No announcement yet.

The Wanderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the bed set up. The whole set up is pretty cool! Have fun at the rally. Wish I were going, maybe next time.

Comment

• It's fun. But I have more work to do. 5 mph at the top of pass. These motors do better so that will be next diagnosis. But first fun at rally. Pictures coming soon
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• ...at least it made it!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• THE WANDERERS #20

WHEN THE FLAG DROPS!
          By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, they had just completed a shopping spree in Ensenada, Baja, Mexico... and Carl had decided to enter the Baja Safari, a timed rally that was to be run in conjunction with the Baja 500 race.
          The competitors would actually drive on the same course as the regular racers, but would start after them, and would have to drive against the clock. We join them as they leave the sign up booth and head for tech inspection.

"Uhh. sir, are you going to race this... thing... in the Baja Safari?"
          Carl eyeballed the tech inspector. "Yeah. What about it? This here is a stretched wheelbase, four wheel drive Suburban. Ain't you ever seen one before?"
          "Oh, yes... of course. But I've never seen one with a boat on the roof, a satellite dish, two trail bikes, four roll-out awnings, a fold-up porch, an external barbecue and an outside shower."
          Carl beamed. "Hellsfire, boy, then you ought to take a looksee inside. You're really gonna be impressed!
          They clambered up inside the huge Suburban and Carl gave the inspector the tour.
          "This here's the fold down table, and over there is the stove and fridge. I keep the fishin' rods on the roof, and over there is the fold-out beds. The TV, stereo and VCR is over here and the pool table is tucked in alongside the fridge. The generator hangs out on the back rack where the big trail bike is mounted, and I got six batteries under the hood. There's two winches in case I git 'er stuck, which is highly unlikely, because I am a muchly skilled driver. And there's a half dozen other goodies I ain't even showed you. Well, whaddaya think?"
          The tech inspector just stood there, jaw hanging, eyes bugged out.

Forty hours later, Carl and Emma were sitting in The Whale, lined up to compete in the Baja Safari. The regular racers were up ahead, roaring off the starting line, one every 30 seconds. It would be two hours before the Safari entrants rolled.

Carl bit off a plug of tobacco and grumbled. "Jeez, Emma, you'd think they'd woulda left some of our stuff in The Whale. Do you realize our truck here is practically gutted? No fridge, no tables, no beds, no TV... they even made me take the boat off the roof and both trail bikes off the bumper racks. Well, guess that's the price you gotta pay to be a big-time racer, right Emma? Emma? Emma, you OK?"
          Emma had the fingernails of both hands buried into the dash, her face was pale and a large blue vein throbbed visibly in her forehead.
          Carl patted her comfortingly on the shoulder. "Now, dear... don't you worry none."
          Emma looked up sharply. "Worry? I'm not worried. I'm sick as a sheep dog that just ate an Army boot. I feel like I might die and I'm afraid that I won't."
          Carl spit a small wad out of the window of The Whale. "No doubt it was those 14 margaritas you drank over there in Hussong's Cantina the other day. Boy, I was wondering where you got off to. And you know, it's not like you to drink much more than a glass or two of Boones Farm Strawberry Ripple wine every now and then."
          Emma shuddered. "Carl, you big bozo, I was hoping to get drunk and get thrown in jail so I wouldn't have to race in this dumb race with you."
          Carl raised one eyebrow. Spit it out, Emma. What are you really trying to say? I mean, if you didn't wanna race, you shoulda said something. Well, anyways, it's too late now. We'll be up and rolling before you know it. And you're gonna have the ride of your life!"

Carl rolled forward on the crowded main street of Ensenada, which was blocked off for the start. Only one truck was in front of him... and then it was gone, accompanied by a chirping from the rear tires on the pavement.
          Carl smiled a crafty smile. That's a start? Hellsfire, he'd show them a start! After all, he had a 454 under the hood, and it wasn't a stocker, nosirree, not by a long shot.
          The starter waved The Whale forward and Carl inched up carefully, put it in neutral and rapped the healthy motor a few times. Impressive, yes indeed, even the causal observer could sense that.
          The starter pointed the flag at Carl, and indicated with his fingers that ten seconds were left. Carl depressed the clutch, and revved the engine: five, four, three, two, one! Carl let the clutch and smashed the gas pedal. The engine screamed and the tach leaped for the red zone.

