Willys / Gladiator mashup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    The word "stance" existed long before it was co-opted by thugs into some slang ebonics terminology.

I defer to the original English.

Toy axles do have a certain merit for a 4x4 this size.............but it is just wrong to put Japanese axles under a Flatfender Jeep.

I mean, that's like shoving domestic axles under an FJ. Well almost anyways.

There are several visual vehicular trendiness I wish to avoid as well.

38's on a Flattie

Full-size width axles on a Flattie

Beadlocks on a Flattie

Chrome on a Flattie

Billet on a Flattie

Stretching a Flattie to Scrambler dimensions. (Hint, build a Scrambler if that is what you need)

Will add more as I think of them.

Am still lamenting the passing of most of the cool looking tires. Everything has to have Flames or Skulls or some such childish crap for a tread design nowadays. Really? Save that for the Schwinn.

Avoid the word "stance" just do it - there are other words, all of which do not imply some kid with pants around his knees and a hat this worn in any direction but a useful one.

I don't get why you're so anti-Japanese - after all, the axle design is either stolen from either Dana or Land Rover so it's just a "continuation" axle. Plus, with 6 lug you can use GM 1/2 wheels. I'd even consider samurai axles in a really-low hp application.... however, the narrowest US axles are bronco and scout... those come in dana 44 and dana 30 flavors.

I knew a guy while I was in college that ran 44s under a Willys, 4" lift and he cut to clear. Lincoln-locked axles, 5.38 gears, (no idea what flavor), a 283 and it would do wheelies on dry parking lots (which is how I met him, he was doing wheelies in a mall parking lot and went over backwards). But I'll tell you what, that Willys would go anywhere. Breathtakingly simple, not terribly expensive, but, because it was light and right-geared... snowmobiles would get stuck and he'd pull them out.... best part is he didn't stretch anything - by doing a small lift, the angles were not unuseable.

Of course, to listen to the magazines, you can't do anything that he did with that Willys - which is probably why I get in so much trouble in Pirate; because I don't believe the hype.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• are you two gonna work this out, or do we need a referee? hehee...

Stance ... both ways... in the dirt.
      Last edited by Beagle; October 13, 2015, 03:54 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Avoid the word "stance" just do it - there are other words, all of which do not imply some kid with pants around his knees and a hat this worn in any direction but a useful one.

I don't get why you're so anti-Japanese - after all, the axle design is either stolen from either Dana or Land Rover so it's just a "continuation" axle. Plus, with 6 lug you can use GM 1/2 wheels. I'd even consider samurai axles in a really-low hp application.... however, the narrowest US axles are bronco and scout... those come in dana 44 and dana 30 flavors.

I knew a guy while I was in college that ran 44s under a Willys, 4" lift and he cut to clear. Lincoln-locked axles, 5.38 gears, (no idea what flavor), a 283 and it would do wheelies on dry parking lots (which is how I met him, he was doing wheelies in a mall parking lot and went over backwards). But I'll tell you what, that Willys would go anywhere. Breathtakingly simple, not terribly expensive, but, because it was light and right-geared... snowmobiles would get stuck and he'd pull them out.... best part is he didn't stretch anything - by doing a small lift, the angles were not unuseable.

Of course, to listen to the magazines, you can't do anything that he did with that Willys - which is probably why I get in so much trouble in Pirate; because I don't believe the hype.

Jeez.....now that you bring me up to date on the current vernacular I'll have to delete stance from my vocabulary.

Here in Backwater Bucyrus Ohio we are still sportin the Joe Dirt model of slovenliness.....haven't gone all high fashion with it yet.

Seriously, thanks. I would have embarrassed myself around my wife's big city acquaintances. Again. Not that I mind.

That Willys sounds like my inspiration. Flashback to the stuff I grew up around.

Japanese axles you say?
        Last edited by STINEY; October 13, 2015, 07:39 PM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• YES STINEY JAPANESE AXLES!
          Leaving my daughters a week ago after babysitting..(son in law is a city cop) the kid up the street just got his lime green lifted Toyota pickup back on the road.. It was backed in the driveway for some time, but as I was driving by, it was nose up in the driveway with smoke all around, he was boiling 44's.. STOCK AXLES!

Comment

• Hmmm. Japanese axles.

Have been kinda leaning towards either running the Dana 27s until they break, and then swapping in disk brake Dana 30 front and Dana 44 or AMC 20 rear - - or just swapping in the 30 and 20 now.

The Gladiator stuff is very wide, and strong. Way overkill for what this light Willys will ever see. We don't exactly have Rubicon-style rock-crawler trails here in Ohio.

Found a pair of Dana 44 Wagoneer axles that are a better choice, fairly local and cheap. Guy wants $150 for the complete front frame clip with steering/springs and matching rear, with wheels and junk tires. That's hard to turn down, but again - -- way overkill and would still need narrowed.

What's under it now are 55" front and 54" rear wide WMS to WMS

The narrow-track Wagoneer stuff is 61" and 59.5"

The Gladiator stuff is 64" and 64"

Stock CJ2A is 48" just for comparison

What I am thinking now is CJ7 stuff. They came in narrow and wide track (my other Jeep project is a narrow track, and the CJ7 I used to drive was a wide track)

CJ7 front Dana 30s were 56" wide track and 53" narrow track

CJ7 rears were 54.5 wide and 50.5 narrow

I like how it sits now. With that in mind, I am thinking Narrow track CJ7 Disk brake front Dana 30 at 53" (cheaper because no one wants a narrow track) and a wide track CJ7 rear at 54.5".

Of course that is subject to change. No concrete course of action is either expressed or implied.

Todays progress. Played with forklifts and hot water pressure washers again. Found the source of the water leak from the 4.3 too.

Freeze plug might need replacing. It was a minor seepage, until the pressure washer blew the crusty stuff away. Big holes now.

Comment

• Best to find those now than way in the middle of "Untowtruck Corner".
              Ohio has a different wear than what we see here in the beautiful PNW!
              Last edited by Deaf Bob; October 23, 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• little stop leak or some JB-weld and good as new lol
                Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• That cleaned up real nice.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• The wash bay at work is an awesome piece of equipment.....but I also soaked it liberally with Easy Off oven cleaner for 4 hours. Crap just melts away.
                    Last edited by STINEY; October 25, 2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Easy off eh? I'll have to remember that. I used my pressure washer on the Explorer motor I bought but it wasn't that grimey.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Easy-Off (the old formula with lots of horrible chemicals) kicks butt. Just suit up really well as it WILL burn skin.

Dan

Comment

• And make you go blind if you get a droplet in your eye

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            Easy-Off (the old formula with lots of horrible chemicals) kicks butt. Just suit up really well as it WILL burn skin.

Dan
                            Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            And make you go blind if you get a droplet in your eye
                            Ahhh, the good old days.

Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Donor truck's last ride.

Final net total of the '94 donor truck = +$125.00

Not too shabby. From the start I was content to pay $300ish for the engine/harness/computer stuff, so in that light I was probably pretty darn competitive with my parting prices.

Comment

• Dang, looks like the Sawzall Zombie Termites got to that one! Do you have to have a title if the part with the VIN has been chopped off and sold?
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X