3 trucks, I'd take in all 3.
    I only hunt down the manual tranny. Click image for larger version

Name:	00a0a_98DleVa7WFK_1200x900.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1157157
    $4800
    short chore list for this one.
    this one, identical to mine..with 240k less miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01515_94BBtTCEnnW_1200x900.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1157158

this one, comes with a newer motor, while the one in it is still good.. 6.5 diesel
    nv4500.
    in fact, this may be the best bargain...
    but not a best choice.
    it is a needed truck. Buy if needed.

Name:	00909_2f9MB7CuTFm_1200x900.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1157159

this one, my least favorite..
    if it was the iron 4.8, the rear doors would not be falling off to aluminum gonorrhea.

worth an inquiry..
    and a core shifter.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 8, 2017, 06:38 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
      iridium plugs
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1149500[/ATTACH]

having experimented with spark plugs all the way to thermite explosions, lightning strikes and other acts of God with my scooby doo..
      and that time I knocked power out on center street by accident...
      anyway,
      some interesting lessons unfolded...

I got to thinking of the truck, as I tend to leave most things alone (haha)
      epoxy coil, ECM controlled everything..
      the iridiums are champs there.

so I got 8 on the way at a crazy ebay price...and there is a rebate.
      A very good system has no egr goo building up anywhere, this truck is simply good... doesn't hurt to upgrade with my own knowledge.
      The iridiums in the subaru, on the digital MSD, optical disty... phenomenal.

Truck should be similar...on v8s, one toe nail width less of the throttle over a couple hundred miles is quite a surprise.
      A reassuring thought is the rebate is tied in with GM themself. If you are not familiar with how GM works, replacements being cheaper are the corrective path. Like a/c pumps, and fuel pumps, etc. I bet this first edition vortec is begging for them. Last year with old plug design on the new ECM stuff.
      this should be 20 something dollars for all 8 plugs when rebate goes through.

Name:	CCI05112017.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1157671

well that was a bargain.
      got the rebate check today.

Name:	plugsale.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1157672
      12 bucks for 8 iridiums.

1.50 a piece after rebate.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• panel repaired

Name:	DSC06895w.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	946.7 KB
ID:	1158137

this side here, it had a large dimple.. you can still see it where the lines take an arch.. towards the back of wheel well in the reflection.
        shrugged it off, its a truck.

I was poking at some drooling scab at the back of chrome trim on wheel well, turned out to be a hole.

I don't like holes.
        fixed that up and realized I was digging into someone elses monster. Glad to see all kinds of steel . All original. No bondo miracles. I made the first hole by poking. Hammer marks, as I sanded into it etc. Someone really fixed a dent to leave me that dimple.

why I went this far...for something that cannot be like new ever again?

I was driving home, pink frills hanging out the door of a little ricer.. what girl would wear a dress like that? Going through a university road, seems to be a party night, even a roof top of a frat had a crowd.

Going by a high school..
        prom night.

where junk machines are shined and making noise,
        girls are dressing for the boys.

I remembered a reason I shined my old dented fender.

realistically, I do this for electrical and of course rust. A truck bed panel is real easy to let go as less than stellar. Any effort at all seems to go respected.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 13, 2017, 05:44 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the roof

124F in the cabin..
          75F outside in the wind.

Name:	DSC06915w.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	993.8 KB
ID:	1158664

Damn. I do remember declaring this undrivable heading into summer...2 years ago?

the a/c is a gem.

looking roof over, it is the problem, I am sure now.. looks like urethane and acrylic catalyzing or two acrylics.
          blistery, peeling appearance...and of course very hot.

I do have paint, duplicolor in a jug I paid too much for.. going belt sander on this one.. and the paint gun.
          the duplicolor is some industrial standard, real paint for autos as th the primary job.. not a splash on repair. I fell for it. will see how the 25 dollar quart does.

the a/c is low energy, I do not even know when it cycles.. I keep a thermistor in the vent as a tell tale.
          41.9F even on a day and cabin like today.
          I sure did it right this time.
          Even the engine likes it.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 90F today

quite a leap from the stubborn cold. Believe it or not.. I can still feel the fingers of what is escaping winters grip into the breeze of this hot sun.
            I ponder it was a space X rocket launch adding the oddity.

Name:	hot1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1158959

it is hotter in maine than Georgia right now.

This place is absolutely amazing.

132F to get in the cab.. hottest I have never seen. Not even June.
            After a very cold 7 months.. now this.
            92F outside...

the a/c still took over.
            sipping on an ice tea sweetened, 45.7 at the upper vent...
            a 20 mile round trip had interior cool to the touch.

Seeing hands in the wind, windows down, evidence of a 7 month winter on the machines tortured like mine.

as if to be a privileged person to be as cozy as I am.
            the v8 don't care if you want to climb the speedometer into the 70s.. dusty devilish pollenated, hot windy, dry...
            one notch width past the 180 mark on the engine temp. The a/c feeding that little extra locomotive thump to whatever in the engine bay is accepting the scavenged cold of the return line to the pump.. I ponder it is the fuel line that benefits. smartly placed routing by gm..

no doubting it.

