Light weight wheels Ohio Mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light weight wheels Ohio Mile

I have a project in the works and was wondering if using some very light weight wheels I have was a good idea for Ohio mile. They are Bogart drag wheels and they are are very light, I would not run them on street. But are great for at the drag strip. Are front runners a good idea or should I be looking at wider fronts than a drag car?

I'd check with Keith or Joe on the wheels. I know some aftermarket wheels are OK and some are NOT. I never know exactly what they look for. (I run steelies with the centers welded in.) The rule book seems a bit fuzzy to me but that might just be me. It says something about wheels manufactured for racing being OK and it also talks about welding in reinforcement in some situations.

As far as front runners - I know some guys run them, especially on the salt. Will they do what you want done? - that's another story. And do you know the speed rating? I try to run W, Y, or Z rating even though I don't go that fast.

Dan

Comment

I will let Joe & Keith or other racers from your venue be the final say......

But ask yourself a couple simple questions.
      1) how heavy is my car, especially in front.
      2) I wonder how those wheels will do if I spin a 200mph?

Sometimes the answers are easy, like if it's a light car that only goes 125. Other times, well, you get the point. Good Luck!
      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Thanks guys, going to be a lot of load may rob wheels off another car to start with.

Comment

We do not have rules to exclude them but you would be wise not to run them. Remember that if you get it sideways and they bend, they dig in and you flip. What is the total weight of the car?
          Last edited by Joe Timney.; October 1, 2014, 03:01 PM.
          Joe Timney
          President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
          Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

I would guess 3,700lbs, I am know thinking steel wheels welded 16x7 rear with a 255 Drag radial. Any thoughts on wheels and tires is very helpful

Comment

I like the idea of 16 rear wheels, less sidewall to move around in the lights. Do not lower tire pressure...two people have found out the expensive way that it doesn't help. I think most racers are in the 35 pound range. I like steel rims, strong & less expensive. We use Wheel Smith for all of our customer cars.
              Joe Timney
              President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
              Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

Thank you, sure there will be more questions

Comment

Working...
                X