1996 GMC 5-speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind howling

like a dumbass, I deleted all 30 gb of dash video.
    awesome ride.
    snow flying across the road..not enough to make drifts.
    Truck is quite tanked and stable.

for some odd reason, the iridiums are more of a sway bar than the regular plugs (don't laugh)
    I am guessing the outside skin of the block ,makes a cool engine bay.
    precise non-heat soaking plugs.

so I barrel assed to my appointment, wind sideways.

first doctor in 12 years.
    I requested a heavy element check along with the normal routine. .this costs more on the blood tests, but I was informed the secondary is taken care of by the gov.
    I wonder when that set in.

I have analyzed my own data sheets in the past.
    the only close to alarming result is very high platelet count. 359000 per the average of 450k.
    not enough to raise a flag..
    very lucky.
    I assume my foot is always broken. Puts up a daily fight.

The other one goes with a couple thousand years of the ocean. My sodium level has been 1 point off the bottom of the scale since my first test decades ago.
    I am designed to feed salt manually.

I am a sweet man. ..or a fresh water fish. One of those two things.
    I am sure its genetic sailor man..
    anyway,

Flew all the way home, we are getting one more frigid blast.
    A regular routine will be doctors for coming months. I only pretend not to be nervous. (I think my foot has to go)

During the month of April the average temperatures undergo the largest rise of any month of the year. The average high temperature climbs from 40 degrees on the 1st to 56 by the end of the month. The average low temperature rises from 23 on the 1st to 36 by the end of the month. The warmest temperature ever observed during the month of April was 86 degrees on April 27, 1990. The coldest temperature ever observed in April was 4 below on April 6, 2015.
    caribou released its monthly report for april.

I was here in this town for 91F in that april of 1990. Junior year of high school. The school warmed up to the smell of death. We walked out and sat on the railroad tracks.. about half a dozen of us young boys. We not only not got into trouble.. they let people go if they were feeling sick.

I hopped into my pimping 81 chevette to gain a breeze.

I was also here in 1987, still a top 3 wettest record. Big flood.
    and right in this building for the 2015 low temp of 4 below.

it is in that cycle again, we are at 8F at 230am.. wind is still brutal. I am expecting the building to bend in coming weeks, the ground is won into the cold.
    I am hoping to capture this long hallway.. it is taking on an angle beyond my imagination.

it is kinda like an engine after shutdown, it keeps warming up before it cools.
    maine ground keeps freezing after it gets warm, for several weeks...this leaves the top half of a building roasting, and the bottom half wanting to kick it off.

like a hot black GMC in the march sun, with a january frame underneath it... I setup the front cab mounts to be the difference maker. Going well thus far.
    Body on frame forever.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 22, 2017, 11:54 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• too much text, no pictures

has not a scrubbing clean since.. don't know.
      last fall. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03859w.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	869.6 KB
ID:	1151033

Opted to pay 8 bucks and go through a real car wash with spinning flapper wheels etc.
      gets the roof and some good spray underneath.

with new plugs, new led headlamps, there is a static signature that needs to go away with the goop to make changes. It is for a gentle ground signature. Something new inplace.
      the lights used to be the biggest circuit on this truck.

There was not one vehicle coming at me on the way home, that did not look at this old truck.(I am not kidding)
      I still tend to look twice.

there is black paint and there is black paint.

I do a lot of reading. I was glad to joing a viet nam veterans group on facebook, andlearned that they called hills by numbers, that is usually thier height.
      hamburger hill was 937 for example.

So I got to checking around for a hill named 673.
      that is my veteran plate number the state gave me.

..and i found something

hill 673 North Korea

I only stopped wallowing at my own tour, with true stories of infantry. I was put in my place, and wept.
      The hill 673 story is brutal.
      Several of Ramer's men waited for their lieutenant a few yards down the hill. He didn't show up. They climbed back to get him. he had been wounded again, this time seriously, but was firing at the oncoming North Koreans. Between rounds he forcefully ordered his Marines back to safety. The last time the Marines saw their leader alive, 2dLt Ramer was still shooting Communists. Very soon thereafter the sound of firing ceased.
      here is one paragraph.

