Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'66 GTO RestoMod Project - getting close!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '66 GTO RestoMod Project - getting close!

New guy here who just found the site recently. I'm in the Pgh, PA area, and am trying to finish up a project which I started at end of May 2008. I've always wanted a '66-'67 GTO convertible, but wanted to significantly modify some critical areas. So, didn't want to hack up a numbers matching legitimate car. So, last May I found a '66 LeMans convertible that could serve as the basis. Here's the car when it arrived slightly less than a year ago...

Stripped the car pretty quickly and got it out for Media Blasting. As expected, some additional cancer appeared. Here's what it looked like..

Re: '66 GTO RestoMod Project - getting close!

After getting the media blasting done, the body was epoxy primered to prevent further rust, and then it came off.

Frame and suspension were completely torn down, and then the frame was powdercoated.

Next, the frame and suspension were completely rebuilt. New SPC tubular adjustable front upper control arms, Howe Tall ball joints, SPC ProTouring springs (1-1.5" lowered), Currie Currectrac Billet rear upper and lower control arms, Edelbrock tubular rear braces, Spohn rear sway bar, Moser 12 bolt nodular crate rear end, TrueTrack 3.73, 33 spline axles, quick ration rebuilt power steering box, billet tie rod adjusters....

Comment

Drivetrain uses a TKO600 behind a Hayes Billet Flywheel, a Centerforce DF2 11" clutch, and a Keisler design hydraulic Throwout/slave cylinder unit and a Quicktime RM8070 scattershield..

Motor should also be lots of fun. Pontiac 400 block, bottom filled, 4 bolt mains, 4.25" forged stroker crank, Ultralight forged I-beam rods, Ross pistons (4.155" bore), custom grind roller cam and solid roller tappets (246/252, 112lsa, .660 lift w/1.65 roller rockers), Heavily ported KRE Aluminum heads, stud girdle, T2 and custom built 4150 style holley @ around 950cfm.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

And one with the drivetrain, airbags and new aluminum driveshaft installed....

Comment

Can't get entire quarter panels, so new quarter skins on both sides, trunk floor, tail panel, generally lots of work all around....

You can see the progress continue...

Making room inside the wheel wells as much as possible

Comment

Everything will be completely solid when this is done...

Nicely finished firewall!

No clearcoat yet in this pic of the bottom, but it sure looks great!

Jambs, dash, inside of doors, trunk are done and look great. Nothing buffed yet.

Comment

wow - sparing no expense in this build! holy cow - this is high end stuff!

did you have the engine dyno'd?
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              wow - sparing no expense in this build! holy cow - this is high end stuff!

did you have the engine dyno'd?
              Well, the project actually kind of grew from even what I initially had in mind. I decided I'll never likely have a chance to do another full bore build like this, so... Even now it's still slightly changing. It currently has OEM style discs up front and Ford 11" drums on the back (both new) but I've since ordered new Wilwood 12.2" 4 piston brakes for front and rear. I got Kris Horton to start some renderings, and I decided I didn't want to see tiny discs or drums on the back inside of the wheels. Here's the rendering....

Still haven't completely decided on the wheels. Probably going with 295/45R18 on the back to try and get as much traction as possible.

Engine was dynoed, but we ran out of time to do a couple more things. With very little timing it ran real cool at around 570hp, maintaining an incredibly flat torque curve with 550lbs by 3000rpm and maintaining over 500 through 6000. It needs a little fatter jetting, which would likely add in a little timing. We're pretty confident that if we wanted, we could easily get close to 600 reliably. I probably won't do it only because there's already more than this convertible frame can put to the ground, and because as it is I can run 89 octane if I really want.

Comment

me likey

Comment

Wow.....Sweet project....I love the 400 poncho power.

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

That is just absolutely gorgeous ... everything is !!
                    ;D

Comment

Lookin real nice,and i usually dont like red cars ;D

Comment

WOW, just WOW!

Comment

Originally posted by L98camino
                          WOW, just WOW!
                          x2, One Awesome Pontiac.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm a huge closet Poncho fan. What a great car. I love that color too.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Sweet ride. I love that you saved a marginal car rather then chop up a done one.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X