And The Whale stayed right where it was.

Vehicles tend to do that when they're in neutral.

Carl looked down sheepishly, and then slammed the shifter into gear, then let the clutch go. The Whale lurched backward and slammed into a Toyota 4-Runner directly in line behind Carl. The sound of breaking glass and bending metal was clear and loud.
          Whoops!
          Carl quickly yanked the shifter out of reverse, put it in low, the punched the throttle again. One entire bumper and half of the grill was ripped off the Toyota and both awnings on The Whale unfolded from the impact and rolled out to full extension. Carl thought he ought to get out and hook the awnings back up, but a glance in the rear view mirror showed an angry driver getting out and waving his fist.
          Now seemed like a good time to leave. Carl wondered why the Toyota driver was so upset. Hey, he thought, racing is racing, and you can't whine over a little incident.
          Carl looked over to the right side. Emma had her face covered up with both hands and her knees were clapping each other like one of those little toy wind-up monkeys you get at the carnivals. Carl sighed. Some people just weren't cut out for racing.

The first part was simple and easy... just paved roads and streets leading away from the town of Ensenada, but Carl knew that some real off-roading was coming up. Now would be a good time to calm Emma down before they got to the rough stuff.
          "Emma? Honey-pot? Why don't you whip out that there rally map and see what pace we gotta maintain to win this here rally?"
          Emma let out a pitiful moan.
          "Hey, you feelin' worse dear?"
          Emma shook her head from side to side. "No. It's just that you left the rally map and times back in the hotel room."
          Carl sighed. "Well, never you mind, honey-pot. We're gonna do just fine. Way I figure it is this: most of the people in this here event ain't even gonna finish it. I got everything under control."
          Emma looked out of the window at both awnings flapping in the breeze like some sort of giant prehistoric pterodactyl, and wondered if, indeed, ANYTHING, was under control!

What will happen when they hit the dirt? Stay tuned, because next month we'll join Carl and Emma in the thick of battle. Sends shivvers up my spine just thinking about it!

Comment

• so what happened?
            we made it back

details it ran, went slowly, made a log-truck's day, have a few things to do and still need to finish it.
            So I left Thursday morning for a 1 1/2 hour drive to Plain Washington. Took 2 1/2. Climbing 5000 feet went very slowly because it would get warm and I'd stop and let it cool. By the end, I was in low range going 5 mph. Likely issue is the pump is the wrong pump... when I did the work on the motor, I was told a place did the work on it - and they were experts. They may be experts who never saw it, or maybe idiots who need their tools relocated to save others. The pump is, I suspect, a 1/2 ton pump. That's a quick 10 hp loss. Then there was the timing. They had it very wrong and I fixed it. Which helped it go faster (probably wouldn't have made the top if I hadn't do that bit). But what I also think they did was they reduced the pump pressure. I go no smoke, not even at WOT, hot and on a climb.... to me that means they turned the pressure down rather then up. That would cause the overheating because it would be running lean. Normally, after a turbo install, you turn the pressure up to get more fuel.... then you get a bit of black smoke.... no big deal, not a cloud, just so black at full throttle....

On the way back, things were better because I wasn't starting at 400 feet above sea level, but nearly 2500 and the pass is 4500. Still, I have many bad words to say about the camper who let people past then cut me off at the bottom of a climb because she didn't want to be stuck behind me....yeah.... she added 30 minutes to my drive. How do I know her? well after me using her as a wind break and laying on my horn she got the idea and moved so I could pass.... of course, by then the damage was done.... still, it worked very well. The bed is great, the insulation helped, I had an electric heater the last night but didn't need it, the refridge is absolutely awesome, the solar panels kept the batteries fully charged. wheeling was awesome.

