Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This project is chocked full of win.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Does NOT sound like a SBC! Love me some FE greatness. It would have been better if he'd made that exhaust out of square tubing but you can't have everything . Maybe I should have used .

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; March 30, 2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• Careful, Scott. You make it too awesome and you'll never sell it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRC99 View Post
          Careful, Scott. You make it too awesome and you'll never sell it.

It would need a whole lot more for me to keep it. I don't like it enough to spend that money.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Sure, sure.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Remember these. These both were in much better shape, drove better and had more power. I sold the both of them.

What I have done to this car, is make it look a bit better and make it more fun to drive.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I'm convinced... I have a hard time flipping vehicles...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Lately, I have been some valve tapping, more than what used to be one making a bit of noise here and there, then quieting down. Friday night, one valve definitely became unhappy and out of adjustment. Specs for 352's say 40 to 45 ft lbs. I split the difference and set them at 42 ft lbs. I haven't gotten into it to see what is actually happening. I didn't use locktite on the rocker bolts. Praying the cam isn't losing a lobe, going flat.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Time for a 428
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Maybe I should check the oil next time. It was all caused by being two quarts low.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• That was a cheap fix
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I have been behind on updates for this car. I drove it on Tour Nebraska this past June. I got 18 mpg and 1 qt of oil per 50 miles. I was stopping more for oil than gas. Still, it was fun. It was nice that my $1000 beater made the long haul and the $100k rides were dropping like flies. Been driving it all summer and dumping oil in it weekly. I started adding a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it bumped the oil pressure from 30 to 40 psi. And it doesn't burn it off as fast.

Back in July, I came across a CL for a 390 and C6 package from a '71 full size car and bought it to rebuild. I got the whole shebang for $300. Got lucky that the crank and rods look good. Not much of a ring ridge on the cylinders so I will just dingle ball the block, wash it real good and put it back together with new rings, bearings, oil pump, and a bit of a lumpy Comp Cam. The 390 heads look great, just need some valve lapping and I will replace the valve seals and springs. Valves show no guide wear and are tight in the guides still.

Got lucky on that one.

The C6 is sitting out behind the garage in the alley. No one must like these, even for scrap, because it hasn't been stolen yet. The 390's 2 bbl set up and 90 lb intake, accessory drive and other crap went to scrap metal to buy me lunch for a day. The trans may be next along with my ailing fridge.

The supposed gas shocks I have on the front are pretty much useless. They do not control bounce or rebound. Hard braking causes nose dives. Hitting a bump and the suspension hits upper limit bump stops. I knew I should've gotten KYB shocks. I think they are under warranty because they are less than a year old. Maybe turn them in and get the upgrade.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I like it when you can overhaul an engine and get it running good....sounds like your new one could be one of those. I had a 50 mile per quart engine in the Corvair, I did a ring job on it (you can do it without removing the rods), it used 1/10th as much oil when I got done with it. But it had a rusty cylinder that I had to replace (which ended up being free). If the bore is messed up in a normal V8, then it can get expensive fast.
                            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Great to hear from you, Scott! You're right - those FE cast iron intakes are HEAVY! I'll wager the old engine has either bad valve guides or maybe just failed seals. Given the age it would be expected. It's excellent that the new heads have tight guides but I don't remember FE's as being real hard on guide wear as the top end oils pretty well IIRC. You're making my old memory work overtime!

I'll point out that you seem to be enjoying the ol' Ford and I think that's cool. I like 'em all and don't get the "it's gotta be XXXXX (insert brand of your choice) or nothin." I've seen decals with "I'd rather walk than drive a Yugo (or whatever)". My though was always "Ummm - OK. Go for it, dude......"

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; September 21, 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• The #1 cylinder had its top ring rusted to the piston on the 390. If I just ran it, it would be a smoker like the 352. The rest showed some wear, but still had tapers. The bearings were worn into the copper layer. I am guessing they ran it low on oil a few times. The sludge build wasn't bad at all.

One of the things that sold me on the 390 was it was complete down to the accessory drive and air cleaner, with spark plugs in it. Which means it was unlikely to be full of rust and water. It rotated fairly easily even with the plugs in it. Still had oil, although it was black sludge.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X