Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air conditioning!

Today was the day.
    My only disappointment last year was on a day like today.
    I had to walk away from my hot black truck, delay chores til sundown.

88F, fresh paved road. Bright sun.
    Cabin at 121 degrees..before starting.

Rolled down windows to let the oven out and started up the air conditioner.
    Does not seem like much on a day like today to feel that get going.

I get going down the road, it is indeed working cold. Temps dropping slowly on the center of dash mounted thermistor.
    A turning point knowing this was survivable, a dryness and cooler air started to be felt.. even driving is easier, attention span greater.
    Still too warm for me, I went a few more miles... no destination, just cooling cab off, testing.

I finally make it back to my place, center dash is at 99F...but feel inside is cool. All too possible to go anywhere.
    Looking at odometer,

It was the longest 7 miles of my entire life.
    I open the door to a heat blast that could knock some people over.

Needless to say, a normal out and about ride, going for the chores of needs...this will even get a turn down a notch after 20 miles or so.
    I also noticed, just stopping in the shade can conquer right away if I have to.
    This has turned out to be one nice truck.

An odd note, I picked a random spot to turn around, a desolate spot halfway to milo on the brand new black hot pavement.
    I hear this screeching like a saw mill , but not sure...
    I finally get a look at this machine on the tracks just inside the woods with a bigass tree shredder within 20 feet of the truck.
    A bonus to a/c..
    keeps the monster noises out.

I must declare this the hottest cabin in a vehicle I have ever driven. My 1984 monte carlo SS was a close second.
    ..and my greatest win for DIY a/c repair.
    The added heat is moving molecular alignments to some serious welds... not many have to go through with that, I was more than willing..still am.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 15, 2016, 11:39 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• cab corner

I waited until I knew nothing was going to explode to mig weld heat. I started with rockers last year..sweating the pipe kinda thing.
      I did not trust it last year, wanted to wait for safe reasons.
      I buttoned it up more today, full stainless.. still staying sloppy in certain areas.

I always wanted to do full stainless in these spots. they die in 5 year cycles locally:
      • a rocker panel (subaru, now this gmc)
      • quarters, or corners

Fulfilling a dream. A boring dream, but it is mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	cabcorner1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	707.2 KB
ID:	1114333
      This outside edge not all that visible.. folds to the inside below. all one piece. This allowed less bullshit for the cab corner, still malleable but dropping, to a droop, to square right up like a straight edge the stainless steel was bent to be.

This is as amazing as the rockers for cab silence. Even the exhaust note is different. Static pressure in these tunnels is a juice keeper, putting it into the right places. This truck is as dramatic as the 64.5 inch subaru rocker.. only the truck is 6 feet instead. Click image for larger version

Name:	cabcorner2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	489.0 KB
ID:	1114334

I also got a very common bed panel bolt with the rods a stainless sandwich. Both sides for this one are done like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	bed1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	1114335

believe it or not, still on factory pegs and bolts.

Will do a little more next month, or in coming weeks..will see how things timewise happen.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 16, 2016, 08:47 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• purple in the radar

I can count this on one hand for my region.

I live at the blue dot. Click image for larger version

Name:	weatherprupple.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1114516
        yes. the red is a tornado warning.

I got some stone guard, self etch primer, hardener for my bondo for welds (hairy)..and chepa gloss black.

Gonna have to wait.
        ahead of these storms, as the south knows... the stink sometimes, humidity.
        God catches these pigs and reigns down with thunder in lightning.

Worth the wait.
        It is time's like this where a/c seems to be life and death. I stepped out of the truck when I got home and knew this one is aced.
        Would not know that humid high 80s monster was right outside the windows.

The rear cab corner sure is a big one. I should have known...
        A 2 foot seam way down low, all connected to a 6 foot over all tunnel.
        Very nice ride to stay healthy now.

Will reveal my hillbilly finale for the bumpy appearance given by factory in those spots...
        need to be sure on weather first.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 18, 2016, 11:05 AM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• magical mystery chore
          will have photos in a few minutes.

Got a quick swipe of fiber filler in, ground it down.. lower halves of these do not go beautiful, attempting tecture.
          stone guard comes next, and if its dull a quick pass with gloss black.
          I make a round about the truck with self etching. lower half stuff only.. I want to apply some stone guard.
          the left rear rocker stays like new, but looks chalky, oxidized.