It was a good trip.

Comment

• Sounds like a shake down Par Excellence. Now to find the RIGHT shop...... or become that shop.

Dan

Comment

• It's all about level of pay for hours worked...

Comment

• sue their asses off if you can find a suitable litigator,,,,,
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• I would, but there really is no market for asses. Matter of fact, I have several asses I need to unload - so if you're short on asses, let me know and I'll gift them to you.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 19, 2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Update goes like this:

In a couple weeks, I'll take the rig to a shop to turn up the pump. Between now and then I'll do a filter swap and change the lift pump. On top of that, I'm changing filters - I really dislike the square filters because they're such a pain to swap. Not just that but I think the housing on this one has issues (which could, actually, be part of the problem)...

Comment

• My story gets interesting before last year's rally so it starts there.
                          I pulled this out of a garage in September of 2015

and by May of 2016, I was narrowing in on taking it to the Rally.

that picture is a great one, it also is of a non-operable vehicle as the motor was seized and the picture was taken while waiting for a tow.
                          it's probably a good thing I didn't make it because at that point it was nearly undriveable and had a serious electrical gremlin.
                          Because I was continuing to struggle with that rig, I abandoned my plan to build a teardrop and picked this up (which would make my overland rig a towed rig)....

With that background, eventually I dialed in the FJ40 so by the Rally, it would have been fine towing a teardrop.... but whatever, I was committed - and hearing the scuttlebutt from people who didn't know that walls have ears was actually pretty funny (yes, I dared tow the FJ40). But nevermind, I like unique rigs, and a diesel Sub towing a not-much-left-from-toyota '40 seemed to fit right in. especially since the prior years I was in my H3 Hummer

... and despite the haters, there were a lot of people who really seemed to dig both rigs. This also kind of explains why the '40 came along - by gosh or by golly it was going to make the Rally and be successful. So here the story pick up.

in the winter months, the '40 has a soft top on it.... but after April, it comes off

also removing to top saves weight - an important consideration when you're going to be going 5 mph is low range at the top of Steven's Pass.

and we're off
                          we arrive and on Friday decided to try out the obstacle course

such a blast, so I had a few friends drive it as well
                          and no, it's not me driving

the guy driving is my neighbor and the one who owns the Yellow Jeep you see in several pictures. we met when I was broke, again, and he helped me get it home. We've been friends ever since
                          the grin is still on his face

next up, another friend who was given the instruction "drive anywhere you like, you won't get in trouble"... my land cruiser has grown up... :D this friend drove the white/black Hummer H3T - and was talking about how we'll be building something comparable for him

then Jim .... my favorite line "aren't you supposed to be teaching?" when the other instructor saw him driving. Fun fact, it was in 2 wd for the course for him (inadvertently, actually)

Hallie has become adept at waiting for us to fix our rigs.... that said, she tore it up on Sunday on the course

the true test, though, was driving the 50 miles to Liberty, running the trails then driving it back.... of course, air must be let out because we're old and John doesn't have lockers

I have a picture of this spot and a friend doing a moon shot in his CJ5.... longer wheelbase and travel made this seem a lot easier

who needs lockers?

last year, I had to fold the mirrors of my H3 in to clear these trees....

I may or may not have warned John about this hole

some splashing too

stumps are for flexing - though I think all our flexing on this stump may have ended its usefulness (I have similar pictures of years past)

time to fire up the York compressor and fill us up (note for next year - mosquito spray)

the greatest paradox - people who strive to get away from everyone, camp together in a meadow. Was a lot of fun

going the other way was far less stress (helps when you're starting 2000 feet higher )

and home

can't wait for next year

Comment

• To run those trails with a rig such as your's.... I am jealous!

Comment

• Great photogravure! (Look it up, kids.....)

Dan

Comment

• Thanks for sharing. The FJ is an amazing piece of work!
                                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                                74 Nova Project
                                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                                79 Chevy Truck Project
                                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Working...
                                X