The fitty-slick, aka, the incredible hulk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fitty-slick, aka, the incredible hulk

Yes, its green. It's green because some high school shop class in NM did some half-ass bodywork on it while they were skipping out on geometry.

Previously a janitor's truck somewhere in New Mex, the color UNDER the green is actually SCHOOL BUS YELLOW. Sweeeet.

More to come, as work progresses...

That's green rustoleum on the fenders, and the hood has unknown enamel sprayed on with a garden hose... more drips & runs than your ass at a chile festival

Front stance courtesy of removing 3 of 6 leaves... sandblasted, repainted, greased, and popped 'em back on... gotta cut the bumpstops though... 1.5" of travel.

a glimpse of the overkill 9"... snagged out of my '89 jeep before I sold it. Overkill because its got Strange 35-spline axle shafts, a locker, and a Strange nodular iron 3rd member with 4.10s. Overkill because my bone stock 350 is probably woofing out about 150 horses. And yes, I have a complete set of 5 original rims, with 5 original dog-dish caps, and all the little tangs are alive & counted for... any takers?

Gotta get 'er cleaned up, and LOWERED more... more pics to come!

Re: The fitty-slick, aka, the incredible hulk

dude - for this summer - get it reliable and drive it!

it will take HOURS of sanding or stripping to take off all that paint - leave that project for winter!
    (if your garage aint ready for said project - do that in the fall!)
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
      dude - for this summer - get it reliable and drive it!

it will take HOURS of sanding or stripping to take off all that paint - leave that project for winter!
      (if your garage aint ready for said project - do that in the fall!)
      Yeah, & I think the freshman assigned to sand the bondo used an angle grinder. DEEP scratches.

I'm gonna keep it kinda rat... much as I hate that phrase... the body work will take YEARS.

Comment

Sweet project....Needs more power 8)

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

It's green so it would match the janitor's uniform. ;D
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice truck! if I had any use for the set of original 57 wheels I have....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Re: '56 Chebbie -- The fitty-slick, aka, the incredible hulk-o-junk

A little update on the green hulkster... The plywood bed was ratty, so I ripped it out, and gave it the heave-ho.

Here's a few pics of the process I did to clean it up, clean up the frame, and do a hack-job lowering on the rear end... all done last summer before the 500-mile trip up to Loring, ME for the LSR last August.

Here's the bed after ripping out the old wood... I left the sides for 'character'---plus they were bolted on with like 20 rusty bolts per side. Whatta PITA.

More de-rusting... drill with a wire wheel. yeeeeeha.

After cleaning and some rust-o-leum.

It's the big 9-incher ladies! Check the sweet aluminum shaft.

The redneck lowering job---8" long shackles. I couldn't go any lower, as the shocks were ALMOST bottoming out. Time for relocated shock mounts!

Comment

cool my fav body style truck

Comment

Good stuff. I feel ya on the angle grinder bondo work. Got all that stripped off on mine now. Oh, and the angle grinder with wire wheel is a an old friend to me as well. Great project. Enjoy!
                  Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

man that is a cool truck
                    terry

Comment

Nice project! Good idea on the upgrades. Don't get rid of that spare tire set up on the fender , thats too cool to remove. I just got this one back after 19 years and its going back to the guy I got it from. He is drooling all over himself . I just sent him the pictures. He bought it in 82. This is "Butch"

Comment

I did a bit of interior decorating: stickers all over, a shifter, painted the floors, and oh, yeah, wrestled a tranny swap. No pics of the tranny swap, 'cuz I was thrashing. Did some wiring too. Yay. Still popped 3 fuses on the trip. Shoulda used more shrinkwrap.

Last edited by Caveman Tony; April 24, 2011, 07:05 PM.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

A little late-night wiring...

Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

The last time I did late night wiring was on my wife's Subie in 22* weather in the drive way.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

did a bit more work last summer/fall. Lost the photo card all the pics were on 'till yesterday.

Suspension/exhaust work...

The reason for the exhaust work:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	859304
                              cracked. Was wonderin' where that noise was comin' from. Apparently, the down tube had been smacking against the tie-rod on hard bumps. BAD.

New 2.5" glasspacks... headers... got rid of the old 1.75" system. Ugh.

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	859305

New pipes.. fyi, next time... just buy the bends. (I'm a cheapass) Woulda saved me LOTS of time/Pain-in-the-ass, and welding wire to boot...

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	859306

Custom cheapskate bends..

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	859307

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	859308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	859309Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	859310

The old man, helpin' out with burnin' in some welds. With all the damn pie-cuts I made to get the bends right, we went through like 3-4 spools of welding wire, and it was getting to be a royal pain. Glad he helped out, plus he's a pretty good welder!

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	859311Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	859312

Sounds WAAAAY better now, and quite a bit more seat-of-the-pants power too.

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	859313Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	859314Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	859315

Needed a new door handle... had some big chunks of maple laying around. Sawzall & sander time!

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	859316Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	859317Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	859318Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	859319

A little stain to give it some color, didn't come out too bad.

Rear suspension -- NEEDS to lose some altitude next....

Comment

Working...
                              X