No announcement yet.

Scott's 1964 Galaxie 500 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A big step was accomplished tonight, and the most expensive. New wheels and tires. I thought up a name for it too. The Mud Bomber Galaxie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_203121.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1142290

My friend helped me paint the wheels the original Guardsman Blue. I think they look great with the classic raised white letter tires.

Name:	20170123_203047.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1,005.7 KB
ID:	1142291 Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_203047.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1,005.7 KB
ID:	1142292

This quarter was the worst part of the car. It was pushed in farther than I originally thought. I had to take a big freaking hammer and knock it back out to get the tire on. I was surprised that it didn't come out that bad. Even somewhat improved. That lip was pulled out by the previous owner. It bothers me. I will hammer and dolley it out of sight.

Name:	20170123_203208.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1142293

I really like the rake. You can see that I have more work ahead. The gas tank and radiator need to go into the radiator shop for cleanup. The new pile of dirt was what fell off during my hammering. Did I mention I am allergic to dust? SNEEZE!!!
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

We use a bottle jack and blocks of wood to widen out openings and slit and fold up the lip..
      Doubt you wanna fold up your lip.. But the jack and blocks will work.. Solodifies it while you hammer.
      Hole on the jack needs to be up for it to work laid down..

Comment

Car is starting to develop a wicked edge to it. Rake looks perfect, you nailed it.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          We use a bottle jack and blocks of wood to widen out openings and slit and fold up the lip..
          Doubt you wanna fold up your lip.. But the jack and blocks will work.. Solodifies it while you hammer.
          Hole on the jack needs to be up for it to work laid down..
          I had that issue with the bottle jack. I got it to push out but it would stay in place using that technique, so out came the 3 lb persuader.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have both sizes of the HF Porta Power-style system and I use them all the time here and there for small jobs. When I worked at the Buick dealer we had a real Porta Power (Blackhawk, IIRC) system and it was smoother and a little bit easier to use but the HF stuff is OK. I mostly use the little one as it's easier to handle. All in all, well worth the money.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; January 25, 2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I love the look!
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Man this thing looks great!
                CHECK US OUT AT:
                www.ridetech.com

Comment

Had to give props to my young buddy, from whom I bought the car from. He did the ignition tune up and carb rebuild. The problem with engine running was only a crappy power valve gasket in the carb kit he got. It now fires up ice cold and purrs right along.

Although, I think he was not happy to hear it is running so well. Regretting that he sold it to me so cheap.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah but he didn't do anything with it when he had it.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                      Yeah but he didn't do anything with it when he had it.
                      He just had to have this 98 Trans Am with a bunch of SLP stuff on it. And, he has a 73 Challenger he is trying to sell. At 19, he has already owned 40 cars.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Wow! 40! He has traded well or he has dropped a lot of money on cars.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• 40? holy cow. I guess he'll have the 98 Trans Am about 2 months before he sells it. I don't think I've had half that amount, well maybe,
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I've never totaled up how many and I'm not sure my fuzzy ol' mind is capable of an accurate count at this point. If I were to tally them up I'd leave out the ones I bought to flip - they were designed to just pass thru my life so I didn't develop much if any attachment to them. I might remember most of the ones I kept and drove though.

Dan

Comment

• That fender's going to be a challenge but do-able. A bud traded me one of those Harbor Freight stud guns (for use with puller), the thing works great, given a good 15 amp circuit. You might need a whole pack of studs though...

Comment

• I was thinking the same thing, Loren. I can borrow a stud gun from the service writer/manager at my buddy Dave's shop just down the street. It's the one the HF gun was copied from but I can't remember the brand. Anyhow, it's the cats - um - tail. Last time I used it was for the rear quarters on Mutt and it really expedited the task. I wonder if those are rentable?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X