No announcement yet.

Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, I hooked up with Andrew, Eliteman76, at a junkyard in Wymore. That place was absolutely stunning. The amount of older iron was staggering. We were there all morning and barely scratched the surface. I stopped taking pictures when I came across a '63 Galaxie 500 XL that had a Hurst Indy shifter in it. It was complete and the price was right, so I grabbed what tools I had with me and had a bit of a challenge to get it out the car sitting in the grass off its tires. But, it wasn't bad at all. I really just wanted it for parts, but the stick on it is designed for a bench and will work so much better than the Fenton. It is more work, backtracking a bit, but I think it is worth it.

Last night, I got a new o-ring for the gas tank sending unit. It was thicker than the original, so that was also a bit of a challenge to get back together.

I also knocked out some of the little the things, like a tail light bulb, dash bulbs, install ashtray. I started removing radiator hoses and heater hoses to replace them. Stopped because I debating to whether or not I will reuse the block heater set up. I can eliminate some heater hoses if I do. I am also contemplating removing the carb base plate that have heater hoses running hot water through. It adds a lot of heat to the carb and fuel by keeping it. Thought about replacing it with an open carb spacer to bring in some higher rpm power.
    Last edited by Scott Liggett; February 20, 2017, 09:05 AM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• As I recall the 500 XL was pretty scarce when new so it's super cool that you found one as a parts donor. I haven't found any yards with older stuff here which is a shame as our sheet metal tends to be pretty pristine. Oh well.........

Dan

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_141454.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	1146805 Here are the pics.

Taking out the interior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170211_135553.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	1146804

The mess left under the seats:

Name:	20170211_135604.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	1146806

The mouse nest was under the passenger side rear seat. You can see the mess. Thankfully, they didn't chew up the seat at all.

Name:	20170211_141505.jpg
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	1146807

And now to get to cleaning.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The back seat cleaned up to near new condition. This interior must have been gorgeous on the showroom floor in late '63. The rear package tray is going to be tough to clean up.

Name:	20170211_175815.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	1146812

There was a plastic floor plug in a weird place on the trans tunnel. but later on I figured out why it was there. Made for easy refilling the trans. I can only guess this was for filling the trans while on the production line. I can't imagine taking out the carpet to refill the trans after owning the car.

Name:	20170211_192635.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1146813

Oh yeah. I found this little car under the rear seat.

Name:	20170211_202321.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1146815
          Attached Files

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looks like Triumph TR3, maybe a TR2 but for sure a Triumph. That probably has some value though I have no clue how much.

Dan

Comment

• It says Triumph TR3 on the bottom. Made in Chicago, IL. I can't read the manufacturer name.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• While the carpet was drying on saw horses, I cut up the perfectly good floor for the floor shifter. I saved the cut out the piece, so it can be reversed easy enough.

Name:	20170212_151326.jpg
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	1146819

That shifter boot is a junkyard score from a 91 S10. It is nice and thick to keep heat and cold out. It also has a double trim ring set up. Cleaned up nice.

Name:	20170212_151414.jpg
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	1146820

The carwash shampooed carpet is back in. It smells a lot better.

Name:	20170212_195930.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	1146821

Name:	20170212_195954.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	1146822

The front seat back in after a good scrubbing.

Name:	20170215_202031.jpg
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	1146823

After all that work to get the shifter in, I will be removing it after my latest junkyard score over the weekend.

Name:	20170215_202103.jpg
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	1146824

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• So, Saturday, Eliteman76 and I hit up an absolutely stunning junkyard in its sheer size and number of pre 1980 vehicles. We were there 4 hours and barely scratched the surface of what was there. I am still in awe.

I came across this sticking out of the floor in a 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL. Hurst Indy 3 speed shifter with the perfect shifter stick for Nascar or bench seat. Yay! Exploring stopped and grabbing the tools and getting dirty commenced.

Name:	20170218_105320.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1146827

Name:	20170218_205619.jpg
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1146828

Here is the shifter. It is totally complete. Which means I don't have to make shifter rods for the Fenton. It is a bit of a pain to change them, but well worth the time it will take.

Name:	20170218_192808.jpg
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	1146829

I also pulled the heater box last night to figure out why all the doors were jammed. This is what I found. Some kind of squirrel was hoarding nuts in my damn heater box. It was absolutely packed with these things. Stupid squirrels.

Name:	20170219_193938.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1146830

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Man, I love this project. Give the top of the fenders (and any other areas with surface rust) a CLR bath if you haven't already, Stuff works miracles from what I've seen.
                    Last edited by JRC99; February 22, 2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• My youthful memories of those Hurst shifters say that they were silky smooth - hope this one proves to be.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        My youthful memories of those Hurst shifters say that they were silky smooth - hope this one proves to be.

Dan
                        It isn't right now. I am currently taking it apart to clean and regrease.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I was thinking it probably needs spiffed up a bit. Iron oxide is relentless.

Dan

Comment

• I cleaned up the linkage rods and such so far. They came out looking near new. Will be taking apart shifter mechanism next.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	sq.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	1146915
                              Is this the squirrel? lol

Comment

• hey, give me back my nuts!

Did the column shifter work? I had an absolute blast driving my Edsel around with the three on the tree. No way would I have converted it to a floor shift. Although those 50s ford column shifters were a lot better made than the 60s style.. I also used that hole in the floor to fill the trans a couple times, when the overdrive crunched the planetary needle bearings.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                                X