• structure

more tomorrow
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• new windshield (and a bunch of rock-chip fixes) thanks Speedy

and more fitting

Comment

• Gonna be 12,000 lbs empty weight easy!
        Like what you are doing...

Comment

• getting closer

Comment

• Found a actual photo of the astro project . My example was pretty close .It's sitting by the GTA which was the projects undoing .Sorry about the sideways photo . Hope you have a laptop .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• It fell over

Comment

• So it seems to be taking shape.

one of the things I wasn't thrilled about was the loss of passenger-carrying capacity. This isn't somewhere I'd want to sit for long periods, but will be good enough for short jaunts

then that simply flattens out to a bed. Bonus is that will be where the pooches sleep

there's the lay out. On the sides will be (at about halfway up the window) wire shelves.

running out of time, but I think I'll at least get the bed in place

Comment

• THE WANDERERS #19

TOURISTS OR RACERS?

By Rick Sieman

When we last left Carl and Emma, Carl was talking with the SCORE/Baja 1000
                  race promoters about entering the Baja Safari, a non-racing rally event
                  that runs on the same course as the Baja 500. Emma, quite naturally, was
                  horrified.

She insisted that Carl think about it for a few hours before committing to
                  such a foolish endeavor with their beloved Suburban; so Carl agreed to do
                  a few hours of shopping in beautiful downtown Ensenada with her. We join
                  them now as they wander (what else?) through the streets.

Emma dragged Carl into a small shop. "This looks like a nice place, dear.
                  I want to get a new purse; my sister told me you can get some great deals
                  here if you know how to haggle with the shop owners.
                  Carl snorted. "Hah! Woman, you're liable to walk out of here with a bunch
                  of junk if you ain't careful. Most of this stuff is aimed at tourists."

Twenty minutes later, they left the shop with a new leather purse slung
                  over Emma's shoulder; Carl carried a huge black velvet painting of Elvis
                  fighting a bull, with a burning ship sinking in the background. Carl
                  beamed. "Lookit this, Emma! This painting has got it all! There's Elvis,
                  and he's got those big eyes like a wounded harp seal. Then you got some
                  action with the bullfight, and in the background you got a sinking ship.
                  There must be two or three dozen pictures of different kinds of cactus in
                  the left-hand corner. This here's a masterpiece! And the best part is the
                  sparkly stuff they glued on the guitar. When you move the painting, it
                  catches the light like sun on a dead catfish."
                  Emma looked at the painting as if a sea gull just pooped on her shoe.
                  "Well, it's a bit big for the Suburban, but it certainly is … ahhh …
                  different."
                  "Yup. And I got a real deal on it. The guy wanted a hundred bucks, and I
                  haggled him down to $98.50. I saw tears in his eyes, but hey, business is
                  business."

As they walked down the street, however, Emma saw about 150 other
                  identical paintings, most of them selling in the $20 range, frame included.
                  Tactfully, she did not point this out to Carl.
                  After accumulating a huge sombrero, a model ship made of string and wood,
                  a pair of sandals made out of tire tread, a Rolex watch for $18, a plastic
                  saint for the dashboard, a chess set with carved pieces that look like
                  melted candy bars, a wooden pelican, a clay flower pot, a serape with owls
                  circling around a dead rabbit on it, a belt four inches wide with a
                  two-pound buckle, and a hand-woven basket to hold their laundry.

All this shopping made them hungry, so Carl and Emma stopped in one of the
                  many small restaurants for a bite to eat. Carl grabbed the menu and
                  studied it. "You gotta be careful, Emma. Drink one glass of water, and
                  chances are you'll keel over like a snake just bit ya. Drink all the beer
                  you want, but make sure you eat a ton of hot sauce with it or it'll make
                  your blood circulate backwards. That's what my buddy, Howie, told me.
                  A smiling waiter walked up. "Buenas dias, friends. What can I get you?"
                  Emma pointed at the menu. "I'll have a number 26, please."
                  "Good selection, senora. That will give you a sampling of many different
                  dishes. And for the senor?"
                  "I'll have this here Jalapeno Special, and put some serious hot sauce on
                  it. None of that wimpy stuff. And bring me a couple of cold suds, too."
                  "Cerveza?"
                  "No. Beer. Cold ones."

