Tappet 305H cam. .575 lift/ .305 duration. 2.5 inch exhaust with Flowmasters.45410.25:1 compression2...

....Speaking of RPM, I really need to get over there and make sure the cylinder switch on the tach is set right. It's not even close to accurate.

Comment

It's been about 5 years. In that time, I've done... absolutely nothing. Well, not nothing. Lots of fun little detail work.

The car never made it to the shop. I'm not super mechanical, so the thought was that my Pappaw would have the major stuff (front disc conversion and collapsed lifter, and probably a dead cam lobe knowing my luck and the fact that we didn't learn for certain it has a flat tappet cam until 2015, meaning we weren't running any high zinc oil or additives) taken care of by a shop since I never had the money. Always talked about it, never did it.

Well, unfortunately, last month, our family lost our hero. He was 70. Lung cancer, and/or COPD.
                    Our last conversation was about 20 minutes before he passed. It was about a 383 stroker in his garage. The entire family said his voice was much clearer when we were talking. I like to think I gave him one last burst of energy. I'll miss him the rest of my life.

So, where does that leave his toys? Well, the Foxbody is mine for sure. That car has his DNA all over it. It will never leave this family. That car might get its' own thread at some point. The Grand National is going to my aunt, which is good because she loves that car even more than I do. The Chevelle in my profile picture is up in the air.

Technically, everything is for reasons relating to paperwork. Nobody in the family is fighting on anything but nothing got notarized.

So, if all goes right, the Camaro is mine too.

With that said, he told my aunt he never could figure this car out. It's never run quite right. Always super rich, always temperamental, even when he bought it. The man was ASE certified (I have his certification ring) and had been playing with cars since he was like 15. That 383 was, from what I've heard, a wicked little runner. The Chevelle's 396 runs great. Really, life got in the way of him spending the time on this car.

But he told my aunt that the Camaro is my car to fix. That it'll be up to me. And that means if I can keep it (I hope and think I can) I will damn sure figure it out.

So what's all the minor stuff I've done? Well, I put plug wires on it, valve covers (gotta remember this was all busywork since we thought it would go in a shop at some point so my main goal was to amuse myself in the meantime), a stereo and speakers, and the Thomson detent plate.

The problem now with the shifter is the cable is wrong, I alluded to that in my first post. The shop replaced it, but wherever they got parts from couldn't get the right one, I have a new one that is correct for it. The slipping is generally just waiting for the seals to swell back up after sitting. I believe that's how it was explained to me.

I seem to remember that it will slip the first time or two you drive it after a few months and then it stops doing it with use and temperature. Either way, I'll baby it for a while when I get it going to triple check).

I also had the slapper bars redone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Camaro Old 1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	311.4 KB ID:	1317952

That's with the old plug wires and valve covers, and with an air cleaner that was way too small.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Camaro Engine 1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	374.5 KB ID:	1317950

At least it's pretty!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Camaro 1280.jpg Views:	0 Size:	548.1 KB ID:	1317951

So the list is this:
                    -Valve train issue (praying for just a lifter, expecting a cam and lifters)
                    -Front disc brake conversion
                    -New oil PSI and temp gauge (the old electric blue line Suns are cool but I don't trust them. Not to mention I hate wiring and given I don't exactly have the wiring diagram for 50 year old aftermarket gauges.... Going to Sun Green Line Mechanicals when the time comes)
                    -Fix the shifter
                    -Sort cooling issue- may be related to engine tuning but I'd like a better radiator anyway.
                    -Speaking of tuning, do that. Lol.
                    - Maaaayyybeee new mufflers? I really want a pair of the vintage Thrush tin cans but I'll probably have to settle for the Cherry Bomb Ol' Skools. 2.25 mufflers on 2.5 inch pipe? Bah, it's a cruiser. Hopefully won't choke it down much. The Flowmasters sound great and all, but I want something different.

I just wanna cruise.
                    Last edited by JRC99; April 21, 2022, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X