That one battle had 2 medals of honor, in the modern rules (very serious). some Navy crosses.
      I dedicate my plate to hill 673.

This battle changed the way supplies came in. A new found use for helicopters. The entire Viet Nam war and its air power use is modeled after this one battle.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 24, 2017, 03:10 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 110 dollar jack at sears

this was posted at gm-trucks..
        I fell for it.
        turned out to be quite legit, went and picked it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04061w.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	1151327

3 ton jack.. beefy.
        jack stands, 6000 pound each
        and a creeper.
        $110

my truck has no flex, acts like a one ton. ever noticed they need a beefy jack up front?
        I nearly hurt myself on my 2 ton jack.. had no clue I exceeded until it did it.

the jack itself is 73 pounds.
        very confident, the gears looks cheap.. but no worries. Quite a good deal.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 25, 2017, 06:43 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• summary of big green

this is my impression of all trucks i grew up with.

4 hours was a typical; start to done time..even after work hours.
          my own record is 2 hours, a straight six over to a 350.. burt that was a big engine bay 74 chevelle.
          We left the garage with no mistakes.
          just over a couple of hours.

I look for the number 73. It was a psychological trick for admin paper workers, programmers, crew chiefs, fuel pumpers, load levellers etc.
          it helps to take a broad focus away. Just pick a number, memorize it.. and just go through life. Click image for larger version

Name:	likenbr.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1151431

I had joked I see it everywhere now.. more than 25 years later.

here is my plate number as the 673rd like..and it is my like.

I think you tube is a witch on my life anyway...
          this just goes with it.

speaking of 73.
          that is the exact weight of the 3 ton jack. I have it in a good spot in the truck as ballast..after cleaning out things I don't need. now a full tank has over 100 pounds on the other side. Stays nice to the old rails, and torque dispersion.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 26, 2017, 10:07 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• fan conversion

in maine, all fluid clutch fans work backwards.
            they scream a dig in the cold, go dead when you need them in the heat.

I love the shroud and how precise they built everything.. but....

I was watching my favorite show, and they accurately proved 14hp gone to the clutch fan...6 foot pounds.

..and that turned out to be the best fan of the bunch.

anyway, with 60amps draw done away with LED lighting, I am making a point to hack in an electric fan, and keep the shroud.
            Even my accessory ports for this GMC are empty.

full 50amp at my disposal.

ride a switch, most likely from one of my old subarus, a relay, and see what this old girl does.

Another factor not mentioned is how fast manual tranny curves dig into rpm curve.. if the fan feels like digging, it is an absolute monster.
            my own sounds off like a tractor trailer sometimes.

the last positive argument for electric, is idle times, when that clutch fan does not work at 120F pavement temps in a traffic jam on a hill with a boat on the hitch.

Will draw up a plan, show the install.

found the biggest fan I could 3000 cfm.
            16 inch. Factory in the shroud is 19.5 inch.
            factory also has a 9000 cfm peak or some crazyass number when it decides to kick in full. I remember blowing dirt in my dads driveway.
            Sucks if you are standing there.

I can make less than half CFM work... I think. Click image for larger version

Name:	fan16a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1151753

I have relays and gadgets everywhere. I can even put this on a maxi fuse, not the little ones.. just by the way GMC offers accessory in the engine bay. Easy peasy.

if this proves to be too wimpy, I am still on the old plastic side radiator. It prevails now to the ice cold manual tranny.. I could easily swap to all aluminum, direct fit, if need be.

total cost.. $32.25 and my time.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 28, 2017, 05:00 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• fan conversion part 2

I changed my mind.
              keeping the factory fan.

I learned the screamer in the cold random, is "ground up" (maine loses 60 hertz into random attacks on steel objects)
              the clutch fan saves it by demanding wind.. fake heat is the hertz of big juice form an external source.

