Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'66 GTO RestoMod Project - getting close!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '66 GTO RestoMod Project - getting close!

Poncho=cool every time.
    Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

I love it. Nice to see a resto-mod/ pro touring Pontiac with real poncho power. Nice, nice , nice.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind comments. This is my first project of this magnitude (and likely my last like this). I've made a bunch of mistakes, but have had the benefit of some really good guys to help me get past them. I'm hoping to have this ready for Good Guys PPG Nats in July, but it's gonna be close!

PS: Just got the notice that there are a couple boxes from Wilwood delivered at my front door

Comment

Very sweet ride,keep up the good work.

Keep those pics coming also.
          Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Well, some progress - and minor setbacks.

First, the progress. The dash bezel is done, and the engine turned aluminum panel is as well. Mocked up the assembly to insure correct fitment before putting adhesive to secure the aluminum to the plastic bezel. Here's a quick look:

I need to check and fix a couple switch related things, but for the most part I'm ready to glue the front panel in, and start wiring the assembly. I'm pretty happy about how it turned out. To be honest, the pics don't do the finished product justice. The contrast of the cabernet tri-coat and the aluminum w/clearcost really pops.

The minor setback is that when continuing to work on the steering, I discovered that the "vibration resistant u-joint" is actually too long and there are clearance issues with it and the front crossmember. There's really nothing I can do about it - not enough clearance to move anything. Here are a few pics:

I think I'm going to have to replace that joint either with a "standard" u-joint, or a rag joint. The "vibration resistant" one I have is 4.5" long. A "standard" one is 3.5" long Obviously a rag joint is even shorter. The advantage is that I was forced to go with raw steel because Borgenson didn't offer the vibration joint in stainless. Now I can go with stainless if I want. My concern is that especially since I'm using a hydrotech brake booster coupled to the steering pump, usint a "standard" u-joint could result in feeling pump pulsing through the wheel.

Comment

Find another female end to fit on the steering box and move your coupler up towards the fire wall.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
                Find another female end to fit on the steering box and move your coupler up towards the fire wall.
                The vibration resistant u-joint is splined on one end and DD on the other. It's not a "coupler". In order to do this you'd have to machine a splined shaft. Beyond that, there would still be a clearance issue because there isn't room for the 4.5" length of the component further up but below the required coupler to transition from the actual steering column to DD. The pics don't show it, but with the headers on the Pontiac block and KRE heads there is VERY little clearance.

Comment

Nice work! and nice project! Thanks for not putting a chivey engine in it (they don't belong in Pontiacs) who am I to talk, one of my Pontiacs came with an Olds engine. no offense to Chevy owners. Also, I see you know what a dining room table is really for!
                  61 Olds 88, 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, 68 Pontiac Firebird, 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1

Comment

As usual, more progress - and more minor issues.

For the progress, the car now only needs sealer and masked and it's ready for final paint. That's scheduled to start this week, and the car should be completely under paint by this time next week. Here are some pics.

Underside of hood in process of wet sanding:

Core support in process of wet sanding:

Example of inner fender:

Now for the problems:
                    After getting the front fenders in place in prep for painting, I noticed that the carb hat seemed to be a little high. The motor has a Torker II intake and a 1" Wilson spacer between the intake and the 4150 style carb (custom built). If you look at the side view, you can see it looks high (blankets over the fenders to protect them):

Not the end of the world, but as you can see because of the fuel delivery setup (pressure regulator, hard lines, sending units) and the 50cc accelerator pump clearance of the carb against the intake, I'll need to do something. We set the hood in place with blankets protecting everything, and the clearance of the carb hat against the hood was REAL tight.

Comment

Man the metal on that baby looks great.Keep up the good work dude.

Comment

As far as the steering coupler, can you have the end
                        beveled?
                        It looks like that, and maybe some grinding on the frame in that spot
                        would give you the clearance you need.

As far as carb clearance, how about a subtle hood bulge?

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                          As far as the steering coupler, can you have the end
                          beveled?
                          It looks like that, and maybe some grinding on the frame in that spot
                          would give you the clearance you need.

As far as carb clearance, how about a subtle hood bulge?
                          I've already ordered a non-vibration resistant u-joint for the bottom. The vibration resistant one can not be modified to fit, and the frame is already finished and powdercoated. It would really need a WHOLE lot of clearance for safety. Losing the vibration resistant joint gets me an inch of clearance, and will be fine. Worst case is that I'll have to go back to a rag joint.

For the carb, the hood is already "bulged" a little, but more importantly it's finished. I really don't want to screw up the lines of a classic GTO hood. Good thought, though. I actually (for a very brief moment) thought about it.

Comment

Beautfiul car BTW.

Comment

I hate to suggest taking anything back apart when you are this close - but - would you consider a different intake manifold?

It looks like you'll have to stay with a spacer for clearance of your fuel system, but a lower intake might buy you enough space with the spacer installed to get a drop base air cleaner on it.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                                I hate to suggest taking anything back apart when you are this close - but - would you consider a different intake manifold?

It looks like you'll have to stay with a spacer for clearance of your fuel system, but a lower intake might buy you enough space with the spacer installed to get a drop base air cleaner on it.
                                Thanks for the idea, but I think I'm getting some ideas that will give me a solution.

Replacing the intake really isn't an option. There really aren't that many for a Pontiac, and I definitely want a single plane manifold. Only other option would be Performer really, as the Tomahawk and Warrior don't help with this. Or else go back to stock (not even remotely possible). A manifold with a lower carb height will create teh same issue as removing the spacer.

One solution is that replace the 1" spacer with a 3/8" spacer - it'll give me more than enough clearance for the accelerator pumps and will give me 5/8" more room at the top. I could then rotate the electric sending unit for the dash mounted fuel pressure gauge so that the port is away from the valve cover. And, I could simply remove and plug the mechanical pressure gauge. Then everything would fit - assuming I can find an air cleaner that fits.

A second solution is to simply remove the 1" spacer, and eliminate the current fuel delivery setup, replacing it with something else that allows sufficient clearance for a drop air cleaner.

I'm hoping the first solution works.

Comment

Working...
                                X