350 Vega project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    I never had a wagon so I can't say but here's a thought - did one have the windshield antenna and the other have a regular antenna? Seems like my coupes had a windshield antenna though it WAS a long time ago.

Dan
    My wagon has the windshield antenna too, and after looking as close as I can, there doesn't seem to be any difference to me.

Comment

Coupe and wagon windshields while similar in height are different as far as the cut/shape around the perimeter goes. They do not interchange. As you might have noticed, along with the windshield angle the wag roof is a little higher so the side glass and frames are different also. "Notchback" Vegas use the wagon stuff...I believe.

If you really want to use original wheels note there is no re-drilling possible there, the stamped shape of the wheel will not accommodate it. You can use a Monza rear that has a 1" bigger ring gear...the lower control-arm mounts bolt in, the uppers need to be swapped and welded on from the original rear, then happily the drum brakes are bigger too and the wheels will bolt on with the 4x4" pattern. A narrowed ten- or twelve-bolt rear could be drilled to the four-bolt pattern, the center nub on the axles would need to be machined down for the wheel to fit which would be done as a shallow step so that the rear's original drums still register, or it the whole nub were cut then Vega/Monza drums will fit either by using a spacer off the axle housing or having the housing cut to the right length (i.e., the distance from the wheel mounting face of the axle, back to the drum mounting face of the housing, is shorter with Vega/Monzas then with Chevelle etc., and the hole in the center of the drum and wheel is smaller). A Ford 9" or Mopar 8 3/4 can be narrowed also, Chevy brakes are a tough fit on those so you'd want to use matching ones for the rear with (again) the most-outer portion of the center nub on the axles cut down so the wheels will slip over and you'd need the complete bracket set.

Comment

Is there anything Loren doesn't know? dang, I'm impressed.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Lol...naw, just a few years of junkyard-stumbling-through (and having done a few Vegas back-when) will do that to you.

One more thing, as an aside: Stamped-steel wheels can be mixed-and-matched in the center area and I mean within the disc, not just welding one center into a different rim hoop, if you need to fit some radically-different bolt pattern into a favored wheel style. Theoretically you find another wheel that has the bolt pattern you want and has a dish around the bolts about the same diameter as the wheel you want to fit, and cut-machine-tack-inspect-weld in that area covered by the little hub cap (you'd better be a careful machinist and good welder). Did essentially that work for a friend once (although the purpose was for center-spacing/offset change) and it worked fine, but probably $300 worth of work on a $30 pair of wheels. Would be better to find some other way such as custom axles which are so easy to spec and buy these days thanks to Moser etc.

Where it might be worth the work is if you wanna switch back-and-forth between dead-stock-looking original 13's on the street and something bigger for at the track with the usual five-lugs.
          Last edited by Loren; April 27, 2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Comment

I finally took it for a couple of test rides and it seems okay, I still have a few more things to do.

Comment

Coming along!

Dan

Comment

Comment

I ordered some stripes and some touch up paint, if it works out it should be a good 20 footer.
                    The wife and I took her for a nice little run Saturday and other than a little water leak it was pretty good. A guy at a gas station loaned me a screwdriver and I bought a gallon of drinking water and I was good to go.
                    The only major issue I have right now is that when I launch it the engine or something is twisting and the headers are grabbing the steering shaft.
                    I've ordered some frame connectors, if you call it that because it has no frame.
                    I'm going to load it all up and take it to the track 6-24 and 6-25.
                    I got a go pro the other day and my daughter is playing around with it, but I'll have it when we go.

Comment

Comment

Not really representative of the car as this was a few weeks ago, but more my daughters GoPro skills.

Comment

Chain the left side down.. Slightly loose, on throttle, becomes tight..
                          Might be the type of mount you have

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Chain the left side down.. Slightly loose, on throttle, becomes tight..
                            Might be the type of mount you have

yep. drivers side "turnbuckle" needed.....

Comment

Is there a specific place it's normally attached or do I just have to fab something up?

Comment

I've gotten lazy and went off the A-frame area. Generally straight up or slightly away works.
                                Not knowing what you have in way of holes or brackets, hard to say. Some even wrap chain on the frame, for the street, I'm sure that'd be too noisy..
                                You could use a turnbuckle with the eyes bent to meet the front block mount hole and someplace on the frame

Comment

Working...
                                X