No announcement yet.

Joe's 71 Dodge Sweptline D100.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C'mon, Randal...you don't see the sheet metal donor parked next to the Dodge?
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
      C'mon, Randal...you don't see the sheet metal donor parked next to the Dodge?
      Not a chance, the metal on that Nissan is so thin...If the truck is 20g, that Nissan is 30g...It's like tissue paper compared to cardboard.....
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

But seriously -
        Here's where my van roof trick comes in. They have stiffening ribs from the factory and are CHEAP at PnP. I'd get the rolled edges too just in case you have to go up on the rocker area or some such. Here's the chance to try fitting the patches nicely as a practice for the Fury. If they don't come out perfectly there's no loss - you can just make 'em OK for the truck. What better place to try your hand at this stuff? Bet it'll come out better than you ever thought it would. Just be sure to cut the old pans back to COMPLETELY firm metal - took me years to get that concept.

Dan

Comment

Van roofs are a good idea. I was eyeing up the mile long, flat hood of a 72 Ford LTD at the U-Pull-it....I think it will cost about 40 bucks....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

When I was 16, we had to drive over a mile of dirt road to get to pavement. Never caused me any problems. And some of those dirt roads were a lot of fun. Better he learns how to control a truck on dirt roads when he's young, than find out the hard way that he doesn't know how when he's older
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              When I was 16, we had to drive over a mile of dirt road to get to pavement. Never caused me any problems. And some of those dirt roads were a lot of fun. Better he learns how to control a truck on dirt roads when he's young, than find out the hard way that he doesn't know how when he's older
              I see your pont...I do....If we lived on a dirt road thats one thing....I dont need him rolling out to east BFE Tucson desert and running the damn thing into a ditch...then I got to go rescue, and fix things and spend money on things I shouldnt have to spend moeny on had he not drove into a ditch....and it isnt like parts for this truck grow on trees.

We have a beater 4X4 we can take out and bomb around the trails if he gets the urge....that one is a liitle easier to find parts for.

I had fun on the dirt roads back home, I almost killed 5 firends in one shot having fun on a dirt road...Call me a helicopter dad, doting parent...

Comment

Those T/A's do just fine on dirt roads. Off road, not so much.

Me and all my friends learned early about driving on dirt roads. Our first cars showed those scars.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I found the transmission leak.....

Boy oh boy did I find the transmission leak.

The pan gasket just moved up to #1 on the list of things to tackle this weekend...

Nothing a big bag of kittly litter can't handle....

Comment

they'll just track ATF all over the driveway...

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

well, wrenching on the truck this weekend is out of the question. There is some sort tropical storm that made its way into the area and it has been soaking us for 2 days now.

Normally not a fan of the rain but in this case it did me a solid. I had to toss something into the cab of the truck to stay dry and when I looked down there was about an inch of water on the floor boards. That would explain the rot there on an otherwise rust free truck

Anyway, a quick inspection showed the water is not coming from the windshield or the cowl but from the roof.

it seems to be getting in around the drip rail and running down the A-pillar onto the floor.

Hopefully it will seal up with some strategically placed welds. I'll snap a photo or two later.

Comment

It needs drain holes. And you need to fix the roof!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          It needs drain holes. And you need to fix the roof!
                          yes sir I do! the rain let up and I looked at it a little closer there is a clip that holds the front drip rail to the side drip rail and it appears as tho that is the primary location of the leak. I will know more once I get the layers of paint and sealant off. I think I have a fix in mind and it will allow me to piddle with some welds that won't be seen....The whole pass side floor is shot...the drivers side might get away with a patch or two...

Comment

Ugliest part of the truck

this is where it is entering. this is either old sealant from a previous repair or factory sealant...

This is where I expected to see water pooling but thankfully there is no evidence of a leak here.

I think we have a winner...there is this "little" crack here but just above this is a clip that holds the two drip rails together. I am going to "modify" this are for now so it doesnt channel water right into the cab by adding a drain hole in both the front and side drip rail...then I will tackle the crack repair.

Comment

Similar thing happened with my 88 Chevy, while it was sitting the weather strip was not properly in place at the top of the door and I have rust in the floor of the driver's side. The running boards are to blame for the rockers and cab corners going.
                              Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                              1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                              1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

I feel your pain here. Both the Impala and Caprice have this problem. The windshield leaked on the Impala since I bought it. The Caprice leaked water from the cowl vent down to the kick panel. Now, it drips from the top of the windshield. This is why the floor pan and carpet were rotted there.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X