No announcement yet.

Off to Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry we missed ya. I didnt actually get through the pits on Saturday, too busy watching you all go fast!
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

What a blast! Great to see everyone again and meet some new faces. Dan Stokes, it was good to talk to you in line. Sorry my wife confused you for a minute with her moving chair routine holding my spot Did you hit 100??

Comment

Not quite. Top speed was 97.9965 (in round numbers) - the turbo isn't making much boost so I'll have to track that down. GREAT to see all you folks and other ECTAers that I haven't seen in a while. I'll do a post in "General" with pics and such.

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; May 5, 2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Top speed was 97.9965 - the turbo isn't making much boost.
          I'm really surprised about that.
          With the previous track time, what happened in Ohio ?

Comment

One of my tasks in Ohio was to dial up the turbo. In an 1/8 mile run at the dragstrip there wasn't much time to get a decent reading on the boost gage. Anyhow, we learned that something is fishy either with the turbo or with the controller. I'll call the turbo shop and we'll sort it out.

Dan

Comment

Was it rolling coal?
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Pretty much NO!! Not into wasting fuel for no more power. With the ALDA removed it'll make a puff at launch and it's pretty clean after that - as far as I can tell from the driver's seat.

Dan

Comment

We learned that something is fishy either with the turbo or with the controller.
                  Leak or waste gate stuck open ?

Comment

Tim the turbo guy is being very helpful. I found out that when I thought I was bypassing the boost controller I was actually fully opening the wastegate accounting for the even lower boost reading on the last run. Darn learning curve! I'll get back to the dragstrip and get some data so Tim and I can sort this out.

The test program:

1) Run with the wastegate fully closed - if I get big boost we'll know that the turbo is fat & happy and I just have to sort the controller. I'll also listen for leaks though that doesn't seem to be the issue.

2) I'll get another boost gage and hook up a pressure reading on the hot side in addition to the cold side. Tim has a ratio he'd like to see (about 1.5:1 hot:cold).

3) If needed I'll send the turbo back to Virginia for additional lovin'.

Dan

Comment

Pretty much NO!! Not into wasting fuel for no more power. With the ALDA removed it'll make a puff at launch and it's pretty clean after that - as far as I can tell from the driver's seat.

Dan
                      I don't care for smoke for smokes sake. I am showing my lack of knowledge of diesels. if all else is well then don't you need more fuel to get the turbo to pump more air? So if its smoking you need more air? If its not smoking that's all it will do or you need more fuel?

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

The "rolling coal" thing is a waste of fuel. It indicates that you don't have the combination dialed in. If you watch a competitive Diesel pulling tractor you'll see that it goes black for a couple of seconds until the turbo spools up then clean, then brown depending on what else they're squirting in there. Eventually I should get to the point that I have some black smoke off the line then clean exhaust as I have boost.

Dan

Comment

I guess my question was if you had less boost ( air) than you wanted and no smoke is it getting enough fuel?

Or is there some air meter that limits over fueling during high throttle and low air flow?
                          Last edited by Russell; May 7, 2015, 08:27 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            I guess my question was if you had less boost ( air) than you wanted and no smoke is it getting enough fuel?

Or is there some air meter that limits over fueling during high throttle and low air flow?
                            As I understand it, that'd be the function of the ALDA but I think Dan's may have been removed.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Don't need no stinkin' ALDA! Anyhow, I couldn't see smoke from the driver's seat and so far I haven't seen any pics at the top end so we'll see what that shows. Theortically you're right - there well could be some smoke up top.

Dan

Comment

Dieselmeken or Myna
                                big element IP's
                                compound turbos
                                "Blown Income"

lol. Sorry. Had to.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X