361,105 miles now...
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 18, 2017, 11:13 AM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• power steering cooler line

this problem predates 1988..
              the hot side of power steering box heading into the cooler. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06940w.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	998.5 KB
ID:	1159399

here is someones old exploder setup.
              living on the barbless edge.
              I have yet to find a normal hookup.. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06939w.jpg
Size:	916.8 KB
ID:	1159400

I had some turbo oil lines, those need tremendous strength and standards to stay alive.
              I almost want to call it an NPTF fit.. but not educated enough to declare. It did not need any tape to seal.
              in fact, in my own amazement..it did not even need full warm to seat.

the first foot out of the box gets too hot to touch, and then the whole damn thing gets hot even with a cooler.
              Summer is on its way.
              I always wanted to do this for the exit side of the box, heading into the cooler.
              Won't need to think of it. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06942w.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	970.3 KB
ID:	1159402

I found this to be a source of one hell of a fire as well in a distant memory of a friends truck.
              ATF version of power steering is like nitroglycerin in my locale...just needs to age to become more potent.
              That is all fixed today, with real power steering fluid, synthetic and clear. No more red.

the other end has a big fat barb, and a choice for another type of connection. Going with this for now.. it is just right.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 21, 2017, 09:43 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• bed quarter rod

the rod that holds bottom of fenders in front of wheel and aft.. the dangling quarters on a pickup bed.
                I expected to find those all disconnected or broke when I bought this, as the cross sills when I bought this were all bad, but two of the five.
                bed was a bit out of shape.. but all there holding the lines.

found one more after the lengthy winter.. left side rear. It is just the fender material letting go of the stabbing rod. They never have enough footprint.

A stainless sandwich, and back together.. awaiting the welds ahead.
                I did that for the two front ones already. Welded in.. painted.
                another weird thing.. the bolts all unbolted...gave it the sandwich, right back together, full tighten.
                thread upside down, pointing upward in the mud gathering pits of those fenders...
                what are the odds.

I then remembered stuff about the chevys....
                there is not a chance this truck has 361k. it must be a total rebuild. Odom swap or something.

there is just no chance in hell this has 361k.
                the trans might...
                all else needs the intervals. Even the engine.

I did not get a photo of the sandwich.. it is a common chore. I shared the other two all done already. It is the same thing, but aft of the wheel well.

Still calling it 60-90k miles. I am giving it chores that happen when they are 6 months old in maine...at 21 years.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 22, 2017, 03:53 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• power steering followup

I had no thread tape for the new turbo line I used in the power steering box.
                  sure enough it has got a seep of about an 1/8th cup for 2 days.

found some drops underneath. checked power steering, topped it off with this stuff:
                  I found it in the back of my subaru. Might be ten years old. Click image for larger version

Name:	lucasstopleak.jpeg
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1159950

this was miraculous in the crazyass subaru...that steering rack was bad enough to blow it out of it...and then catch on fire in the end. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06940w.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1159951

seeing the old threads of the power steering cooler oem line.. only 3 threads counting on a rubber O-ring..

Name:	DSC06938w1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	1159952

I will stick to this setup of the connection using all threads, and meeting a flat surface at the top.
                  much deeper connect. More robust.

My brakes in this gmc do the same thing.. brand new connections.
                  It is as if I need to wait for the two metals to realize they are in the same spot.

this will work.. I don't even need to think of it.

I see I swapped the line just two days ago.. so it is still young for sure.

a thread tape missing like weepy leak..this stuff is awesome.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 23, 2017, 04:03 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• oil change: 6000 miles
                    mobil 1
                    this may be the longest I have gone in one oil swap, with a pro products billet oil filter. I have had one for 10 years on the subaru. I only work that to 3k miles at a time, if that.
                    An extra i bought today, as a new filter is not needed in the change.. a can of brake clean, just for the stainless mesh.

Name:	DSC06944w.jpg
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	1160097

the dirty magnet. Doing very good.
                    last change was august 20, 2016. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06956w.jpg
Size:	613.3 KB
ID:	1160096

back to clean

Name:	DSC06948w.jpg
Size:	621.8 KB
ID:	1160100

the dirty filter

Name:	DSC06958w.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	1160095

sunlight through the stainless mesh after cleaning with brake clean.
                    this is .15 micron Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06959w.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	732.3 KB
ID:	1160099

Name:	DSC06963w.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	1160098

a look back at the old oil. Nothing extreme. I can tell it was somebodies habit to use regular oil for years.
                    Each change with mobil one is a different oil change for the next round.

Name:	DSC06960w.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	810.2 KB
ID:	1160101
                    no regrets on this filter. It is aluminum and acts as an oil cooler.. as this truck has an oil cooler already, simple extra.
                    I also added a metal pipe for the power steering, removed the turbo lines.

I guess my concerns lately are the a/c being full speed ahead. A lot more heat to contend with at the radiators.
                    So now the two extras..power steering with extra metal tube, and the billet aluminum filter.
                    This goes a long day.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 24, 2017, 01:11 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the other twin

I thought this was interesting. Click image for larger version

Name:	00303_i1KhCnLxNlv_1200x900.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1160237

right in bangor maine
                      it has 355k miles. I am at 361k.
                      same chores in cross sills, rear frame.
                      manual trans.