I hit it with primer, and before my eyes a chrome color starts coming back through the duplicolor etch paint, and the metal roof on the barn next door starts screming a high pitched frequency.

That is the same barn hit by lightning and brought the fire department.

A saying I had joked of..
          God's quench is the weld.

You may find chrome in the cab corners, and dashboard in the tires..
          but hey.
          whatever the big guy wants. Click image for larger version

Name:	cornerrght.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	671.3 KB
ID:	1114656

The welds are obvious from here, but not going to overthink it. Click image for larger version

Name:	corberright2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	568.6 KB
ID:	1114657

This photo also shows an error that showed up in these years random. the right side bed does not align...down bottom. I helped as best I could with giant pliers, but this is indeed a truck with THAT error. Does not bother me none. Click image for larger version

Name:	cornerleft.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	701.5 KB
ID:	1114658

here is left side, this was hideous with chalky oxide black. Not sure what heppened there. Got it to match the rest anyway.

I guess i did make the right choice for off the shelf stuff to resemble previous work.
          Stone guard seems to be the exact match.. and added the cheap gloss paint after a "10 minute flash time"

Self conscious of my terrible body final workings, I look up to a 70 something with a 90 something 6 foot bed on an 8 foot rails, with ahome made box inbetween making up the distance.

I was glad to see that. I feel better about my own project.

away it goes. Not perfect, but mine. Cost was priceless weld, free stainless 304, and 35 bucks for the paint stuff.

A start up and idle, hood up..verifying no channels hung onto vapors. A ride down the road, air conditining is vividly defined. I am now thinking a flapper valve that works with hills and high speeds is in a set pace to know it is a real cabin now. That being stable must be the robust HVAC now.

within 5 seconds, you know the a/c is on. I will clean this up like last year. A vacuum cleaner run off a generator, and some good odorizings. That is one thing about this truck I liked from day one. It smells like a new truck... can't explain it.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 19, 2016, 03:21 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• sorry, can't tow that

This was a memory revived from years ago..
            why people keep their half tons instead.

my dad calls up , wanted me to haul a skid steer and a 2 yard dump, after that.. several runs.
            I said call and ask if its a 2 inch ball (I knew it wasn't) and it wasn't.

Got out of that day of busting a gmc backbone.

I'd rather watch an old v8 mack anyway.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 20, 2016, 10:24 AM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 89F
              Click image for larger version

Name:	trckjul16.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	925.4 KB
ID:	1115391

This is about as hot it gets here...and wind is blowing.
              humid.
              did some errands, the a/c is a miracle.
              About 15 miles in from a cold start and 118F cabin, it was 1 degree colder than the air.
              down to 86 in the dash, less than that in the air of cabin.
              I knew to look once it went lower than outside..that turning point is priceless. As if the a/c in some ways becomes its own nature pump.
              This turning point is something I was waiting for..

checks cabin panels, roof will be looking heavy.

Nice truck.
              The system is big enough, when I go to shut truck off, I shut off a/c first and idle for some seconds, and wait before shutdown. Else you'll hear the whistle of the little screen tube at condensor for a whole minute.
              Very large condensor.

Knowing how this stuff works is half the battle.

The stifling hot black truck is well on its way to anything maine has got.
              ..it is looking good too. It is at the point where little dents are skipped over, given the size of the overall thing.

Going south with it, I would do something with the roof, maybe some of the modern sound deadener, insulation.
              that would be the icing on the cake.

it will catch up in any shade if over 100, as of now, then keeps it cold. Steel is like that.

my nternet dwelling and lurking has one reason.. disabled veteran with no DoD bridge.
              Deciphering mystery on my own,
              the chrome bolt story in my subaru and my truck, and recently that chrome that came back through the self etch primer with my finger at the trigger of the can.

my fingers is part of it. All the weird episodes, I have concluded that part too.. something about my finger tips is in the mix.

I am not scared or crazy to analyze being some type of lit up chromium nuclear...an ionized weirdo, gentle games to live with.
              The stainless plate was in my foot on my last fight, the one where electricity went from head to toe and locked my jaw.
              The plane sure fed me something.

