Luxury Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Where does the pipe leak? I was not planning on replacing mine, but now might be the right time. Do you know what is the normal life span of the pipe?
    Mine is a NPI engine and has a rubber/metal pipe and the rubber has cracked, causing the leak. No big deal, I should have done it when I had the intake off for replacement. Your Panther is a PI engine and has a different tube with better longevity.

Comment

PI as in Police Interceptor?

What years are the weak ones?
      Got 3-03 and newer for the granddaughters to play with on the farm.. Ex cop trainers. Not streetable.. Will be derbied when current stock runs out..

Comment

PI=Performance Improved--generally speaking '99 up 2V SOHC engines.

Again, generally speaking, there really isn't a "weak" 4.6. With the exception of the Cobra engines they almost all have the same cast cranks, hypereutectic pistons and sintered rods, and will stand up to about 400-450 hp before they start breaking things. Service is always the biggie with most modern engines. Change the oil early and often and don't cheap out on the filter and you'll probably be alright.

Some light reading for you.

In 2005, Ford introduced a three-valve (3V) SOHC version of the 4.6L for the newly restyled retro-look Mustang. Major changes included the use of two intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder to increase air velocity, torque and power, variable cam timing and a weight-saving aluminum cylinder block. Related Articles - Shop Solutions April

Last edited by hauen; January 9, 2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Is that likely what we have in Vanna, the '99 E150? Just curious.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
            Dan try putting the vin in it might tell you. I wold be willing to bet gallon of unleaded that it's a NPI

Ford VIN decoder - Lookup and check Ford VIN number and get build sheet with specs.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I got all the bolts out of the valve cover but it's getting hung up. Going to try removing the driver's side motor mount. Intake didn't make it today, snow slowed it down.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                Dan, the Mustang got the PI engine in '99, cars and trucks are typically 2002. The front runner on the intake manifold switched sides is the easy visual reference.
                1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                1997 Mustang GT
                sigpic

Comment

4 days to replace the valve cover gaskets. I jacked the left side of the car up to get ready to pull the motor mount. I decided to try one more time. I was able to get the valve cover off. To get it back on I unhooked the harness to get a little more room.

It might be a wash time wise to pull the motor put on a stand and do all this work.

The snow is holding up my parts delivery. UPS Tracking shows the intake in Raleigh out for delivery but it didn't make it to the house today. The gaskets are at the Durham USPS. I am hoping they will be here tomorrow.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

All my parts made it to the house. Old and busted vs new and clean. From what I can tell the plastic came out of the same mold. The crossover is the "AB" version where mine is the "AA"

Moved the rails injector, and temp over.

This job requires removeal of the cowl it was sealed I had to pull it up , the black stuff is still pliable. How should I reinstall it?

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Very carefully...but seriously, folks. I'd say if it's still pliable just put it back on, if you're nervous, put a little weatherstripping or caulk or something around it.

Comment

I was thinking that if it's still pliable you could pinch it upward a bit and it should reseal. Otherwise, remove the black goop, apply a new bead of body caulk, and reassemble.

Those are my guesses.......

Dan

Comment

Today didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. The fitmet of the felpro gaskets suck. The bolts were in a bind on the last hole because it was so far off. These are should be pdub proof they have two nubs where they snap into holes drilled in the heads

Because I am a hack I opened the holes up and crossed my fingers.

Hopefully I don't see this again anytime soon

It runs! Sounds a little different, this intake does not have the sound deader on the underside of the intake so I will blame it on that. I may have picked up
                          a whistle the cowl was very brittle and I had a few pieces of plastic left after it was all together.
                          Last edited by Russell; January 14, 2017, 02:30 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

So the AC has not been working well. The compressor would take about 15 min to come on. I thought it was low on gas. So I got a can of stop leak and a can of 134a. After putting the stop leak in the pressures were in range.

The compressor still was not coming on as it should. One time it came on after wiggling the low pressure switch. That quit working, eventually I figured out the relay was bad.

Now that I switched the relay I only get high beams when the turn signal is on. Also the compressor sounds like a hard start. I sure it should be drained and refilled, I guses I will check the pressures again on the next hot day. Any one want to take bets on how long the compressor last?
                            Last edited by Russell; March 12, 2017, 10:27 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              Now that I switched the relay I only get high beams when the turn signal is on.
                              Russell, I know I volunteered to work on it after I got through with Red's blower project, but I'm taking that offer back.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I really need to do a front brake job. I would like a good set of rotors that will not warp easily. I do a lot of interstate driving so quick deceleration from 75 -35 to make the off ramp. I would like some pads that don't make to much dust.

I looked a little at rock auto just because it's easy I can buy them from any where.

What would you get?

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X