I even keep a direct fan on my 1.8 subaru for that reason.

heading south.. about new york / new jersey.. that line all the way across usa...
              I'd go electric for sure.

thinking of other mods.

there is none as of now.
              I was going to go all metal radiator for extreme road twisting ,as the plastic side tanks can lose a seat temporarily in the seals..
              energy suspension cab mounts has it quite content.
              going to leave that alone too.

Still thinking...

high flow cat is still a good choice.. and then again iridium spark plugs stopped a nasty local monster. Cat is doing just fine now.

I guess I'll go on as a maytag repair man of my gmc for a time.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• like a dream!

found a good deal.
                Won't be long, at this pace... finding the giants of the 96-99 generation in my poverty realm. Click image for larger version

Name:	00101_84QBAtz86p_1200x900.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1152367

nv4500, 4x4, k3500..
                6.5 diesel.
                $4500.. recent sticker.

just what I keep an eye for.

Meanwhile, I am loving what i got. Tried some 4x4 mode today,unplanned. A lot off the highway looked like a spot to to take a break. On top of some winter snow with an april sun layer on top.
                sliding and breaking through a shallow soft spots to the mud that will come.
                very clean.

New earth grounds in place... what a great spot to make changes just by driving on it.
                I changed a butt ton of amperes. Way down.. at least 60 nominal.

Virgin clean snow in the april sun.
                Even the cat starts smelling good.

I did notice in the never ending breeze today, this truck acts like one more than it ever has. Doesn't respond to sideways wind much. i simply compare it to other vehicles getting pounced around out there on the highway. Not sure what made a tank out of it in the past months.
                I set some camber last year... but the iridium plugs sure seem like the invisible physics winner.
                my old plugs had a big gap, beyond factory.. I only guess the engine bay was heat soaking, sucking on all wind from all directions. Very content now.

with that said, looking back at lights on today.. parking lights up front are so dim, I can not see that they are on,until the samsung extra bright 194 (heatsinked) in the corners reveals it.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1157brt.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	1152370

so, I am going for the "10 times brighter" than what I've got..all four of them.
                The only review I read for 1022 being sold was recent. A guy did this for his honda accord. That is a tiny blinker.
                Not as troubled as the old BOP opaque lenses this gmc has (for some odd reason - it is the only one I have ever seen with it. I assume a special edition gmc ). So I simply went ahead to save 10% more and use up my 1.42 in ebay bucks.

blinkers should be fixed.

so parking will be bright, and the 194 corners. I won't need to keep parking lights on in the day to show bright blinkers anymore.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 2, 2017, 07:27 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• more LED lessons.

got the new lights in, brightest I have ever seen coming through those old opaque lenses. I don't mean just my truck..any truck with these same lenses. always hurting for brightness.

quick summary..

#1 generation (dating pre 2007), #2 generation is 2007. that is the top bulb in photo. they used the least energy..and the brightness was very dim, I'd call them illegal int he wrong spot. I could not see them in the daylight.

so, swapped them out for the 4th version.
                  I found they are 8 watts fully lit..
                  this means 4 or 5 watts a piece for parking. 20watts nominal runtime.
                  factory was 30watts per pussing bleeding light bulb. (15x4) 60 watts nominal runtime.
                  the new bulbs are 150 lumen brighter than the orignal amber.

living the evolution of these.

Name:	oldled.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1153058

my old bulb was the top one.
                  this truck has four going across the front..those old crossbleeding 1157.
                  LED is miraculous.

factory hot bulb is 400 lumen. 30watts a piece.
                  the new 5630 is 550 lumen, and I could only decipher through mili-amps.. but it is still 3+ times less power used than factory.
                  The ones I just swapped used 8 times less..lumen was way way down, like 120.
                  so new stuff, it is noticable on the switch, but no where near factory roasters at all.
                  easy going.

smartest non-helped LED yet. Just plug them in...and they look genuine amber, not the pale yellow I had in it.
                  Still bleeding down for hazards on, dash lights off.. it grabs a few of them by dash indicator lights blinking. This shows it certainly uses more power.
                  it may bleed down,might not..no biggie. Small thing to notice.
                  It is impressive for what they give...3 times less than factory power suck...and much noticably brighter.

this time of year is also a surge on my vehicles, I keep my nostrils clear to get some odors of any potential spring moisture/warmth problems.

