Anyone have a 2016 rule book handy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a 2016 rule book handy

I'm looking to find out if in LSR not just in Ohio,(salt flats also) if they will fail you for having the most up to date driver retention equipment..

What I'm talking about is driver seats with the 5 point harness as part of the seat, it mounts/bolts to the seat structure , not the vehicle..
    This is what allowed A.Dillon to go from 200mph to zero in under a second and not break bones .. at the 2015 pep 400.. when the #3 went air bourn and contacted the catch fence..

I have a 2013 rule book, and it wasn't widely used then so, it's not addressed..

Basicly will my seat fail.. me.. before I load up...

This type of seat is not specifically allowed in the 2016 rule book as I read it. You can either check with Keith Turk or maybe even better contact SCTA-BNI.com and ask for a reading from the technical committee. The ECTA rule book closely follows the SCTA book but acceptance of new tech in either sanctioning body (and I think Loring as well) comes from making the body aware of the tech and asking for a reading on it. They'll contact the manufacturer and take whatever other actions they think are necessary to understand the tech and make an intelligent decision. They take this stuff seriously but the answer is not automatically "no". Bottom line - if you want to run this seat you'll need to start the ball rolling and let the technical committees know about it.

Dan

Comment

I'd think if it's good enough for superspeedways that are going to have the big ones.. (wrecks) . It be good enough here..
      But then again.. I 2012 roadcourse car was told, no by the tech guys, so.. nothing shocks me now..

Comment

I can't stress enough that it may well be OK but you don't want to show up and surprise the tech crew. They need time to gather info and know what they're looking at. I think it's a good thing that they don't jump to conclusions and immediately rule something in or out without knowing why. If you just show up they'll likely disallow it, not because it isn't good but because they don't know enough to make an intelligent decision.

So like I said, contact the tech committee and let them know what you're bringing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
          I'd think if it's good enough for superspeedways that are going to have the big ones.. (wrecks) . It be good enough here..
          But then again.. I 2012 roadcourse car was told, no by the tech guys, so.. nothing shocks me now..
          We have lots of guys showing up all the time with their "awesome shit", that doesn't pass tech (or the rulebook), so don't feel left out in the cold !

Comment

Do, those that tech these vehicles not go to the S.E.M.A. show..

Comment

The SCTA (and subsequently, ECTA) do not pass safety rules depending on what is or is not shown at a trade show. If a potential entrant (or a manufacturer of a part) submits the part for consideration, it will be carefully considered. You seat has a very good chance of being allowed but you have to make the officials aware of it and provide the technical info they need to make that choice. No doubt the maker of the seat has reams of test data that would define the part such that a choice can be made - but the committees involved need someone to send them that data.

It may be that this style seat has already been allowed but it is not in the rule book at this point (it can take a while for some things to make the book). Again, the only way to find out is to ask, which is not a difficult process. It does little good to bat this about on here - no one here is a decision-maker on this - I'm telling you how to get to the decision makers.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; July 6, 2016, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Well it looks like no point in loading up for anything this year, by the time they look into it, and mule over if it's ok or not it'll be 2017..

Comment

The rule book clearly states that seat belts must be attached to the frame, crossmember or reinforced mounting points. No chance belts attached to the seat will fly. You can try to suggest a rule change through proper channel laid out in the book. Good luck with that.

Comment

That's about what I figured, no chance in it getting an ok, this year, no matter if it is safer.. and most likely why it get laughed out of tech, as they are not current on safety changes/ improvements tech for high speed (200mph+) tech..
                    My fault, as I thought that in this type racing they would be..

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                      That's about what I figured, no chance in it getting an ok, this year, no matter if it is safer.. and most likely why it get laughed out of tech, as they are not current on safety changes/ improvements tech for high speed (200mph+) tech..
                      My fault, as I thought that in this type racing they would be..
                      We're still going through denial, this late in the game ?

Comment

Don't know what you are talking about,, but I doubt they get to research the unit, the company that made it, the tech, etc before the next meet. so..
                        no point in planning on this year..
                        My fault, I thought, stuff like this would jump out at them when they go to trade shows.. like S.E.M.A.
                        guess not.. totally my fault for assuming ...

Comment

Hey, the least you can do is drag your junk to the track or a meeting with an ECTA official, see what they say. Maybe it won't get teched this year, but the best thing for advancing both your your cause and the sport would be to bring your car, seat, and as much documentation as you have for the tech guys.

No one likes a whiner. Or a troll. MarkHeadBerry14 or whatever you go by now.

Comment

I don't think anyone would argue that a full containment seat is not better than a "regular" racing seat is better than a stock/cheap seat(not legal in either organization (ECTA or SCTA in race, as opposed to street cars). Proving that seat belts attached to the seat are better than seat belts properly aligned/installed and attached to the frame may be harder to do. As suggested previously if you want the rule changed/amended there are mechanisms to do so.
                            Last edited by jacksoni; July 13, 2016, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Reiterating what has already been stated and subsequently disregarded, will not get the point across any better .. just let it go.

Comment

Working...
                              X