No announcement yet.

79 Zephyr Bonneville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My carbon fiber driveshaft just showed up but I haven't got it in because my rubber arm got twisted into putting the car into the local car show. My faded blue patina that I had planed to have on the car was also changed as a friend that has a sign shop wanted to wrap the car for the show. I told him he could do anything he wanted if I didn't have to pay. I did say I'd like to have a Canadian maple leaf on the car somewhere. So here it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0753.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	547.5 KB
ID:	1155286 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0754.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	602.3 KB
ID:	1155287

Comment

Doesn't look too bad once I zoomed in.. I kinda like the faded blue sleepy look..
      But then free is free!
      I could learn to like it..

Comment

Today is the day. I mailed off my $550.00 US ($762.00 canadian) entry fee. Still have a few things to deal with but August is 4 months away.

Comment

I need to get on the 'puter and make my plane reservations and call my top secret car rental place and reserve one. See ya in Impound! August isn't that far off.

Dan

Comment

Never thought I would want my ride in impound but I guess that is a good thing at Bonneville. Looking forward to meeting you Dan!!!

Comment

Steve: So no updates since late April? Do you plan on throwing it on a wheel dyno somewhere, or taking it for a "test drive" somewhere before making the ~30 hour pull to Bonneville? (Beaverlodge Airstrip maybe

James

Comment

Thanks to Mark and Mark we fired up the Zephyr on Saturday. Wanted to post a video but haven,t been able to figure that out. My wife has tried as well but no luck. Anyway it fired right up but we had to shut it off as we had a couple of oil and fuel leaks. Got those fixed so I'll see if it moves under its own power this weekend, if that goes well I'll probably take to to the drags in Fort St John B.C. to see if it will pull 9000+ RPM and make boost.

Comment

Another step in the right direction I drove the Zephyr down the driveway about 100 yards stopped, backed up and turned around. So I have low gear, brakes and reverse. I was surprised at how that little engine pulled without having to be reved up.

Comment

WIN!
                    Are you sure you didn't go "down the road"? .

Comment

Just the driveway this time but I am planning an early morning run when I can get a couple of lookouts.

Comment

I've taken Mutt to Coastal Plains Raceway (local dragstrip) a time or two. At least you can get on it pretty hard and shift a gear or two. Test n' Tune here is pretty cheap, maybe $20 US IIRC. Well worth it in any case and cheaper than a police citation.

Dan

Comment

Trick is to not get caught!

Comment

Only 3 weeks until I leave for Bonneville. Have all the safety gear installed seat belts, door net, fire bottles and parachute release. Need to install some weight boxes and install a charging system but it should be good to go as is. Going to take it to our local 1/8 mile track next week end. Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0764.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	1166954 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0762.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	1166955

Comment

Looks good, Steve!

My suggestion: Have whoever is driving do some bail-outs. There are all sorts of rumors about how much time you're allowed but the truth is that what they're looking for is that the driver has a thought-out process (kill power, release belts, etc, etc.) and that the process is executed systematically. It's easy to get caught up in finishing the car and leave out procedural stuff like this.

Be safe, go fast, have fun!

Dan

Comment

Dan are you going to be there? The 70 year old guy that built this car is also the driver. Anyone out there have any wheel alignment suggestions for a fox body for high speed(hopefully)?

Comment

Working...
                                X