Who Else Is Getting Ready For Ohio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russell View Post
    Time to stir the pot. Did they not change the rule so 2008? (I don't remember the year, I don't own anything that new ) can run with out a rollbar. So I can not till the difference between a 2006 or whatever year Red is and the year model that is the cut off. I wonder if they same? Would Ford right a letter saying so? Would the ECTA let Red run 150???
    Red won't do 150. I don't think so, out of the realm. In three miles I don't think Red will do 150, it's not in him. I'd like to know, but a mile is not long enough. Five miles, seven miles.....he'll only go so fast, that's all he'll do. I'd have to find 5th gear, and it won't pull, overdrive.

But I want to run down that track again. That's just much dadgum fun. Mash it flat to the floor and hold it down. There's nowhere else you can do that. Fusion.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Might not do 150 but I bet with the speed limiter gone ot will do more than 140 I will reread the rules tomorrow and see if I can understand them, like I said I didn't pay much attention because I don't own anything that new.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Two things.

1) There may not BE a September meet so if you want to come you better come in June. There's a high probability that we'll lose the Ohio track (this REALLY sucks) due to Amazon making Wilmington a new hub for them. On the one hand I'm really happy for the town - they need the jobs and while we do help it's not like hundreds of steady paychecks. But I'm bummed out for us racers. As of the last meet Keith and Brian and the ladies simply don't know where this is leading and evidently the airport authority doesn't yet know either. It might be 10 planes a day or it might be 100 planes a day. If it's 10 they can handle it on the long runway across the road, if it's 100 they'll need our strip, too. As far as anyone seems to know, Amazon doesn't know yet, either. If you watch the ECTA website they'll let us know as soon as they have more info.

Anyone have a handle on 9,000 to 10,000 feet of paved runway in (preferably) the SE?

2) I don't have my rulebook sitting open in front of me but as I recall not ALL post XXXX year cars qualify to run w/o a cage. I know they were particularly thinking of, like, 'Vettes that have a built-in roll structure. I haven't seen a list of which cars have 'em and which don't. No clue if Red would fall into that category.

Dan
        Kinda can't under stand why they let any cars run without a roll cage, or have a after year rule.. they won't let
        A saab 900 , (one of the strongest roofs ever), a Volvo, a space frame Pontiac Fiero..
        Run unless they are thinking the million air bags make it good..
        Maybe the tricky triangle has a long straight.. I'd think there is tons of small airports that could be options.
        And isn't this loosing 2 different spots within like 5 years?
        Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; June 8, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

It's been in the rule book forever that if you can make a case for any particular car to run outside of the general rules you can apply to the technical committee with aligned waterfoul and they can make an exception. I know for a fact that SCTA has made such exceptions and I'm sure ECTA would too if you made your point with drawing, photos, and maybe an engineering report. There's a liability issue here and if they can justify it to the insurance company they will likely be willing to go along.

My guess vis-a-vis the Saab, etc. is that no one has made that specific request.

Yes, we've lost a couple of tracks, both because the airport authority has found a better paying tenant for the strip in question. It's going to happen though we wish it wouldn't.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

I'd think there is tons of small airports that could be options.
            Most small airports have pavement more in the 5000-or-so-foot range. It takes most of a mile for the Big Dogs to get it reeled in after thrashing it for a mile at 200-plus through the time trap.

Reds' a 2006, I've never pored through the rule book enough to know of a 2008 rule, but if there is one, Red wouldn't apply anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

Most small airports have pavement more in the 5000-or-so-foot range. It takes most of a mile for the Big Dogs to get it reeled in after thrashing it for a mile at 200-plus through the time trap.

Reds' a 2006, I've never pored through the rule book enough to know of a 2008 rule, but if there is one, Red wouldn't apply anyhow.

Well, maybe they should maybe try to work with amazon.. Making it worth it to them to have a warehouse holiday... sure it force the events to holiday's.. but most warehouses don't like to pay workers to work holiday's..
              or set delivery's after the racing hours.. as I'm sure a hub will be getting deliveries 24/7.. It could be worked around that daylight hours nothing was coming or going..
              I'd think the biggest problem would be the liability lawyers for Amazon.. to allow it to happen on something they are leasing.

Comment

The airport authority is doing the best for us that they can. We'll just have to see where it shakes out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  The airport authority is doing the best for us that they can. We'll just have to see where it shakes out.

Dan
                  When DHL pulled out of there, it eliminated somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 jobs, depending upon who was reporting it, which pretty well killed the town. The town WAS DHL....I saw that in Canada, the town WAS the paper mill, the town built around it. It got shut down too, after decades, generations of families built around it.

With the Wilmington thing, I have to believe that facility is much batter a place for folks to make a living, as opposed to a spot for hotrodders to raise hell on a few weekends per year. It should be a place to make a living.

I'll say again, some one of us should win the lottery, and buy some huge expanse of property somewhere on the eastern seaboard, and set up a land speed racing facility. It would require thousands and thousands of acres, and an ocean of concrete trucks to build it. Not a privateer venture, nobody has that much money, and there's no payback. A money pit. Sadly, maybe LSR has met its end on this side of the continent, and that's just a shame.

Comment

I agree I would love to see the town thrive, but the selfish part of me says officially they have not called fall race off yet? Correct? Also let not forget about old Brain he has to eat too and if there is no track there is no ecta
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      I agree I would love to see the town thrive, but the selfish part of me says officially they have not called fall race off yet? Correct? Also let not forget about old Brain he has to eat too and if there is no track there is no ecta
                      Planning, it's all about planning,, and why older folks did leases of 99 years/etc..
                      Investing in racing that takes a huge land area, and hoping an old shipping hub won't go back on line at some point was super risky, It's not like Amazon hasn't been growing by leaps and bounds for years.. The writing was on the way 5-7 years ago..
                      Even if Amazon didn't want it, the online shopping, adding to shipping product would open that spot up to any of the major shippers .
                      Or, at some point someone that wants to challenge Amazon..

Comment

Packing up and loading Mutt tomorrow, then off over the mountains. I got the fresh tires on the trailer today and the tires on the big truck rotated. The oil was changed recently and we looked at the last trans fluid change - should be OK for a while longer. Think I'm about ready.

I'll have to go with the same shut-off system I used at the last meet. I had to order up some little fittings on line (1/16" NPT) and they won't make it in time for me to plumb up the onboard compressor for the shut-off system. Oh, well.......

Dan

Comment

Good luck,,, if you pass a hobby shop. they should have the fittings if you don't want to wait

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                            Good luck,,, if you pass a hobby shop. they should have the fittings if you don't want to wait
                            Didn't think of that. I'll be ready for the next meet, assuming the best.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X