Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '53 Ford F100 build...

Hey Guys,
    I've been following BS for several years now, but this is the first time I've posted anything. I have been a tractor puller since I was 16 (over 30 years ago now), and I've had my share of cool vehicles (my daily driver is a '72 Chevy Custom 10), but my current project is a special one and one that I really didn't see coming. I had driven by a '53 Ford F100 for about 2 weeks before I stopped to check it out...since it hadn't sold, I assumed that it had a high price on it, so I had to know how much. But, when I stopped, he had $3500 obo on it, and the town was hassling about it, so it need to go! So, I didn't really have any choice...I was going to be building one of favorite trucks...completely out of the blue!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161006_081014.jpg
Views:	3252
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1130544

The body is in pretty nice shape...well, for Northern NJ, it is in Great shape. But, the down side is that someone decided to put it on an S10 chassis! I'm not really sure why you would do this, but, is on air, so I'm hoping I can get rid of the chassis and get a little $ for some goodies.

The Monday after the '53 followed me home, I did a quick search on NJ Craigslist, looking for a usable chassis...and, you guessed it, I found one! A '53 chassis that already had a '77 Nova front clip welded in and c-notched over the rear...

Name:	20161105_211847.jpg
Views:	1526
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1130545

So, I worked a deal to trade an old Snap-On toolbox for the frame. I don't think I've ever had a project get off to this good of a start. If you look just above the frame in the above pic, you'll see the rather greasy 350 Chevy that came out of my pickup...which will be getting a simple rebuilt and put in the '53. And I also have a 700R4 that was going to go into my C10, but will be going in this as well.

Last weekend, I pulled the bed off the S10 chassis...they had bolted it to one side and welded it to the other side of the frame...genius! I put 4 5" caster wheels on a 4'x4' pallet and set the bed on it...I was surprised that it worked very well for rolling the bed around! The front clip will hopefully be coming off this weekend...

Name:	20161106_171057.jpg
Views:	1725
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1130546

I'm, mainly a Chevy guy, but I have loved the '53-'56 Ford F100s since I was a kid. And it is pretty cool to have one sitting in the driveway. My plan is to have the chassis as a roller this winter and start working on the 350 in the spring (while doing some head scratching about how the front sheet metal will mount to the Nova clip). I'll keep you guys updated...it should be a pretty cool build

-Chris

Neat! Welcome!
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Great project - except mine would have an FE in it (I'm kinda goofy about Fords in Fords, Chevy in Chevys, etc. - my particular insanity). Still, a very cool thing.

Question: Not a criticism, I really don't know. What is the issue with the S-10 chassis? Seems like it might be an OK swap but I don't know much about this particular hybrid.

And welcome to the madhouse! Always great to get another build thread.

Dan

Comment

Another chevy guy who likes those Fords!
        Welcome! Will be watching.

Comment

Dan, the S10 chassis just looks kinda weird under the F100 body...the wheels are really tucked under the body. There is actually quite a bit of work in the chassis and I was considering working with what I had. But, when I found a '53 F100 frame with a nova clip already welded in (and it is nicely done)...and the guy was willing to do a trade for a toolbox that was really just taking up room...I decided to swap out the S10 chassis. And, like I said, I'm hoping to sell off the S10 to get a little more $ towards the build...trying to keep it pretty simple and straightforward.

Comment

That makes sense.

My S-10 chassis fits nicely under my S-10 and seems to work reasonably well on the track (it's as low as it can go and still get on the trailer) so I'm reasonably happy with it. I'll bet a F100 chassis fits nicely under an F100!

Dan

Comment

Welcome! Nice build. I'm over the border in PA
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Welcome! Sweet project, I've always liked the lines of those era F100 trucks. This will be fun to follow along.
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Great project - except mine would have an FE in it (I'm kinda goofy about Fords in Fords, Chevy in Chevys, etc. - my particular insanity). Still, a very cool thing.

Question: Not a criticism, I really don't know. What is the issue with the S-10 chassis? Seems like it might be an OK swap but I don't know much about this particular hybrid.

And welcome to the madhouse! Always great to get another build thread.

Dan

Fords in Volvos too!!!

This looks to be a project that will come together well... Welcome to the family!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I was able to find something cool the other day. There is a reason that I really like the '53-'56 F100s...it all goes back to an article in Hot Rod when I was a kid. It was in the March 1979 issue, and it featured this truck...

Name:	IMG_20161109_193635.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	1130681

This is a '56 and it was powered by a blown, big block Chevy...all neatly under the hood. This truck was just about the coolest thing in the world when I was 11...and now, 38 years later, I have the '53...and it's all this article's fault! I recently got a copy of this magazine, and I will probably turn this article into a poster, just to keep me inspired!

Hot Rod magazine made a big impact on me when I was a kid...and it's just cool that I am still feeling those effects today!

Comment

I like that you swapped out the s-10 frame. it works great under an s-10, but under a truck that had a flat frame previously - it's an utter, too much work, PITA. Should be a fun build, post early and post often
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Fords in Volvos too!!!

This looks to be a project that will come together well... Welcome to the family!
                        And Mercedes in Chevys and Buicks in full size Chevy PUs. Did you hear "SBC" anywhere in that? Yeah, I have weird tastes......

Dan

Comment

What shape are the Mustang wheels in?
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Tom, I sent you a PM

Comment

Are you planning on a stock frame? The 70's Ford guys like the Crown Vic front suspension. I have no idea if it would fit or work on the mid 50's. I'm not suggesting it just thinking out loud.

Saw the PM.
                              Last edited by Huskinhano; November 11, 2016, 05:11 AM.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X