No announcement yet.

That Fresh LeMon Scent--1959 Edsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

way too much money for this project! The lobes and tappets look really nice. They'll last 5k miles, I think.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I see, and quite the oil pickup tube setup!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yeah, it's like they decided to put the oil system in after they designed the rest of the engine. Strange.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          way too much money for this project! The lobes and tappets look really nice. They'll last 5k miles, I think.
          Just a thought. I'm sure you're right, though.

Interesting to remember that in 1959 automatic transmissions were only standard in premium luxury cars so lots of cars were built with 3 speed manuals with the OD being a fairly cheap upgrade. We had several manual trans LeSabres in the customer fleet though in '63 when I started the boss only ordered autos for the cars he kept in stock. Manuals would be a special order and they did sell a few.

A tidbit - the Ford 3 speed manuals were tough and were fitted in many vehicles including Jeeps and Studebakers. Don't know if you know this, Jim, but the Jeep top cover floor shift bolts right on the top of that box - pull that top cover and replace it with the Jeep assembly. That way the linkage doesn't get tangled up (anyone who has driven a column-shifted manual in anger knows what I'm talking about). My first car, a '53 Studebaker, was thus fitted and it worked great. I think when mine was converted the Jeep trans' were pretty common so they just grabbed the plain side cover along with the top cover shifter but no doubt you could make a flat side cover easily enough.

Dan

Comment

The trans that was in the car was a BW T85, the one that's going in is a Ford side loader. Neither one of these is the same as the later top loader you're referring too...

but yeah, you can do neat things with the later transmissions. they don't fit Y block bellhousings very easily, unfortunately.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I always thought the Edsel was a cool looking car. I love the lines and the front ends on them.
              CHECK US OUT AT:
              www.ridetech.com

Comment

The cover page post reminded me, I wanted to ask, does it have a hood?

Comment

There is a hood, but it's off a black car, and it's kind of rusty and bent, and there are no hinges or latch...so it pretty much doesn't have a hood.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Sooooo in other words................ perfect for the event? And some "customizing"

Comment

Great to see your coverage on the front page. Jim gettin' more famous - for a FORD!!!!

Back in the day some journalist said that the Edsel looked like an Oldsmobile sucking a lemon - perfect for a LeMon event!

Dan

Comment

hey, neat! thanks for the tip

Yeah, the Edsel has always been the definition of "lemon" for me.

My fabulous web page

Comment

My dad always said that Edsels looked like a woman... and was like them as well.. tempremental..
                          Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 3, 2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I got a bunch of parts in the mail today, so I put the engine back together.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_151529.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1101017

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160504_193754.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1101018
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Sorry for the noob question, but what is that tool on the piston bolts?

Comment

That's a neat old tool that I don't know the name of...sold by Blue Point long ago...the patent calls it a connecting rod tool.

Someone gave me some old tools that a relative had, I figured out what it was, and been using it ever since. Probably 20 years.
                                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                                X