Truck is aced. no problems at all.

Now the four parking up front, all fixed. Bright any time of day.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 7, 2017, 02:03 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• idiot!

food run. Lights are bright, in the night, deep in the heart of texas.
                    Those new LED, seriously, they can reel in 40 years of GMC and fix them for 19.99.

So I am backing up to my spot at sam's club.
                    A door swings wide open from the car parked diagonal in a handicap spot. I have great humility for this, think nothing of it.

my truck is 6 feet away mind you, an iron v8 that close rumbles the tin can they were in for sure... peircing LED backup lights, a whining noise form a straight cut reverse in a 12000 pound capable manual, needing a shot of gas to engage...

I figured she was blind and deaf, and most likely a mute.. So I waited.
                    just sat there as I am in an 18 foot truck taking up an entire lane of sam's c lub.
                    "Idiot." she says. A pirates male voice coming from a woman. I know extinct mainer when I encounter it... I say nothing.

Happy Day extinct pirates. No endangered list for you.

I am currently digging into my giant sam's club cinnamon bun.. all 4 pounds of one piece beautyness.
                    there is more female in this sweet tasting, sweet odor, soft textured cake than the lady who called me an idiot.

anyway, like all the LED I declare a final version..here is the ebay link.

they are at 1032 sold as of this post.

Now it is just replace as needed. the new 1157 is a big win. I can keep the exact appearance of 1996 opaque (hardly found today).. and pass every inspection.

8 watts versus 30+...and no bleed ever, near waterproof, and cooler. I call them healthier as well, but I have a tungsten attack only Area 51 engineers could explain.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 7, 2017, 08:57 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• banned fanned car.
                      interesting banned f1 car.
                      it won by 34 seconds... its only race.

I recently decided I did not want to go to electric fans.
                      basically long hills, and days, and traffic jams.

the clutch fan is smart.
                      It is beyond count..
                      I stood in front of many airplanes of the airforce as they wound up.. from fighters, to cargo, to tankers, and even turbo props.
                      I was on the tarmac when a c5 decided to blow one of its engines into pieces.

we create energy, and try to keep it in lke a squirrel keeps nuts.
                      exhaust is only one energy to rid of.

the very casing of the fire needs to get aired.

the fan on the motor, it is more than a drag. In fact it is an oxymoron to think otherwise.
                      it does nothing but xcreate power.

my dad has a backwards mechanic head.. he has complained of the big fan on his rigs kicking in.
                      I know better, been at throttle myself.

you know the fine line down the middle, it always has a backwards. Rare, like lightning. Need to have an answer for both.

great vid by photonic induction.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 9, 2017, 05:10 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• air conditioning!

still snow on the ground, who cares.

The warm sun had me curious. First time in 180 days to see 60s.
                        I checked pressure, shows ten.. I know better. Needed a kick in the pants.
                        Gave a 2 second shot of the genuine 134a... kicked on. Held 45-50...shuts off.
                        Gave it some more... then determined it is polluted. Pressure did good for the long cold spells. Aluminum is effeminate and needs the weird fairy tale it came from to stay nice.

it never does.

Name:	can tap.jpg
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	1153425

Will give it just the real gas this time. the only thing my kit was missing was the can tap.
                        this may have led to why the a/c charge did not stay perfect. I refilled in a thunderstorm,very humid. I had to unplug while it was under vacuum losing some of the vacuum in the process...and then gave it the cans. This tap will allow me to let it rip right in, no leakers...sucking at 30 inches of vacuum.