Anyway, the truck is a blessing, if you have weird errors about yourself. Ionizing energy included.
              There is a way to live.

A/C added... that is a life saver for some.

one big scratch left, and the tire cross member is so overdone.. the 2 connections I will add to (of the 8) can wait. One step away from beyond 5000 pound bumper limit. Will show that when it is done. Still within half ton rules, I simply have the common 4000 pound bumper...can step it up some.
              The last welds and time, a couple of weeks normally. I leave a grey water in the shower, as if on a timer. That is part of the monster I fight within myself. A taste of epoxy emerges first, I think of aircraft floors, and it is always just before awakening in the morning. A dream, must be a messenger without words to say "here it is again." My arms are numb to my elbows, and I fight a wheeze into the shower.

Welding stops this for a time. I love welding, it is my medicine. Anything done with my hands, bothers no one else. The weld is the wall keeping unhealthy from healthy...and a chance to outlast ourselves.
              That always feels good to me.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 24, 2016, 08:18 AM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• tire crossmember

Name:	tcross.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	584.7 KB
ID:	1115486

finished this off today, a few minutes of my time.
                pictures are terrible, not enough light. Click image for larger version

Name:	tcross2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	1115487

it is quite ugly anyway.
                All 12 connections in place.
                Any lamination, which is the ugliest part, is up and over .25 inch at solid seams.
                that is headed to dump truck/tractor trailer territory.

exhaust is even bigger for unknown reasons. This must be a rocket science GM truck piece to get resembling back to factory.

the smell of death emerged on one of the welds..
                this concludes the errors aside from time.
                bowels, electric, spare tire chemistry, receiver hitch, and overloaded..
                for me to fix in its 20th year.
                the strength number is unknown, beyond factory by a long shot. This is all steel now, not the flexible weirdo gm made it in the beginning.

there is one more trick, may get to it. It involves the crossmember and some angle iron to bumper. Weight dispersion in reverse, allowing for a slight bump up. Not 3/4 ton, but better than half ton.
                500 tongue, 5000 overall.
                Cross sills on the underside of bed are directly related of course, and that repair story is written in this thread someplace.

my dad gets going with pressure washer, loves washing the trucks in the yard.
                I look back at what he did in 5 minutes to something called macguires wax and wash all in one.

This truck must have been a head turner in its day.
                Still glossed today.

Shoulda got a picture, as the cab corners are all color matched. the lower half of truck is very much complete.

edit:
                the bigger exhaust mystery is deciphered.
                This truck has one plug in to disconnect all the tail section.
                4 wires on one, and a couple more elsewhere as a secondary feed to license lights..
                While it was unplugged I taped over a double layer, insulating. Maybe 18 inches of it. The rest was robustly protected already.
                That chore added power to the motor.

this truck is long enough where 12volts can get lost. A big trailer can be tricky if it is all not just right.
                This one steps up to the job, as mentioned, one of my awes of this first year injection is the 4 wire alternator that changes to load...not just a caveman sized battery.

I saw something very cool on the way home, I had cruise at 82, and spotted a red front end of the 99-2002 gmc with the logo climbing up in the mirror, looked like it was leaning a little.

I look over to mud from front to back, top to bottom, discolored flaky steel wheels with tires rotating smooth as glass on the only clean spot... the tread hitting the road was carbon black clean. A dented solid steel roof rack, and tools etc in the back with no concern for even weight dispersion.

At a casual 90 something miles an hour...off onto the horizon on this hot afternoon.
                it is sights like this that kept me inspired even in the worst of times locally.

THAT was a nice truck.
                Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 24, 2016, 06:44 PM.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• crossmember final thoughts

Name:	backshot.jpg
Size:	741.1 KB
ID:	1115582

the funky looking piece claimed to be a spare tire crossmember does much more.
                  I humored it for the alien shape... and GM math.

Name:	wimpy rail monster.jpg
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	1115584

This one section threatened junk yard. How to get a $7k truck for 2500.
                  been a year already for this one.

The first weld I attacked with last year, and the reason the fresh drivetrain and panels sold for cheap. Even all the electronics works on this '96. I am glad to take it in. This was first weld, it cracked and left a 16th gap twice (down low) before I decided on surrounding it with a skeleton frame, lamination. That skeleton was the crossmember. In a way, the rails you see is less than half the overall structure on the old wimpy tail c-rails. It is tricky if you do not like geometry, or are retarded.

