No announcement yet.

Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those are going to look GREAT! I love polished aluminum bits - though I'm not good about keeping them polished.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Those are going to look GREAT! I love polished aluminum bits - though I'm not good about keeping them polished.

Dan
      I have never owned polished aluminum bits because of the needed polishing.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• If you live in the right place, they don't need polishing very often. But if you don't...yeah, dull is better!
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• I have been plugging away on the car, an hour here, an hour there. It also distracting me from me looking at the Impala and its messed up engine. I think I finally broke it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170306_214622.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	1149142

Name:	20170308_200105.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1149143

Name:	20170308_200115.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	1149144

Name:	20170308_200240.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1149145

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looking better! but you forgot the distributor
            My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Looking better! but you forgot the distributor
              One step at a time. One step at a time. It's coming.

I put the air cleaner on to see how it no longer matches the engine. Cal Custom still makes stuff and I found a finned aluminum air cleaner I like for around $80.00. I also needed it on because I was causing a lot of dust sanding the radiator support and splash pans to paint them.
              Last edited by Scott Liggett; March 10, 2017, 07:19 AM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• That does look good!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• How did you clean the brass tank? Looks like it was dipped?
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• looks to me like elbow grease?
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                      How did you clean the brass tank? Looks like it was dipped?

The radiator shop blasted. He told me the media he uses, but I forgot exactly what it was. I know it isn't silica based.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looks like walnut shells to me. My blasting friend uses them a lot.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• A little of topic but for small parts I have a hand held HF blaster that I use baking soda in. It's great for aluminum parts that you want more of a natural finish. It won't pit it but it'll leave a matt finish. The carb on my wife's 69 Mustang was really nasty inside the float bowl. It cleaned up nice. Sorry for the hijack Scott.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Last night, I got the engine buttoned up. It took a while to get the block heater fittings out of the block, but I remembered I had these Craftsman easy out things that dig into the bolt, or in this case a steel NPT tube with two male ends and it took it out of the block in 10 seconds. I haven't used these in a long while so I forgot I had them and foundered about for a couple hours.

The engine didn't want to start. I had spark, timing was pretty much dead on while cranking, but it didn't want to fire. So, I sprayed Brake Clean into the carb as a primer because I didn't have any spare gas and no ether lying around.

It fired up but ran like crap, whistling away like a huge vacuum leak, and something banging away in the accessories. The pulley on the generator literally split in half at the bottom of the belt groove so the pulley fan was flapping about making a nice racket. I didn't have it running long enough to figure out the vacuum leak. I suspecting that the new carb spacer isn't sealing with the carburetor or intake manifold, but couldn't tell where right away.

One step forward and two steps back.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I solved the vacuum leak by going back to the original carb spacer with the heater hose fittings. I am still not going to use those. In trying to get it started, starter just quit. Only clicks, I crawled under to notice that the main body is loose from the mounting flange. I was thinking that I may have something really bad happen, like something down the intake ports while I have the intake off. So, I rotated the engine with my big ratchet. The engine moves easily enough, but the starter is grinding like it was full of rocks. I have never heard a starter make any noise rotating the engine by hand. I called the parts to store to get another one on the way before I pull the starter tonight to warranty it.

This car is turning into one of those that wants to fight you the whole way. It must be rejecting its cleanliness.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• It has that no nose long shaft out there.. Might have lost a clip or broke the spring..

Comment

Working...
                                X