Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The puzzling Omega class

This is one class I don't quite get. Per the rules summary here:

So, there's this rule: "Omega – engines that use a thermodyamic cycle other than Otto". But most of the other things I can think of are already taken:

Turbine cars are classed T1 through T3.

Diesels have D classes.

And there's S and E classes for steam and electric.

So, does the Omega belong before any steam, electric, or Diesel sort of race car? Or is that for truly weird stuff like Stirling engines?

Rocket?
    Prop driven?
    Sail?
    Rubber band?
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; August 5, 2014, 11:55 AM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Flux capacitor** . . . of course there would be the problem of disappearing before the timing traps . . .

---------------------------
      **Joke-killing purists will, of course, note that BRUAB's favorite time machine required an ordinary Otto-cycle PVR V6 to accelerate to 88 m.p.h. .. . or a steam pusher back in A.D. 1885 . . . .

Maybe Smokey Yunick's infamous Hot Vapor Cycle engine would be Omega-class.

Or would an Atkinson or Miller-cycle mill be insufficiently similar to an Otto-cycle as to be Omega-class eligible?

Comment

First of all, LSR tries to be inclusive and let everything run if possible. I'm guessing someone wanted to run steam or some such and petitioned for a class. (There's a danger in this - if you're the petitioner you're likely to get stuck writing the class rules as Dr. Rob discovered when he wanted to run an electric motorcycle at ECTA.) ANYHOW - there is also no class for Diesel passenger cars and I wonder if you could make an argument for that being an Omega but I really have no clue, including Atkinson or Miller cycles. But I know steam is Omega.

Dan

Comment

rotary/wankel. How to forget that one.

the 3 main boxer would be a weirdo as well..the only thing normal is the otto cycle. The intake needs to be heated to at least try for the same temperature as outside air (it supercharges super cold at 22 inches vacuum)
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
            Rocket?
            Prop driven?
            Sail?
            Rubber band?
            DANGER! Do not mention these propulsion methods! Do you want HIM to show up here?

I thought you knew better from landracing.com, Randall.

vic
            vic NASCARland

Comment

Originally posted by krusty View Post

DANGER! Do not mention these propulsion methods! Do you want HIM to show up here?

vic
              he's been here twice... not sure if the second disappearance was admin related or not.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by krusty View Post

vic

You know "he who shall not be named" did cross my mind as I wrote that.......!
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Freiburger had a ban on sight policy when it was CJTV...
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Rotaries run with regular engines, Barry. The advertised displacement is doubled due to the way the rotors sweep the chamber - the rules guys figured that out and it seems to work about right (rules section 2A in the SCTA rule book - it's in a formula above the chart of displacement categories).

Dan

Comment

Dan,
                      In 2011 I believe there was a COMPRESSED AIR POWERED Omega class car. Technology from the French company who were pushing compressed air powered passenger cars. I understand that compressed air is a utility in France like electricity and water etc.
                      It had 2 iirc 24 inch diameter composite tanks and a motor that looked like a new 1903 REO engine. It went 54+ mph and was almost passed by the push truck LOL. It was interesting to talk to the engineers who were with the car.

nick
                      Last edited by nickleone; August 18, 2014, 04:43 PM.

Comment

There you go! Like I said, we TRY to run whatever shows up as long as it's safe. Not the class record holder - the steam record at Bonneville is 145 and change (steam) but I bet it's the fastest compressed air car. For some reason I'm not finding the Omega class rules in either book.

Dan

Comment

A rubber band powered car (omega) has set a record.
                          Joe Timney
                          President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
                          Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

Here you go...Omega Class Racer!!!
                            Joe Timney
                            President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
                            Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

Interesting! Thanks Joe.

Dan

Comment