With my own vac pump and A/C gadgets.. looking forward to it. I learned from my dad's rigs how unfriendly a/c is. Brand new or old, they all do the same wimpy things after just 1 maine winter.
                        I knew to get the pump.. I'd be using it every year.

A day like today gets a creak out of some of the cab mounts, body changing to the length of the rails still in the cold.
                        the energy suspension mounts, seriously.. it is right on the money. They can do anything this truck does.

looking great under there. I love the body on frame for finding splashes of last years summer chores attempting to make it look beautiful, still in place.
                        Very rewarding.

found some armor all, some cleaner with lysol.
                        interior is in great shape. one crack in a plastic side pocket in the back.. have to wiggle it around to find.

the backseat smelled like my brother, the alcoholic (he is that bad). Very vinegar. The lysol wins..
                        I keep a blanket in case i find dead bodies on the side of the road, had his spot covered for about a year.
                        What a nasty habit... the alcohol. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04069w.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	965.6 KB
ID:	1153417

here is those new led in the bright daylight. Very difficult lenses. This is working, I already had to use blinkers in the sun. Nobody is in a stupor wondering where I am going. clearly visible.

there is a bleed over into dash, blinkers on.. have to live with it... playing with milli-amps.
                        Dropped blower fuse down to 40 as well. Factory calls for 50. I put in the ball bearing version of the blower when I first got this, very slippery. I am sure they are thinking suburban sized circuits anyway. I don't need that much.

Dropped lights to a fancy 30A breaker/self-reset version. All metal. Lights call for 50 from factory.
                        Hardly need a 30, never mind a 50.

so this makes total amp drops with fuses...
                        80A.
                        that is funny.
                        it is still using less than the called for fuses by a long shot. I could drop even more...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 10, 2017, 01:01 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the new 1157 led

Name:	ledcomapre.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1153463

guess i got some bad bulbs.
                          this problem blinking in other locations besides just the bulbs and indicators...
                          it often narrows down to bulb. Of course that makes sense, it started doing it after i installed them.
                          back to the drawing board.

I stay open to the experimental realm anyway.

edit:
                          the new bulbs were indeed bad.

the fix was two of the original orange from a subaru (lowest watt 1157 I have) and two of the dim led that work perfectly. Between those two using next to nothing and the original ricer brights..
                          it did something interesting.

it looks like an arrow working its way to the corners.. as led is faster than incandescent. GMC flips the corner on when the others are off.
                          turned out to be clever.

..and there is no load on the switch. Still a big amp drop over original.
                          Good setup. Sticking with it.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 10, 2017, 05:32 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the oak tree

went for a ride to the pickup store..
                            they have aftermarket wheels and lights etc.

figured I'd try the LED 1157 they had.
                            not much better. The roasters of old had to go however..

[rant]
                            So I paid too much for the led that will work good enough in the sun. Kept the inboard parking the dimmer LED which gave no problems at all.
                            so its half fixed to perfect.
                            there is an oddity with hazards on, lights off. the door buzzer goes off in intervals , the radio blinks and so does the dash.
                            Asshole LED can do that for you..

To tell me those lights don't have a dyslexic retard shipping to the world is not going to change my mind.

there is good LED and bad. I have four good ones..but they are too dim. The 1157 is very confusing for X-heads and dyslexia for reasons only a doctor could understand

[/rant]

Name:	DSC04074w.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	951.9 KB
ID:	1153599

anyway, the most I can do for the LED parking up front. Going to leave it alone. I will not be putting 30 watts a piece x6 ever again.
                            went to a place I used to go nearly every day.. brewer maine.
                            the oak tree looks smaller for being a few years older.

I love driving through the city. Out here in the woods, eyesight changes lenses to long distance.
                            The city seems even smaller when it is time to go there.
                            just rowing gears from intersections and red lights reminds me I am not in the midget mobile of death anymore.