"Will he be okay, doctor?"
                  "Oh, Si, senora. He only has a small cut on his lip, and his stomach will
                  be just fine in a few hours. The cut ?"
                  "Oh, that? That's when he stuffed his face in that bucket of mop water on
                  the restaurant floor. He must have banged it on the edge, or maybe the mop
                  handle. You see, that special was soooo hot."
                  "Yes, I know. My people tend to like their food on the spicy side, but
                  even the bravest of them normally do not add hot sauce to a platter of
                  fried jalapenos and chili peppers. Make sure that he takes some of this
                  medicine each hour for the rest of the day."

Later that day, a recovered Carl and a happy Emma walked in to one last
                  shop. Emma bought a sweatshirt that showed Spuds McKensie getting run over
                  by a Corona truck on the front, and Carl put on the Baja 500 T-shirt he
                  had just purchased.
                  The saleslady handed them their change and asked: "Is the senor here for
                  the big race.
                  Carl perked up. "Yup. And I think I just might sign up now that I'm
                  feeling better."
                  The smile disappeared from Emma's face and she let out a moan.
                  The saleslady asked: "Is the senora sick?"
                  "Naw. Just musta been something she ate."

The next day, Carl stood in line with numerous other drivers signing up
                  for the Baja 500 Safari Rally. It is, indeed, an interesting concept. The
                  drivers get to drive their rigs on most of the same course that the racers
                  do, but with a few important differences: They start after the racers, and
                  they run on timed rally rules, rather than flat-out racing.
                  A great deal, of course, depends on the co-pilot, who has to act as the
                  navigator and feed the driver information.

"Sign here, sir. Now, who will be your co-driver?"
                  Carl smiled broadly. "Why, my wife, Emma, naturally. Hellfire! She gets me
                  all over this here country without getting lost, so I figure this should
                  be no sweat. Emma? Emma? Now where did that woman get off to?"

Whoa, folks! It looks like Carl up and did it. But where's Emma? And will
                  they actually compete? I don't know about you, but, quite frankly, I'm
                  getting worried. Next month should be interesting.

Comment

• framework is painted... Sunday assembly

Comment

• alrighty then.... still wondering how much I'll have done before the NW Overland Rally...
                      Let's just clear the air - I hate wood, I hate trees, firewood is good as I'm really good at making it... so if you're expecting a treatise on how to carpenter, you'll be disappointed.... okay, with expectations lowered... here we go

I do like liquid nails, though... makes putting this together much easier

inverter

water pump

basic idea of the stove shelf

and the bed shelf

and the seat/bed extension.... not done yet, but very close

need to get more piano hinge and this is ready for paint

so the legs simply fold down... it'll be far clearer once it's all installed

Comment

• You are getting there!

Comment

• I need another Sunday to get done and it just isn't going to happen. Tomorrow night is probably going to be the last of the building until after the rally. At this point, I don't have long enough cords for the solar panels.... ugh.

anyway, bed frame is done

battery holders.... 50% is now in place

no picture but I have protection under the battery, now just for the ends

it's a race to finish enough...

Comment

• we have power

connected all the various power sources together

water won't be done, propane neither but it should be comfortable...

Comment

• It ain't done done, but it's going - had to pray up my turbo... it stuck but fortunately a bit of driving and all is good for now

So, loaded and ready to go (well, other then clothes and food, but the important stuff is on

lordy I hate sorting from all my other camping excursions... my hope is this is the one-rig-to-rule-them all. Failing that, it's where the sports closet is getting stored.

the foot was for sanity - makes it a lot easier to store stuff under

Friend loaned me his brand-new trailer.... thanks John! or maybe I should thank John's brother since it's his trailer :D

Comment

• Cool beans brother!
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X