Name:	image_51509.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1160238

engine seems to be a hack, but not sure.
                      with 200k on the motor.. not a chance to be an old carbed SBC.
                      assume vortec.

$2500.

now this single cab breaking the sills, it is a good sign. This model usually broke in half just after the cabs.
                      1996 did do something special.
                      the vortec with real fuel control and its alternator with a brain sure helped it.

edit:
                      this one is hacked. Ad mentioned timing and an oil gauge.
                      who the hell scraps a vortec for an old school 350?
                      dynamical world.

I'd call this the 88-95.. NOT a 96.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 25, 2017, 10:45 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 6 months on the ebay headlamps

I knew the plastic was the real kind this time.
                        I made some adjustment up. I installed these with quite a pile of snow in it... changes rake.
                        empty the bed and they are aiming down

problems with trucks.

I found one bolt loose, remembered how cold it was before installing these..I knew I chose a warmer day for december.
                        Strong casing this time.

anyway, if interested in the setup it is in previous posts. Two thumbs up.

The LED experiments continue...

another hospital run for my veteran neighbor.
                        It is an inspiration to stay in every runtime detail. It is like having a patient in an ambulance.. can't have a hack job vehicle going down the road.
                        My neighbor noted "this sounds different today."
                        it is thumpy. Maybe the flowmaster muffler finally gained some carbon.
                        Oil change synched in for the next 6000 mile round, no crackles in the y-pipe.. just a confident drum roll on the bassy side of sound.

I waited in my truck at the v.a. clinic,
                        a lot of canes, neuro twitchiness coming and going. That is me not far from now.
                        Not sure how I go this maimed and appear to be normal.
                        Maybe being 44 is not all that old.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 31, 2017, 09:00 AM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• food run

it is a once a month thing.. I stock up at sam's club.
                          I took a relative who is having a bad time with me. A row of rooms of misfortune.

my truck is beautiful there. Sam's club is awe inspiring.

Confidence of rowing gears in a city, to hear an echo in the buildings and bridges..
                          sitting up higher for a view,
                          spotting the truck easily in a big parking lot..

I remember why I am always humbled. Reminded by people who have nothing.

I was there, in an atypical way.. normal for a veteran. I will never forget.

I saw a goldwing in exceptional condition sell today.. for $1500.
                          I would have sucked cash off my credit card if I had known.
                          I could flip a double in days...and even deliver.

An aggressive ride home, convinced now I am mainstream again.
                          I sure am. The fast lane with the middle class on a friday evening.
                          Back to the woods at 85mph...just like everyone else.

the a/c vent at 42F keeping my frozen items cold for the longer ride against odds.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• extra weld

I am always looking at the space between cab and bed.. been doing that since I was akid. It deifies logic in every way.

Name:	bentup1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1162349

Name:	bentup2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1162350

by chance.. this truck showed up on my ebay searches (I look for the 305 vortec VIN "M")
                            the 1998 bent up theother direction. P-rated tread with air still in them... this event is a weaker excuse than imagined.

played on my mind a bit.

I then found abroken frame from 1990.
                            this one has excuses.

Name:	00m0m_bhwxLbe2b7a_1200x900.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1162351

a plow on the first gen gmt400
                            .. rivets are the only thing holding the spring hangar.. the overlap to rear cab mount seems to be non-existent.

Name:	00P0P_8Z77t7HBc4y_1200x900.jpg
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	1162352

I then concluded.. somewhere after 1990, and before 1996.. there is a big frame update.
                            my own is factory welded...quite robust. I can still smash it with a hammer.
                            I picked up one whole side from one spot as well..as I was curious.

I am going to laminate mine before anything even thinks of happening, right on the bottom, where that 1990 broke.
                            30 minute job.

I found this video too.. this is the chassis years after the gmt400.
                            my own does not do anything like this.
                            The last 3 feet in the back, driver side was something similar, but that was the only spot, related to chemistry... and a very BAD trailer brake juiced it.
                            I could really leave this truck alone for years to come.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 8, 2017, 08:51 PM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• who am I kidding.
                              broken frames are for people that break them.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

• V.A. hospital run

222 miles.
                                13.69 gallons

16 mpg.

nice ride this morning..
                                a strange fact. My neighbor has the most miles on my truck.
                                I have not needed to drive 222 miles round trip for anything...but my neighbor.
                                several trips thus far.

I won't mention the ill..it is serious. Disabled vet , not much family.

I also noticed, I never get in trouble parking wherever at the V.A..
                                that place normally has a good walk as the lot fills up.
                                I pull into the reserved dialysis or even handicapped spots. I noticed 3 digit veteran plates are normally handicapped/disabled.
                                My plate number must be the parking permit.
                                hard telling.

kept a dash cam rolling, uneventful ride.
                                looking at some of the clips.. it does sound damn good.

no regrets on the flowmaster.

this one shows i do not panic into a roundabout anymore. Very controlled discipline.
                                no more panic. none. Ever.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 14, 2017, 05:37 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X