The Ramp Rat...never ending story!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ramp Rat...never ending story!

Ok since everyone has been asking here goes. I spotted this thing back about 4 years ago in a guy's junkyard, it was actually beside his house off to itself. You could barely see it because of the weeds! I stopped and no one was there so I went back about a week are so later and talked to his son who runs the junkyard. His dad owned it but said he would sell it. It took several month's for me to get him and talk to him about it. He was asking to much money for me to buy it though at the time. I went back several times and asked about it but he never would budge on his price so I just left it alone until this summer when dad went on the buying spree!
    The first pictures are as when I saw it the first time! As you can see it was not easy to spot. When dad and I went to look at it it wasn't there. I thought man he sold it but once we stopped and talked to Jack he had took it across the street and parked it up in the woods under a old barn. He put the rear brake shoes on it but not the fronts. I had them done first thing along with the carb rebuild and new front shocks. The day we got it while dad and Jack where talking we had to go down in the yard and get a fuel pump for it. It started leaking as we where talking.
    it's got a long way to go but I think I can get it road worth by next HRPT in 2018! That's my plan any way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	first time.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1140178

Name:	first time1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1140179

Name:	first time3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1140180

Name:	first time4.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1140181
    Retirement is better than I thought!

Custom cab trim, WestCoast mirrors, Clearance lights, headache rack and a ramp bed...........what's not to like?

Can't wait to follow along on this one.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thanks for the build thread! We'll all follow along - and you'll have a record of the project.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; January 9, 2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The drive home was only about 15 miles but it took almost a hr. Then when I did get it to my drive way dad decides to stick the S-10 in my ditch. To this day I have no idea what he was trying to do. He is 92 years old so I don't get on him to much. The truck cranked right up at Jacks but after that I had to squirt gas in the carb to get it cranked. Everytime I cranked it!
        So the first thing done was carb rebuild and front brake shoes and shocks installed. Fixed the carb issue. I got that done then the radiator. I got the radiator fixed and started on the heater. I took the fan switch a part and cleaned the contacts and put it back together and all three speeds work now. I too the old crappy radio out and plan to install a cheap o! I took the brake cylinder off and bought a booster and linkage for it. It has good brakes no with little foot pressure. The heater core started leaking so that was took out and I'm waiting on parts to put it back together so I can start on the rear end rebuild. The rear end is going to be a learning experience for me I've never done one like this. I drove it in the snow here Saturday and had to stop at O-Reillys and get a set of wipers. I'll work on the water sprayer's some time soon. I may do the same mod to this as I did on the 71 and add electric washer jug.
        The power steering is ok but I have never seen one you push it up to tighten it. It fooled me for a few minutes while I was trying to tighten the belt up.

I have a new Tilt wheel column coming for it along with a new dash pad. The seat needs recovering are buy another seat.

I want to add some simuators also some day to it. If anybody knows a good set to buy!

Name:	IMG_4934.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1140325

Name:	IMG_4933.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1140326

Name:	DSCF6780.JPG
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	1140327

Name:	DSCF6805.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	1140328

Name:	rear ds wheel.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1140329

Name:	16 inch simulators.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1140330

Name:	Dash installed.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1140331

Name:	multi.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1140332

Name:	KYXT5551.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1140333

Comment

Another day another score! Picked up a bench seat and electric washer out of a Chevy truck for $100.00.
          The seat has the arm rest in it and the one in my 71 was nice so I hope this one will seat good to. I even have a extra set of shoulder belts for it also!
          The seat will need to be cleaned good and the old took out. I need a couple of days to do it and the next few weeks are going to be full. So that's on hold for awhile.

Got the jug mounted & wired but need the water hoses to complete.

For the guy's who want to do this mod a little info on wiring.
          The pump is hot all the time. Run the red wire from pump to 12 volts. I placed a 20 amp fuse inline with it also. Run the ground to the dash switch and plug it to the inside wire on the switch. When you push the wiper button in the pump is activated.
          The switch has 3 wires connected to it with a plastic holder. 2 wires are side by side the inside one is the one you want.

Name:	89 RED seat.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1140943

Name:	Washer Jug!.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1140944

Name:	67-72 wiper switch.JPG
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1140945

Comment

What year range is the electric washer pump. That seat looks great. No real wear on the drivers side by the door.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
              What year range is the electric washer pump. That seat looks great. No real wear on the drivers side by the door.

88 and up Chevy truck. I have also used a late model Chevy car in my 71. They are simple to hook up.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy4639 View Post

88 and up Chevy truck. I have also used a late model Chevy car in my 71. They are simple to
                hook up.
                I hooked one up on my West Coast Mirror, tp blow into the next lane...
                Funny to watch snooty chicks in verts react!
                Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 17, 2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

I hooked one up on my West Coast Mirror, tp blow into the next lane...
                  Funny to watch snooty chicks in verts react!
                  I had a buddy had a bulldog on the forks of his Harley with a water pump he would be at shows and squirt women with it. Most where pretty good about it some got pissed!

Comment

I had a friend with a jeep Cherokee you could pull the rear washer hose off and it would spray stright back on the car behind you
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Looking at your rear end pic, do you have the plates that go on after the rims..
                      I am guessing you don't as you have your nuts on bevel out..
                      Plates have 2 studs and are beveled for beveled nuts ..
                      I would guess you will be fine without but all the 70's ones I see have that plate ..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Looking at your rear end pic, do you have the plates that go on after the rims..
                        I am guessing you don't as you have your nuts on bevel out..
                        Plates have 2 studs and are beveled for beveled nuts ..
                        I would guess you will be fine without but all the 70's ones I see have that plate ..
                        No plates. What you see is what I got. What was the purpose of the plates?
                        The work has stopped for a few weeks. Started back on 4-10's at work and the wife has plans for us the next few weekends.

Last edited by Andy4639; January 19, 2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Ok got a little more done yesterday. Got the electric water jug all plumbed up hoses done while I had the cowl off I put screen porch screen under it to keep trash out and leaves and anything else. I used this on my 71 C 10 and it works great. Hope to have the seat and shoulder belts installed by the end of the weekend if all goes well. The seat in the pictures is going in the Ramp Rat.

Name:	Washer Jug!.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1143006

Name:	Screen in cowl.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1143007

Name:	Screen in cowl3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	1143008

Name:	Screen in cowl2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1143009

Comment

New seat is in along with drivers side 3 point harness. New strobe light installed also. I think it needs more lights myself.
                            video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Name:	New seat.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1143072

Name:	New seat2.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1143073

Comment

The seat looks great. I need to get 3 point belts in my 66 Mustang soon.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X