June ECTA and Diesel Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June ECTA and Diesel Trucks

The little Diesel engines will be well represented at the June ECTA meet with entries in F/DT (my Mercedes/S-10) , G/DT (Aaron Brewer's white Diesel Rabbit PU) and G/DT (Steve Menendez' green Rampage with a tiny VW Diesel). So where's everyone else, Diesel or not? Let's see y'all there!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; May 29, 2015, 05:27 PM.

OK Dan, spill the beans .... what was your top speed this meet and what problems did you encounter ?

Comment

I broke 100 - 101.1918. We added boost and slowed down a bit. I think I'm at the point where more boost=more heat and Mike Reichen agreed that that is a likely issue. I'll order up the intercooler and a sensor for intake temp (I have EGT but no intake temp sensor). Learning curve.......

Steve Menendez (the Rampage) did well but the other small Diesel (Aaron Brewer's white Rabbit PU) was having challenges as well.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; June 10, 2015, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        I broke 100 - 101.1918. We added boost and slowed down a bit. I think I'm at the point where more boost=more heat. I'll order up the intercooler.
        Congratulations for getting it into 3-digits ... The intercooler should alleviate heat problems, but instills more complexity and potential points for leakage. The learning curve is steep, but when it works, it's FUN !!! Out of curiosity, what was Terry's best time with the 383 ?

Comment

Didn't know he ran a 383. The truck now known as Mutt has had a number of SBCs in his checkered past. I think the best was 143ish. The grenaded engine I pulled out was a 327, BTW.

An intercooler is about as simple as possible on a Diesel - but yes there are complications. All us small Diesel guys were chatting in the staging lanes (at one point we were almost nose-to-tail) and the intercooler is pretty much a necessary evil.

Dan

Comment

101 is actually pretty damn good Dan! I'm interested to see if the intercooler is helpful but you know where I'm heading next... if you don't have a column of black smoke blowing out the side and aren't melting the paint off the fender, then an IC is probably gonna be an incremental improvement. I don't doubt it will help make HP, just wondering how much impact it will have..

I used a .50 coefficient of drag, 26 sq. ft frontal area, 4000 pounds, and 101 terminal speed on one of the wallaceracing.com land speed calculators and seeing roughly somewhere around 130 hp to get it to 100 mph - pretty close to the limits of a 54cc MW pump.

Neat stuff man, to be sure. I'm holding my breath for you to write a check to Goran and go over 125!

oh - hey, I need to read your thread again. I think the non functional / removed ALDA may be costing you some fuel ?
            Last edited by Beagle; June 9, 2015, 03:22 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Not supposed to. It's function (as I understand it) is to moderate fuel flow when you mash the accelerator, preventing a black cloud which would be unseemly in your luxury Mercedes. It does, however, slow the rate of power addition off the line - not what I need.

I think your HP estimate is about right. I came up with 25 sq. ft. frontal area so we're both in the same ballpark. The factory rating was 126 HP (some disagreement on that) and I'd hope to have a bit more than that. That of course is flywheel - not sure if the Wallace calculator is flywheel or rear wheel.

I absolutely agree that I'm about to be injection pump limited. I suspect it'll be winter before I can order up the Dieselmeken pump (darn it.....)

Dan

Comment

Rampage ran well. I've got footage of your truck running, I'll get it converted and posted as soon as possible. That freakin' Rabbit...I may have lost years off of my life....
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Bryan - Great seeing you and your Sweetie there. Looking forward to seeing whatever you got on pixels (we used to say "on film.....). I figure the Rabbit killed off the insects at the track and so did us all a favor. Aaron was fighting some issues. Mine ran well, just not fast.

Dan

Comment

I still think you're being a little rough on the mutt, Dan. I doubt a 300D would do 100 in a mile. Hey, is it faster than the Camaro was? What kind of RPM's were you turning through the beams? Could you gear up a little and put a six speed out of a C230 in it and use the torque it makes to your advantage?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

He's running about 3600 thru the mile. I have shorter tires and may try them in July especially, being a 1/2 mile track. I'm running all the trans I can afford but more gear choices are always a good thing in LSR.

Dan

Comment

Here you go!
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

THANKS! First time I've heard Mutt under load.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X