They make unibodies for these challenges.

on the way home after all 12 connections, I see a sign "grooved pavement". Remembering these trucks thrashed like a rag doll in the old days following the grooves instead of itself. this truck tanked through straight ahead. Getting to the I-395 bridge in bangor/brewer there was a little "bump" sign, and I sailed over it at 65mph before realizing "yep. that was bump..and a half." Front end came way up and pouncing back down, my concern was the fresh connections of the monster I made underneath.

Checked it over today, and it is simply as I said. A brick. Dukes of hazzard over the penobscot.
                  I had seen these gone brick when I was a kid, the frames were worse than this 96. More cussing than welding, but some won.Tire crossmember always a mystery. I am glad I kept going with it, instead of a hack job pipe through the rails (another common fix is to remove the member entirely and go with a pipe)

My dad is a trucker as mentioned, he is heck bent on finding the most miraculous paint for frames he can find. He tells me yesterday he'll have leftovers, and I'll finish the truck off with that after banging the last of exfoliations off.

Another ode to welding and a plan. Even when it looks like its from outer space and reasoning difficult...
                  another win.

This can evolve to 2000 pound springs etc, get more towards 3/4 ton... and someone may do that some day. I am keeping it at the max weight for average cars (5000) with a light trailer if need be...and a boat with inboard v8, 20 something footer. I want no more than that. Even today's campers are at 3500 pounds lightweight modern..and 20 something feet.

proud of my wimpy half ton. Don't need to stay as sport only, or just to look at.. it can get to work.

Name:	left cab mount - floor.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	644.9 KB
ID:	1115585

for future, I have stainless reserved for the driver floor skins. If you ever get one of these trucks,You will notice the floors, they are soft and malleable to leave cab mounts and real structure alone. 20ga stainless is perfect.
                  I liked that about this one, as they know floors fail, and the engineers gave it an answer. Just fail the floor, not the whole truck. Could not get any smarter...
                  until making it stainless.

anyway, that is where this one stands. Curiosity exists, even at my aging self.. the .25 mile time, or how much it can tow. I'll stay in the games of rules instead. A truck to be a truck...with extras.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 25, 2016, 11:22 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• the mask

4/13/2010.
                    that is when I ordered this one. Click image for larger version

Name:	maskweb1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	718.7 KB
ID:	1115609

about 35-40 pounds of wire have been in the lense.
                    maybe more. Click image for larger version

Name:	maskWeb.jpg
Size:	725.4 KB
ID:	1115610

the ionization goo, it is brown. It proves welding is a nuclear reaction. I saw this on an air force bomber once....
                    I go until the auto-dim starts flickering backwards. shuts off in light, and on when not needed.
                    the theory of blackholes somehow.. a reversal.
                    I take it inside and clean it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	maskweb4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	625.5 KB
ID:	1115611

back to new. Click image for larger version

Name:	maskweb5.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	634.5 KB
ID:	1115612

ready for 50 more pounds of wire.
                    Welding has taught me a lot.
                    A black hole is light we cannot see, like a gmc spare tire crossmember by a french engineer.

These automotive welding jobs, they insult people:
                    • those who paid too damn much in the first place.. for the illusion long ago
                    • the engineers who know it fails, by internet shown examples.
                    • the last owner who had to give up
                    • false opinions by all of the above to get over their own stupidity.

Welding does all of these things... including welding steel. Bonus.

some have given up cars and trucks, thinking they are nuclear.
                    The closest I have encountered is aluminum reacting to a wihte trash bag dumpsite.
                    Add some ATF to that.

