Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

I just got off the phone with Joe Timney. Those who haven't read your rule books and who run electric fuel pumps need to know this. Vehicles with electric fuel pumps must have an inertial cut-off switch to stop the pump in case of accident or roll-over. If you think about it this makes perfect sense - you don't want fuel spraying on your dead car or your possibly bent body.

Joe recommended two part numbers, both from Ford. They are -
    XF32-9341-AA
    XWHT-9441-AA

This gets easier. They are both numbers used on various models of Taurus. Go to the salvage yard, open the trunk, remove 2 screws, clip the harness, and remove. Joe recommends getting the harness with it as the connectors on the switch are little and likely not available at your local parts store. Probably set you back $10 or so. It just wires in on the low load side of the fuel pump relay. Most factory EFI cars probably already have a similar switch, so check your schematics if you car falls into that category.

EDIT - I just went searching the Interwebs and came up with a wiring schematic at <SmartRacingProducts.com>. The unit they're selling for like $75 looks like the Ford unit to me. The instructions have some good tips like making sure you mount it vertically and that it goes on a VERY stable area so road bumps won't trip it. Anyhow, worth a look for anyone making this installation.

Hope this helps
    Dan

Re: Fuel Pump Inertia Switch

I thought that was 2011 but I guess I'll have to recheck my book

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
      I thought that was 2011
      NOPE.

Section 3.I.1 Fuel Shut-off (page 25)
      "All electric fuel pumps shall have a inertial shutoff switch by Jan. 1, 2010."
      ;)

Comment

Just to make it easier for the guys who are going to be buying a new Ford OEM unit rather than recycling yard searching, the first number should be XF3Z 9341 AA. Second one, I'll have to check tomorrow, it should have a number rather than 4 letters together in the first part of it, and it should also be 9341 rather than 9441.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

You're probably right on the numbers. I'm numerically dyslexic (I'm not kidding - numbers move around for me and letters do not) and I was writing as Joe was talking so it's completely possible I screwed it up.

Anyhow, I'll be off to the Automotive Salvage and Recycling Facility ASAP for the needed goodies.

Dan

Comment

XF32-9341-AA Is the parts engineering #
            the actual part # is
            3U2Z-9341-AA With a list price of 19.08

the wiring pigtail # for the switch is

3U2Z-14S411-NUA With a list price of 36.28

Comment

I purchased my switch from a local Pic-A-Part. They are located in most full size Fords in the trunk. You will not even get dirty removing the switch. I recommend getting the switch and wire pigtail. Like I said I purchased four of the switches and pigtails for $1 each. I picked up some for friends and I also got one as a spare.
              I have been told that these types of switches do fail from time to time and leave motorist stranded. Most people don't know where they are located or how to reset them.
              Because they can be a problem I decided to experiment with the installation of mine a year early, the 2009 race season. I had my switch on board for all of last year and never experienced any problem with it. It never tripped while riding in the trailer or on the race course.
              When I installed my switch I also connected a small amber light to the switch. When I turn my fuel pump on the amber light comes on. If for some reason my truck will not start, it is easy to look over and see if the light is on, meaning the switch has not tripped.

Comment

Originally posted by miketblsr
                XF32-9341-AA Is the parts engineering #
                the actual part # is
                3U2Z-9341-AA With a list price of 19.08

the wiring pigtail # for the switch is

3U2Z-14S411-NUA With a list price of 36.28
                I can't get 3U2Z 9341 AA to come up in the system here as a service part number, but XF3Z 9341 AA is a good service part for eng. I.D. XF32 9341 AA.

cheers
                Ed N.
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

ok I hit Pull A Part hard this morning and got several inertia switches. Some are already spoken for but if anyone needs one I have two left with pigtails. PM me your address and I'll send you one if you need it.

Comment

yep I typed it wrong it is xf3z9341aa

Comment

I'll be doing the same here soon, Except they'll be $100 at the track ;D

Comment

Dave, we have to work on your marketing skills. That should be $99.95. OOPS - I mean "ONLY $99.95".

Dan

Comment

3 easy payments of $44.95, items not paid in full immediately are subject to a 300% non-annualized baloon payment

Comment

Originally posted by greenjunk
                            not paid in pull
                            ???

Comment

cry baby ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X