X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Ass puckering amounts for a $500 car?
    No price on sentimentialism...
    Russians, I love their YouTube videos. I was watching this one Russian who was repairing a Daewoo. I mean the whole right side was obliterated from a front right impact. It was just a stripped down shell on the frame machine. The two left doors won't close. The doors on the right side are gone. I mean this thing is a wadded up pile literally. So this guy does an amazing job if straightening out this pile of shit. Next to it he has this pristine donor shell that he uses the roof, right side and front clip.

I tell you though this guy did amazing work. When he was done, all the gaps were perfect, the doors shut great.
    Last edited by Huskinhano; February 21, 2017, 11:14 AM.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Pretty won't be a focus for a while, but hardware is still in focus. Looks like I'll be able to use the AWD 4R70W automatic after all...converting it to RWD application will only set me back $250, ready to install. I'm good with that. Unfortunately, I was a bit quick on believing the rear axle to be useable. It is offset, driver's side is longer. Dammit. Bonus points, I'm pretty sure that the 4.10 rear axle I have in storage is NOT an 8.8 after all.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

You need a fox rear end housing. The truck/suvs rear is good for the gears, trac loc and maybe one axle.

Don't get hung up on the 7.5 / 8.8 pick the gear you want, and positive traction or can you liver with an open?

I would sell it as is and look for an 8.8 that someone has swapped 3.55 -4.10 gears or get a 7.5 out of a 4 cyl car with 3.73 ish gears.

Or go to junk yard and look for ranger with good gear ratio and 7.5 trac loc carrier and swap into the existing housing.
        Last edited by Russell; February 23, 2017, 06:41 PM.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

BTW - Don't be too quick to toss that 255! Realize that it's a LSR "E" motor. Of course it'll want forged pistons and crank (someone can make those) and from there find out what heads have valves that will clear the bores, etc. But the stroke works and the bore size is right. V8 E motors do not grow on trees.

Dan

Comment

The 255 is a reliable piece, even if it is a turd. I have to keep it around to get the front dress, oil pan and other odd bits off of it, but once the 302 is in the Mustang and running, it'll be up for sale.

Rear end: I've got 3.73/TracLock in the Exploder's rear end, plus disc brakes. 4WDB is one of the big reasons I was really hoping to make this happen. My second hope was that the 4.10 rear was an 8.8 housing, but it's a 7.5 from a 1980s LTD LX. I doubt that narrowing and refitting the Explorer's 8.8 is even remotely budget-friendly, though I'm going to talk with a shop about that. If it's reasonable, all I'll have to do is locate another Explorer and pull it's passenger-side axle shaft.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Unless you want to convert the fox to leaf springs, converting the explorer rear will be ruff there are no ears for the top four links.

I personally have no problem with 4 lugs or drum brakes. The tiny front brakes are the problem, upgrade to 87-93 V8 brakes and it will stop alot better. If you want 5 and or rear disc I am not much help.

I think the favorite is the 94-95 GT get the front and rear all at the same time.

What spline are the explorer axles? If the brakes are what you are after can you put two short side explorer axles with the disc brakes in the 7.5 4.10 housing? If they are 28s I would say maybe.
              Last edited by Russell; February 24, 2017, 07:39 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Explorer axles are 31 spline.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I had an 87-88 turbocoupe 8.8 with 3.73 gears and 4 lug disc in my 93 GT convertible. It did not stop as well as the drums. Not sure if it was due to keeping the drum brake master and p-valve or....

If it's just a street car....

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

So, the worst case scenario is that they try to pull the fake convert top off and it shatters into tiny little pieces; then the body shop fills in the holes where it was attached and primes it?
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                      Explorer axles are 31 spline.
                      Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Most Explorer's use a 31 spline, not 28's. Finding 4.10's with a limited slip is not all that hard to do either..
                      ahh hell, here we go again.. soooo page 2.

Mom had a pimp-mo-bile fiberglass landau top on a late 80's Hurst Olds of all things. It flew off at about 80mph one day and I thanked the gods of poor adhesives because I hated it. She loved it though. I would have tried to find it but she said it landed on the road and exploded. They put a vinyl top on it because the roof was so bad. I didn't mind that so much... but you could see she was heartbroken. Oh, to be able to time travel back and get it fixed the way she wanted.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        So, the worst case scenario is that they try to pull the fake convert top off and it shatters into tiny little pieces; then the body shop fills in the holes where it was attached and primes it?
                        Worst case scenario: I explain to Haley how I spent $2,369 without her knowledge, and that the shop screwed the pooch, hurt her car...c'mon, man, you've met the woman!

Comment

• Drop it at the body shop instead of the upholstery type place. Spend the money, blame the shop for a screwup when they accidentally did a full paint job instead of the top replacement they were "supposed" to do.

Flowers, dinner, jewelry might accompany said "bad" news....
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Easy enough to shorten one side of the axle housing..
                            Kid did it on a friend's. Runs2 short axles.
                            There are ways for the center links to hook up altho they escape me right now..

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                              Drop it at the body shop instead of the upholstery type place. Spend the money, blame the shop for a screwup when they accidentally did a full paint job instead of the top replacement they were "supposed" to do.

Flowers, dinner, jewelry might accompany said "bad" news....
                              Not when she's a regular on the forum, good sir...

Comment

• A REGULAR.......... a regular lurker ? I haven't seen much of her here since you started working here . I miss her comments . I've actually started thinking maybe you come up with the stories and she is doing the typing and doesn't have time for witty banter under the Catchmeblu handle anymore !
                                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                                X