This truck has been a pleasure to make fresh again. The front diff did something like an old subaru engine... and needed the super cleaners the same.
                    Other than that, no out of the ordinary chains in runtime or steel decay.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 25, 2016, 03:36 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 1 more crossmember photo

I forgot to add this one. As all chores narrow down to a gusset, that is ambiguous.. that simply means a focus. Branches come from roots. Click image for larger version

Name:	weld 4 break 96.jpg
Size:	703.9 KB
ID:	1115699

The joke in my region for years was calling this the french trucks, becuase of the angles and connection on the tire cross member. All that babble narrowed down to this.

the .25 inch drop inbetween shock mount was a decision I made to smother the loss on top. reforge. That drop point also has a rib..as I made that out of wide angle iron, I cut one edge off liking the rib for this trucks pleasure.
                      The first sign of extreme fail was right there as well. It acts as a marker to explain in journals like this one.
                      I then waited for some days to find where yellow paint would go missing...
                      Top right photo was my first guess, and that is exactly where it squared up.. paint went missing. (the bright paint will lose to shape change)
                      the right edge of photo is also where laminate stops. It is more than 30 inches from end of frame at bumper to the edge of photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	wimpy rail monster.jpg
Size:	648.1 KB
ID:	1115700

..and this is the other side of the shock mount ( this photo is in previous posts as well). The rivets up top, little bumps is where it is factory hook up. You can almost see the rib of angle iron edge down low here as well.

That loss went all the way to the up and down part of frame rail. Next step was snapping the rail like a candy cane.
                      Got it in plenty of time.
                      The dark spot below plate, looking rusty now (my favorite quench), I welded so hot you could see the draper point from the other side. Turning purple on the way to cool down, very slow...I wanted the full 70kpsi minimum and new steel melted in, beyond mig wire. That is a spot no drill bit from harbor freight is going to get through.

So, this sums up the now 3 ton half ton.
                      It really is fun to me, an AWD unibody is way more challenging.

summary of steel:
                      60 pounds with cross sills included, about 2.25 pounds of mig wire.
                      A full season to analyze after first welds, was a big help...and a good habit.

The biggest tip for these, lose all fear of the chore.
                      Slow cool the weld, warm day, and being at earth average at night for some days and weeks is a bonus (near 60F). the cathode/anode games do not stop as soon as a 12v battery is hooked up, so the warm weather and the truck itself becomes its own repair man as a finale.

I also keep mig welder ground hooked up for 30min or so, after done, with welder turned off.

I can paint this now...
                      Something I always wanted to do, based on a conversation way over my head.. the 60 pounds of steel added will show up as a couple hundred pounds on the scale. It has to do with leverage of gravity on the four points we call tires. The bigger the number beyond static weight of steel added, the tighter the weld density. You can determine bad job from good one this way as well.

The heavier the better.

I'll see if my dad can get me in at the truck stop scale. See where the exact weight is.
                      Simple to say 5000 pounds.
                      Never done with steel tinkering, will add photos as I go along. am thinking of a unique connect beyond what I have done already, for the gas strap, and factory lower rivet there. Simple things. the monster is killed anyway.

there is a fear of steel, no one to blame.. especially if the earth shakes below your feet. Steel only makes noise when we demand it too. If you jump to this, you're jumping at yourself.

this song is stuck in my head.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 26, 2016, 10:09 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• diff cover
                        Underneath the truck, there is dabbles in the driveway.. I knew it was the diff cover.

I am under there taking photos and here this little gurgling sound from my right ear, I look over at the diff to see it burrowed a hole through just by years and fluid splash.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1115782

Wanting plain steel, and thick.. I found this one on ebay with 10 year waranty and gasket.

Name:	diffcover.jpg
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1115783

32 bucks, free shipping.

They are almost gone! hurry!
                        Will get some shots of whatever non-slip diff that is in this truck when cover is removed. It seems way to gentle to be detroit. Given how serious an owner got with this, I would not be surprised to find an eaton clutch.

That was something to notice after the latest welds. The grumble of the diff at 40mph is nearly gone.
                        Full throttle romps getting on highway is a dead shot center up and go.
                        1 wheel drive on the framing as it was would have killed me as it veered off to a direction. There is something smart going in the back end.
                        Will see what the trick is they got going in there. The mechanic I bought from said diff work was recently done. Talked no further of it.

Burrowing through could also find steel shredding, I hope I don't. I did climb up and over 120mph..but at 32 inch tire diameter, it is having an easy life back there. I will assume it is a cheaper open diff simply staying tight... tight spiders. Fluid is clean, no burns. Very curious now... will get to it when it arrives.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 26, 2016, 09:17 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• hot roof

Name:	hot1.JPG
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1115853

Thinking of the 24 hours of almost summer..
                          this is todays weather, and it is not nearly as warm as previous days with no announcement. Real precision for central maine and NWS.

this truck had a gentle dent in the roof. It was bugging me as it clearly appeared from the inside someone could just set a new memory at the soft crease and regain the egg.

