1/4 mile to rolling 1/2 mile Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 mile to rolling 1/2 mile Questions

While I'm working on the new build for El Mirage I have the chance dip my toe in the water with the '71 Mustang at the No Fly Zone Rolling start Half mile at Gila Bend Az this weekend. Due to short notice my only adjustments from the quarter mile set up are dropping from a 3.89 to a 3.25 rear end gear and bringing some 30" tall drag radials along with the usual 28" if I need a bit more top end rpm room or a bit more aero wedge. I'll the auto-x Y rated 275/40 18 Nitto NT-05's up front per the rules. This a fairly well proven Drag Week car so I am pretty confident in the cooling systems etc. I did not have time to put the manual trans back in so the high stall automatic will have to do the job.

Any advice, warnings or suggestions?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Go get 'em Bill!!
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't think you will have any trouble cooling during the run (does not take that long) as long as you can let it cool between runs. Block the grill if you can, and anything else to aero. I have been told LSR cars like zero toe at ride height (up or down depending on aero). What does it MPH in the 1/4?

Edit: you might want to run more air pressure in the rear than you normally would for drag.
      Last edited by Russell; March 4, 2015, 08:56 AM.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
        Any advice, warnings or suggestions?
        Have FUN dude !

Comment

Bill 40-42psi in the front tires, block off what you can in the front to prevent turbulent air, and let it rip. I know you've got the braking and power aspectd well taken care of.

Comment

Russell, I typically go around 144 mph in the quarter in the air and altitude we'll be running.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I'd pump the rear tires to as high as you dare, depending on traction needs. Rolling resistance becomes a big deal at speed. I generally run 45 lbs. or so.

Dan

Comment

Agree on the higher rear pressures, you want stability FIRST as it's a rolling start and not a drag launch. Take your outside mirrors off and wiper arms if they are directly in the flow(am not familiar with '71 'stangs), '0' toe and lotsa caster. Don't forget to pack lots of the 'fun factor' !
                http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

Working...
                X