No announcement yet.

Bob's Blown Modified Mini Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting with a 5-lug hub a decent machinist (like not me) should be able to redrill it to match whatever the rear pattern is. Probably easier to find wheels?

Dan

Comment

I agree, its something I've dealt with before. We'll wait until we decide what to do with the rear hub situation.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Spent a day on the truck last week. I'll post pictures when I get them loaded on the computer.

The strut front suspension looks like its going to work ridiculously well. The 5-lug Volvo set up uses cartridges, so we'll be able to tailor the strut length to suit our needs. We mocked it up with a 24" tire, and with 0* camber and 13* caster, everything fits with practically no intrusion into the engine compartment...which is really great given a desire to fit a Mod motor in the confines sometime in the future.

The quickchange continues to give us fits, especially with the wide five hubs. We need to cut about 7.5 inches off the axle tubes, but the steel tube has become one with the aluminum bell. After making a fixture to hold it, we still couldn't get it out after hammering away on it. We'll be applying the smoke wrench and some hydraulic pressure to see if we can get them to separate.

The truck steward and committee quicklygot back to us on our plans to use the strut and quickchange and the mods we'd be making to the frame and bed. Everything is approved. It's great to see how quickly they responded. Serious cutting and slashing will ensue at the next work day.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Holmes; June 8, 2015, 01:58 PM.
        I'm still learning

Comment

Too much caster...8 degrees is plenty. At 13, you are lifting the tire if you need to steer it. Fuel funny cars run 10 degrees. To remove the tubes...give me a call at the shop 302.378.3013...it is way too easy to destroy the bells.
          Joe Timney
          President-www.delawarechassisworks.com
          Retired President-www.ecta-lsr.com

Comment

Thanks Joe, I'll give you a call tomorrow. We're going to try and remove them tomorrow night.
            I'm still learning

Comment

Since aluminum expands at a rate about 2x greater than steel wouldn't heating do the job? Heat the bell and ice down the steel tube. A 200 degree delta should expand the aluminum 0.0066". (assuming 3" tubes) If you didn't ice the steel tubes and they were the same temp as the aluminum they would expand about .003". I think the tubes are an interference fit of about .002"-.003" so there might l be a slight resistance to removal. But if you iced the steel tube it should be easy to remove.

Comment

I agree, I think they need to be treated to the smoke wrench. I like the idea to ice down the tubes. Thanks.
                I'm still learning

Comment

I had a very informative discussion with Joe Timney. Thanks Joe!

Apparently the bells are sensitive to the amount of heat that you apply. Anything over 300* could cause issues.

I wonder what the Lovely Donna will say when she sees them in the oven...
                  I'm still learning

Comment

What did Joe suggest?
                    Find a local powder coater. Their oven will be big enough and the temp control is very precise.

Comment

Joe discussed the temperature sensitivity of the bells and made some suggestions as to who might be good at R&Ring them. Mike at Winters was his suggestion.

Local powder coater is an an interesting suggestion.
                      I'm still learning

Comment

Fiddling with the struts
                        I'm still learning

Comment

Need to cut these down 7.5" a side. Made a jig to try and separate things...no go. We'll be using some heat.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

Making room for the struts; we're liking where this is going.

Likes like there WILL be room for a mod motor.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

The Schedule
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Best of luck, Bob! My similar list was sorta like that and I stuck to it - except it took almost exactly twice as long.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X