squirrel's tiny house-- 1972 Airstream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel's tiny house-- 1972 Airstream

Since my wife is retiring soon, and mentioned something about wanting to travel some, I figured it was a good time to get a trailer to play with. In August, I found a 1972 Airstream Safari for a couple grand. Needing work, of course. They all need work...lots of work....but at least this one was priced right.

Looks pretty good from a distance, right?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

I had some other stuff going on at the time, like the LeMons Rally, Drag Week, fixing up a few things on other cars, etc. But by the beginning of last month, I was ready to get to work. I managed to fit it into the shop, which has a 12' x 9' door. I had to remove the old VHF antenna first, though. And it was a tight squeeze, backing it in!

It also filled up the shop, completely, once I got the stuff out of it.

Speaking of taking the stuff out...that revealed the work ahead. The rear floor on this model is prone to moisture problems, and this one shows what happens, The rest of the floor was in surprisingly good condition, I only had to fix the back end.

But critters had got inside the walls, living in the insulation. So I had to take out the inner skin, which is vinyl clad aluminum, held in with hundreds of white pop rivets.

My fabulous web page

Comment

The trailer had lived in the northeast most of it's life. That means the sun damage wasn't real bad, but the rust was a bit more than we're used to down here. Before I bought it, I knew that I had to replace the rear end of the frame--the right end of the bumper was kind of flopping around, held on by only a remaining thread of the frame rail. The rear cross member was almost completely gone. But that's just steel, which is easy to replace, if you have a chop saw and MIG welder. I got to work, made new rail ends and cross members out of angle and strap, and welded it all back together.

Then I replaced the rear floor plywood, and got to work covering the floor with generic 1970s looking commercial floor tile. Deciding what flooring to use was a major decision, of course...and I took the cheap way out. Some folks spend a few grand putting floors in these things! I spent under $200.

After the floor was done, I had to get the electric system where I wanted it. Most of it was in great condition, but a few things would move around, so I removed a few wires, relocated several wires, and added a few things (like 12v where the fridge goes, as modern ones need power for the control circuitry). Then after a good scrubbing, new insulation and the inner panels went back on. And I started working on the minor redesign of the interior.

The bathroom is going to have a full shower, and probably no lavatory. The center couch/bed will turn into a dinette, the front couch/bed will become a fixed full size bed. The kitchen will remain about the same. I have to make a cabinet for the fridge, since that was all missing. Time to spend serious money, several new appliances, plumbing stuff, window repair, etc.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I like it, I like it a lot. It's funny, though, I've had countless RVs and grew up RV'ing - and the shower was never used. Mostly it became a second, wet closet. The problem is that tiny, water heater and that most RV parks have nice showering facilities... oh, and lake baths were the other common thing...
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 5, 2016, 07:40 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I kind'a noticed on your frame repair that you didn't add a parachute mount ! lol , very nice Jim .

Comment

Thanks for taking us along on this one.

I've always had to fight an urge to drag home a camper, especially some of the more uniquely styled ones.

Not sure I could turn down an Airstream though.....

Can't wait for the next installment.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Thanks for taking us along on this one.

I've always had to fight an urge to drag home a camper, especially some of the more uniquely styled ones.

Not sure I could turn down an Airstream though.....

Can't wait for the next installment.

Airstreams are uber-cool and mostly aluminum which causes less rot issues... I also like the GMC motorhomes for the same reason... and if I ever do another (which is really doubtful), the GMC would be it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                Airstreams are uber-cool and mostly aluminum which causes less rot issues... I also like the GMC motorhomes for the same reason... and if I ever do another (which is really doubtful), the GMC would be it.
                Are those the tandem rear and FWD?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Yes, yes they are. they use a modified Toronado/Eldorado drivetrain.

Comment

I love seeing those even today.

Every camper out there unless behind a four door furd f-teen thousand starts swaying before my dads rig even gets to them..
                    the airstreams did wonders.

great candidate for diodes..
                    get it out of the bimetal steel and alloy.

Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I was hoping you would do a project thread on this! Very cool!
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

yep, and their shell is aluminum with fiberglass over the top - they don't rust... .best of all, I have this turbo Buick that would be amazing in it. They have a very devoted following.... their best part is the super-low floor.
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 5, 2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

yep, and their shell is aluminum with fiberglass over the top - they don't rust... .best of all, I have this turbo Buick that would be amazing in it. They have a very devoted following.... their best part is the super-low floor.
                          Saw a couple, guy didn't like looky-loos Was told FWD, but not able to confirm..
                          Sounds like something I should look into..
                          Last edited by Deaf Bob; December 5, 2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Airstream made a few motorhomes over the years, too.

I think that having the RV separate from the tow vehicle, will make it more manageable...when dealing with old stuff like this everything needs to be redone. It's a real challenge to be able to complete an old motorhome renovation.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I'll agree with that.. Worked on motorhomes for a friend who rented them.. One was taken to Manitoba and the fan went to pieces.. They wanted me to drive up there and fix it.. How do you blow a fan into 4-6 pieces?
                              The maintenace killed me.. Wasn't worth it.. Owning my own, I think will be different..
                              I will agree having a trailer will be better.. Need milk? Unhook and go.. Motorhome will be hard to do..
                              I'd like a small one to use for day trips or overnite trips. Anything longer, I'd get a motel.
                              Always wanted an Airstream!

Comment

Working...
                              X