So I did that today, pry bar and crow bar. Gently finding sweet spots until dent stayed out. Good hot roof to help along. I added some stuff from my subaru that kept panels from interior and acted as insulation, a soft spacer. Exactly its purpose, why not use it. Someone used spray foam looking stuff in the area of the dent. to keep interior rib spacing interior structure, to the roof exterior. This subaru stuff gained a little more spacer, softly. Fire retardant layer of fibrous looking stuff glued on a rubber layer. Will get photos of no dent. That stuff is 30 years old... subaru did something right there.

it is one of those spots you know... real annoying to see a puddle like dent in a roof...on the edge of it. This gmc is very egg like, and that dent really took a stab at it.

So now the biggest eye sore left is what I have done to left bed panel, when I flopped it off the truck last year into a pipe in the ground. That is what I get for needing no helpers and took the bed off myself. On the bed panels, it seems it is respected to see a working truck with imperfections there.

the roof dent.. simply bugged the heck outta me.

did hit 90 on the thermometer, I went for a walk. Took the truck to closed trail. A/C on, and some low rpm blips.. the temps and oil pressure is way different with a charged system. Huge atmosphere change. The engine does not know it is 120F pavement. Really liking their systems go. Being a piece of bacon, I am right at home walking the sahara...but don't sit me in a black gmc cab at 90F outside. Click image for larger version

Name:	roofdentfix.jpg
Size:	615.6 KB
ID:	1115868

Dent gone, and a nature shot.

Name:	image_47536.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	1115866

The dent removal in that spot added $100,000 to the value.

Got to talking with a small group of friends about the truck, I am not accustomed to this after the 18 masochist years of subarus.
                          Got to realizing the value of this one:
                          • the 305 is a rock from 16 to 24mpg. A/C on or not. (I am aware it is metric and 306.. I digress)
                          • 2150 rpm is old school tractor trailer on a modern highway...73mph. The manual transmission has something called "gears."
                          • the tires finally caught up to the build with "S" speed rating and 3450 pound sidewalls at the same time (that is not old school for sure).
                          • lower panels are egged to the point where bottom edges can be left brutally welded, they don't gain a focus being nearly hidden. this means no miracle fillers and goops and turtle wax where dead bodies and rocks hit.
                          • the ease of the engine repairs.
                          • agreed this could be flipped for a double or more. Just one ride by a potential buyer and it is sold.
                          • the sound is a "growl" on its own. (been said more than once - I like it. Muffler I chose was a focus of thought for some time)

I am keeping it... that is what I do.
                          Diff cover is coming early, I know not to paint it. It is a relief for statics once the tough get going. I remember my dads rigs grinding through somewhere after 750k miles. On a rig, the whole axle case has to be swapped. I could guess we have diff covers for savings.He has done that more than once. I am going to get a shot of my claw hammer going through the old one...and a photo of whatever is inside the pumpkin. Must be tight spiders.. no announcement of anything special back there.

At this pace, extras are in my mind. I do not want to challenge offsets, and if one has not noticed..there is NO aftermarket wheels built exactly to GM offsets. Wanting the LT rating to be real is the other reason to just keep finding chevy wheels.
                          The modern eaton slippery clutch diff at $500 is peaking my interest, as well as fattening up the shafts if they are not at the 10 bolt big ones arleady.
                          that is about it. No dual exhausts, no receiver hitch..
                          just keeping it clean.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 28, 2016, 08:33 AM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• house sitting

Did not expect the call to keep a place occupied. I do all the work at the garage I will be at.
                            A whole week I guess.
                            got the diff cover today as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	diffcover1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	1116222

did not expect smothered in black inside and out. that kinda sucks. Hot cover. Maybe I'll scrub it with a wire wheel. Click image for larger version

Name:	diffcover2.jpg
Size:	773.5 KB
ID:	1116223

I am liking the drain/fill hole however. Reminds me to pack my manual tranny hand pump for this. I can fill and drain upside down, sideways, defying logic.