The veteran license plate has me in an older in uniform alert status..staying cool.
                            Awaiting a/c tap gadget and the genuine dupont fluid... wind it up for summer.
                            the welds stayed faultless, even the crappy paint I slapped on in some spots.
                            inspired to clean it up some more and give it some good stuff.

winter here is nothing shy of a 7 month long baja. I am impressed with this truck.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 11, 2017, 11:28 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• fixed LED

beyond electronic relay.. I learned this truck may benefit from a load resistor.

Nonsense. They can build the LED right instead.

the problem is basically a bleed over, loop back through ground to dash and radio. Not full bright, but there.
                              I bent up the sockets to original upper ground/side ground, bottom contacts... the 1157 has been a nightmare since the midgets invented it.

I will live with the bleed.
                              I paid way too much for this 1157 venture.. but I do have a subaru that can mix amber and red to make purple...or whatever.

not a loss by any means. they are cool,low power..and now bright.

will wait for next generation of midget invention on the 1157.

I have all of them: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04104w.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	909.5 KB
ID:	1153633

1 thru 5 generation.
                              left to right 5 to 1...missing the fourth one, those are in use.
                              that one that looks like pc bulbs from the 80s? that is exactly what it is.

imagine if they started shipping them out back then?
                              couple billion gallons in fuel to a tree hugger.

I am using the two bottom left, and the 2 new ones I got today.. which aren't the latest,but newer 4th gen.
                              plenty bright, and actually orange.. looking factory.

I have some tricks if any bleed over happens, so it is stoppable just by moving dimmer switch etc.
                              very workable.
                              Very big load off this gmc.. many years of this asshole setup had its way, all the way to fires. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04105w.jpg
Size:	485.7 KB
ID:	1153743

I took these oracle brand back out. This is that 4th generation stuff...or something.
                              they work nice but...
                              I went and put all four from the ebay sale back in..those are the best ones. The oem parking lights do something damn big. Very powerful. It may even be the ballast like old dodges had. This being a 1996+..it does not need that game.
                              If I change amps dramatically I can get a one time grey puff out of exhaust in first run with new setups.

I'd swear it even changes pistons.

Going with the flow, it is very smart. No need to think of short circuits or popping ends to something or others. Very low power use..while being brighter.
                              looks sharp, focused.. and the secret of hardly using anything in comparison to its origin.

5-8 times less.

some joke of stickers adding horsepower. I'll joke of 4 watts adding horsepower.

It's got an LED muffler bearing...just listen to that crazy sound.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 12, 2017, 10:12 AM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• air con stuff

I did some quick figuring about the a/c I repaired myself. The pump was new.. must have machinist fluid leftover. Pressure remained impressive for the freakish cold we got (a/c does not sustain here, unless a house version, or a several pound system like a peterbilt or tractor trailer gets)

Name:	ac_stuff.JPG
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1153872

I knew to get the vac pump, gauges, last year.
                                I was missing the tap to get it done exactly the eric the car guy way (his version of refill is legit)

Name:	DSC04119w.jpg
Size:	995.0 KB
ID:	1153873

I hardly need lube, got much more than a few drops in on first install.(my other mistake)
                                this pull should last even longer, as it has had time to revive old and seat the new.
                                the fact that it still starts up with a quick jumper of a couple of ounces is very good.

this truck responded the best to the real dupont.
                                I know I need no more additives... that is the other killer of a/c.

with the tap, I can do it the professional way,losing no vacuum for the swap from pump to can. That was my other mistake. I had to lose some vacuum to gain a can swap to fill.

It still worked cold for 7 months or so.. and then I did not need it, maine simply goes frigid.
                                Another maine thing..
                                I am sure aluminum reverses the condensation at a molecular level...crap inside piping, not just outside...somewhere through its freak winter season of ups and downs.

So, if it is a yearly routine, this 2 pound system is 20 bucks to fill the right way.
                                I run the vac pump on a 63cc generator to boot. No electric bill.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 13, 2017, 09:49 AM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X