GasTiresnOil-I’m Baaaack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GasTiresnOil-I’m Baaaack!

I have been biding my time and waiting for the right car to show up for some time-considered dozens of Camaros and Trans ams, new(er) challengers (out of my financial reach) as well as Hemi powered Dodge Magnum RT wagons and some Mustangs. Note the theme here being all modern, fuel injected cars with good bones to build on. My right hand guy at work is an LS expert with a C6 vette and I am a GM guy at heart, although I love most performance cars. I have been a fan of the Australian Holden built GTOs since they arrived here for their short run and the arrest-me-red paint with the red gut on this car finally reeled me in. It has an SLP loud mouth cat back which is surprisingly worse at 40 than it is at 70. The pinion bearings are going away and there are just enough cosmetic flaws (hood chips, not great refinish on front bumper, one door ding) to make it a great driver and easy to park and walk away from without too much worry. My 50 mile trip home revealed darty/twitchy steering that is definitely NOT normal, and a rear clunk indicating a rear subframe bushing issue or something. The 100k LS2 is OUTSTANDING-I have not owned/driven anything near this fast since the Sublime Fairlane went away. And the 67 Ford couldn’t touch the refinement of modern muscle. After everything is sorted there will undoubtedly be some drag strip fun and I will surely drive this on the Western Scenic Tour in September. For the short term is will be parked, my plate is full and timing wasn’t ideal for the next project BUT when the right car at the right price-the one that stirs the soul and ignites the imagination comes along, you have to jump on it!
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Hi Scott! Good to see you in some American muscle even if it's in an Aussie box. I miss the Fairlane but this should be a fun package.

Dan

Comment

Good score! I've driven both the 5.7 and 6.0L cars and they freaking rock!
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

very cool!
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Great choice, I've always liked them. I think what doomed them was calling it a GTO. I think it's worthy of the name but I think it was what everyone's idea what a GTO was suppose to be. GM probably would have sold a lot more if it was called a Trans Am.

This is exactly what make BS a great place, It's not brand specific. I'm basically a Ford guy but I can love other brands too and appreciate them.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; February 7, 2016, 09:07 AM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I think they should have done more resytling to go with the GTO name if that's what they wanted to call it. I think with slightly different front and rear ends with more GTO styling cues it would have sold better. But a Thunderchicken on the hood - well, I dunno......

Dan

Comment

ordered up a kenwood stereo with the kit tomake the stg wheel switches work, to replace the 10 dollar pos someone shoved into the hole in the dash. Sourced another complete rear diff for surprisingly low investment, so I can build it and just swap it in when the time comes. Car passed Ca smog easy, and is now sitting waiting for my impending knee surgery to go by and then we can drag him back out and get to work!

Comment

Best luck with the knee stuff! While I'm not wild about medical procedures the Docs have helped me a ton (Like keeping me alive - that sort of thing).

BTW - in my young adulthood GTO stood for a bunch of things including "Got Tires Ordered". No doubt I'll pull up some more of them as I think about it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Best luck with the knee stuff! While I'm not wild about medical procedures the Docs have helped me a ton (Like keeping me alive - that sort of thing).

BTW - in my young adulthood GTO stood for a bunch of things including "Got Tires Ordered". No doubt I'll pull up some more of them as I think about it.

Dan
                  I'm not wild about the medical needs of my age either, but I have been in pain since last May. Since Obamacare erased my health insurance last Feb. and said I could reapply ONLY after Nov. 15th, I had to wait this out. even at that my end is about 4k but it beats 20k. I should have a few days of boredom and living vicariously on the net till I can walk again, starting Friday at noon. "Gas Tires And Oil" was the only one I knew, "Got Tires Ordered" is pretty funny too!
                  Last edited by stage1scott; February 9, 2016, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Gonna Take Over was another (like, be in charge of the streets around here). There were a ton of 'em. I'll keep pondering.

Dan

Comment

Hey Scott. Nice to hear you got a new hot rod. Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures in misbehaving on the road.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Guy who bought one in the early 70's against his wife's wishes liked to say "Great Times Over"
                        Meaning he slept on the couch...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Guy who bought one in the early 70's against his wife's wishes liked to say "Great Times Over"
                          Meaning he slept on the couch...
                          WIth the exception of earning and supplying more money than she had ever seen before, everything I ever did was apparently against my wife's wishes-that's why her name begins with "EX" now! LOL

Comment

Some women just don't know when they have it good!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                              Hey Scott. Nice to hear you got a new hot rod. Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures in misbehaving on the road.

Hey Scott, hows the great white north treating you? I bet it's cheaper easier living for sure! Someday I am going to leave this SoCal ratrace behind as well-the balmy weather is nice but the political climate and the expense is tough to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X