to do list came to mind. I can finish the truck entirely.

stainless the driver floor. Already mapped out, avoiding gas lines etc. Small patches. The errors seem to be hovering in time. Cross sills and rear framing really tugged at the cab.. especially on those pansayss rubber mounts by GM. Stopped in time with what I have done thus far.

tire crossmember, i'll just bang on things. maybe add some stuff to the right to look like the left, and add my hitch gain. Not that the french beam is symmetrical.

hinge the fuel tank access cover, or fender bolt it.

quick self etch paint on certain things.. waiting for the chassis paint my dad will have soon.

oil change, the good stuff. the billet filter will now be in its third or fourth re-use.. that is about a 5 quart jug of synthetic as the oil filter price is deleted each oil change, I gain.
                            only been a year or so. Adds up.
                            I'll get photos of the real v8 shared journal scrub that paper elements hide. The billet captures that stuff perfectly. In this last oil go, I found the il cooler had been barely thumping the reliefs to be used in the first place. The billet revealed it...it forces the oil cooler balance.

Even creeping along, the list is short. I do most of the stuff in summers only.

I'll think of extras as time goes along.
                            Not bad for a year , and summers only... this went my way fast.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 29, 2016, 08:33 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	oldcover1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	1116295 diff cover
                              I admit I may have added to this one's demise. A caveman would rather see a claw hammer as an explanation, so I'll leave it at this. Click image for larger version

Name:	oldcover1.jpg
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	1116294

Name:	oldcover2.jpg
Size:	584.4 KB
ID:	1116299

Name:	opendiff1.jpg
Size:	593.5 KB
ID:	1116298

it is indeed an open diff. Very clean. the guy was good on his word that it was redone.

Name:	newcover.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	1116301

here is new cover installed. Found the vent was clogged too.

I only got here to the garage today.. some security thinks I am hacking my own internet being at a different address. Not easy going..
                              but bangshift and emails...and google. Being on a laptop, the paranoid schizo security ought to be using tpm.
                              morons.

Day 2.. I might be in a boat, in the river...but work on the truck is an idea too.

the diff is topped off with 50% old fluid, some mercury boat motor straight 90 synthetic, and 75w90 synthetic. It did need a retorque first ride out..may need another one.
                              the magnet was spotless.
                              The old cover had something, might be lightning, my welding, or just my nuclear fairy tale.,,maybe all 3. The holes are in the hundreds.. not just rust. Something big happened.
                              new cover is heavier. I used the new fill height that is on the cover.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 29, 2016, 04:17 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• day 2
                                kbs rust seal.. found that in the garage. Boasting at 40 bucks a quart, I mixed up a pint and added some thinner.
                                Wire brush the frame quick, never overthink it...
                                first shot with the paint gun nearly killed me. Like a shockwave of a battle the paint was waiting for.. it even chased iron dust around in the air. Instant attack...not thinking of myself, chem warfare mode took over. the cloud was headed for the street... imagine if that knocked out a line of traffic.
                                that was not just a paint happening. Cleared it out within 20 minutes... went back to a brush I could throw away.
                                hyper ventilating in front of the a/c letting out globs of gelatin thick mucus... I made a beeline for the fridge and grabbed an apple juice.
                                sat in front of the a/c until chem chain was done.

will add photos in a min. Not that frames are beautiful... the kbs stuff does alright.

Name:	baknblak3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	531.7 KB
ID:	1116419

Name:	baknblak2.jpg
Size:	596.3 KB
ID:	1116420

took 3, no real need to babble on this chore.
                                got the nooks and crannies.. outside only. the welded zone was the animal that launched iron black cloud.
                                good name for this truck.

Name:	baknblak.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	1116418

over exposed...and frame is still in the dark. Back in black.

nearly 9 hours later, I can still feel it in my back (my lungs). My dad informs me it was the same paint I redid the trailer I made for him. Same attack.
                                A chemist from that company could aid this disabled veteran to an oxide answer on the attraction to me specifically. I was the only one that got attacked by this paint the last time as well.. it even defied wind to come at me.
                                Monsterish attraction.
                                does it think I am rust or what...
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 30, 2016, 09:29 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X