Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

putting a vintage belly tanker back on the salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting a vintage belly tanker back on the salt?

What would it take to put a car like this into safe, fast, and legal racing condition? Would it be worthwhile, or would it be better to start from scratch?

Cool old car. The main thing, of course, is that the safety requirements have changed radically so you'll need a funny car style cage meeting certain specs (you'll want a rule book right away) in order to pass tech. There are other bits, too, but the cage is an obvious starting point. LSR DOES allow bolt-together cages so you might be able to make a bolt-in that meets specs but could be removed to show the car in vintage events.

The flathead can be built to whatever spec you want. If you retain the flathead and run XF or XXF (depends on heads) and those classes are really fun. Of course you can do an engine swap and run any class you want to - do you have a spare Deusenberg engine? Might have to stretch the frame a tad.......

It's a tough call as to whether to start with this one or start over but there's certainly a cool factor with the LSR folks to go with vintage tin. If I had the $$ I'd be inclined to redo this old guy.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
      What would it take to put a car like this into safe, fast, and legal racing condition? Would it be worthwhile, or would it be better to start from scratch?
      It would take a lot, but not as much as starting from scratch. That is an excellent starter car, to modernize with the latest drivetrain and safety equipment to be competitive. This makes me recall a quote from Keith Turk, when asked what it takes to get into the Two Hundred club .. "It takes more horsepower than you think, and more money than you have".

Comment

Working...
      X