No announcement yet.

Bob's Blown Modified Mini Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Mike. I've got a bad case of CRS, also. I'll go back and look at my notes. Thanks for asking.

(CRS=can't remember shit!!!)
    I'm still learning

Comment

Mockup.

This is a little too low, only 1.75" from frame to ground.

Time to start working on the suspension.

We've decided to run some type of 2.3t Ford for motorvation this year. We've have plenty of them, and we just want to get there and get some driving experience.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Your making progress though, keep up the good work

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Need NEWS!!!!

Dan

Comment

Sorry guys, its currently at the other shop. I've asked them for measurements so that we can get the dropped front axle on order. The only items I have available are some of the body panels. I'll start working those over to get them straight as possible.

We're looking for a couple of late model Ranger 2.5 blocks so we can start playing with the engine build. The hot rod to be Volvo head is at Nick's waiting for him to wave his magic grinder over, under, through and around it.

Our first "Overhaulin" style weekend thrash is scheduled for early May...time's a wasting.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Spent some time looking at this:

An engineer buddy that's heavily into scale model airplanes is verifying the information. My guess is that on the Datsun the CP will be at about the bellhousing, so the CG should be at the front bumper. LOL

Ballasting this thing is going to be quite the task. I'm not sure I have enough real estate at the front. I suppose I could go grab some old tractor weights to hang behind the air dam.

And then think about what has to be done to get the power down at the back end. I'm glad I have a set of scales.
                I'm still learning

Comment

Dan, have you tried to set the CG and CP?
                  I'm still learning

Comment

SET them??!! I don't even know what they are!

I'm guessing CG is center of gravity but CP is a mystery. Again, you assume that there's engineering in my build when actually it was just making stuff bolt together and function. I tried to make it sorta pretty so no one will look too closely for stuff like CG and CP........

This was a truck that got down the track many times safely so my assumption is that if I didn't make it too different it should continue to be OK.

Can someone at the current shop Email you a couple of pics that you could pass on to us?

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; April 9, 2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

LOL

I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                        I don’t like that explanation at all. They are trying to locate a dynamic force statically! Balancing on the head of a pin only measures the center of mass of an object and gives you one axis of the CG of the cardboard object. CP is the wind pressure acting on the shape of an object and is a dynamic force.

The easiest way is to simply hang the cutout from a string and gently apply airflow perpendicular to the side of the object. If the object spins move the string fore or aft longitudinally until the object does not spin. That is the CP.

Last edited by Saltfever; April 10, 2015, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                          ...Ballasting this thing is going to be quite the task. I'm not sure I have enough real estate at the front. I suppose I could go grab some old tractor weights to hang behind the air dam.

And then think about what has to be done to get the power down at the back end. I'm glad I have a set of scales.
                          Schedule 40 intercooler piping!!!
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                            Schedule 40 intercooler piping!!!
                            made from gold
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltfever View Post
                              I don’t like that explanation at all. They are trying to locate a dynamic force statically!
                              I completely agree, that's why I was having my engineer buddy look at it. The explanation bugged me. It seemed to me that it just balanced the mass of the model, and not pressure.
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Burt Monroe in 'World's Fastest Indian' explains CP with a toothpick and a seegar.

In circle track we use thin wall square or rectangular tube placed along the perimeter rails, fab removable end caps for each end, and place lead bricks/blocks/forms where we want it. Use wood blocks for spacers to keep the lead in place fore/aft.
                                Last edited by YELLA BRICK; April 11, 2015, 06:00 PM.
                                http://team61racecars.webs.com/

http://baccusent.webs.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X