No announcement yet.

Willys / Gladiator mashup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone has been here before.....paint marks on the flexplate. The twisted off bolt head clued me into that already.

Notice the huge balancing weight.

Last edited by STINEY; October 6, 2015, 07:48 AM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Grungy. Got the engine harness all labeled and pulled. Stripping this down for a date with the hotsy.

Reference for the EGR control vacuum routing.

With all the harness. Hard to clean it like this.

Comment

nice to know someone is making progress - interesting indeed.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Hey John! Long time my friend. How's the house work coming? (we are down one bathroom, with the shower relocated to the basement, and winter coming)

Comment

The front accessory drive has been completely disassembled, cleaned, greased sealed bearings with a syringe full of sticky red synthetic, painted and reassembled.

And poochy-mutt shop dog photo-bombed me.

Comment

poochy-mutt shop dog photo bomb for the win!
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Learned something interesting. These are Cutlas lockout hubs, some of the first of the breed. The guts are right next to bulletproof.

Also did some gunk scraping last night.....both front and rear axles are Dana 27 models.

Last edited by STINEY; October 13, 2015, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Love the stiffness this hitch thing provides, hate the look.

Still can't believe that blue paint came off like it did.

Last edited by STINEY; October 13, 2015, 07:23 AM.

Comment

yeah buddy, those hubs look stout!
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Ummm, question for you Stiney. What has more strength, higher-spline-count or lower?
                      Another question.... why do you think that all the companies that did outside-grab hubs are no longer in business? could it be because when you have the hubs locking by grabbing things like mud, snow, and the occasional punk-kid might twist them without the owners knowledge or consent? if that kind of shenanigan were to happen, could you easily tell if the hub were locked or unlocked? and best of all.... once the hub is all nicely coated with grease, ice, snow, and mud.... how easily can you grab that?

at least they're not these hateful hubs

but they are in the same wheelhouse....
                      oh and question for fun and profit - how do you lock those hubs?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Never seen that but looks like you'd pull the wings out, give 'em each a 180 then stick them back in. What'd I win?

Comment

• I'm just having fun figuring out what all these pieces are. Who knows, might find something valuable/sellable......those hubs seem to go for $100 and no waiting.

Its looking like the Willys will be getting the Gladiator axles anyways. Dana 44 and Dana 60 Thinking about narrowing them up several inches first though.

I do like how the current stance on the Willys is, would like to preserve that "look" if possible with the beefier axles.

Still haven't found the BOM codes on the front Dana 27 with the outboarded springs. Lots of goo on it.

Comment

• stance on a 4x4? oh my lord... I've heard Ohio has a drug problem, but I didn't think it'd made it to Chez Stiney.
                            I hate to say this, but perhaps you should consider FJ60 axles instead? or perhaps toyota minitruck?
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 13, 2015, 11:58 AM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• The word "stance" existed long before it was co-opted by thugs into some slang ebonics terminology.

I defer to the original English.

Toy axles do have a certain merit for a 4x4 this size.............but it is just wrong to put Japanese axles under a Flatfender Jeep.

I mean, that's like shoving domestic axles under an FJ. Well almost anyways.

There are several visual vehicular trendiness I wish to avoid as well.

38's on a Flattie

Full-size width axles on a Flattie

Beadlocks on a Flattie

Chrome on a Flattie

Billet on a Flattie

Stretching a Flattie to Scrambler dimensions. (Hint, build a Scrambler if that is what you need)

Will add more as I think of them.

Am still lamenting the passing of most of the cool looking tires. Everything has to have Flames or Skulls or some such childish crap for a tread design nowadays. Really? Save that for the Schwinn.

Last edited by STINEY; October 13, 2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• I think Coker makes reproduction military tires. Seems fitting and proper for a flay fendered Jeep. But whaddaIknow - not an off-road guy.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X