Concerts - Who Have You Seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerts - Who Have You Seen?

The thing with the Top Party Schools list thread.....here's how I think and tie things together.

I went to the South Carolina Campus for one night, for a rock concert. I believe it was Blue Oyster Cult. Whatever we kids were into at the time.

Which has me thinking. Back when I was a kid, the whole music thing was so backward from what it is now. The bands then toured to promote an album they had released. An album, kids, was a round plastic thing that had grooves on it and it rotated and excited a needle riding in the grooves that sent wave differences to an amplifier and ....well never mind all that.

Promote the album. Apparently the profit margin for the album was such that the live concert was nearly free. As kids with nearly no funds, we had to decide whether we were going to buy the album or just go to the show, and there were a lot of shows. The price for the album and the show was about the same. Around 10 bucks for the album and maybe 15 for the live show. A guy at work told me the other day, he has orchestra pit tickets for some late model famous act, and he spent 600 bucks on those two tickets, his anniversary present to his wife.

Back then, I saw Johnny Winter as many times as I could (maybe 6). I saw KISS three times and didn't care because they toured with so many great backup bands that nobody in my circles even cared if we went to a KISS concert. Doobie Brothers (maybe the best music show ever), Billy Joel, Eagles, ZZ Topp (they had awful trouble with their amplifiers, I walked out on that one, dodging Jack Daniels bottles that were being thrown by the crowd in the coliseum), Crosby Stills and Nash (the Dads of harmony vocals), Grand Central Station when Smoking in the Boys Room was a one-hit pony hit, Bonnie Raitt, I can't even recall who all. Lots, many more.

But I didn't see Little Feat and I didn't see the Allman Brothers. I was by a year or three or four too young to go see the Allman Brothers when Duane was alive, same with Lowell George and Little Feat. Both bands died (musically) when their leaders died. And I never saw Yes. They were too big then to come to the Carolinas, not a big enough market.

Does anybody go to concerts anymore? I don't, not for 600 dollars.
    Last edited by pdub; August 7, 2014, 04:28 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Too many to list, but I've seen Rush a bunch of times. Saw Muddy Waters last tour. Wow.... a lot of music.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

The Kinks concert
      Black Sabbath concert
      Sammy Hagar concert
      Johnny Winter concert
      Elton John concert
      Zeppelin but only about 10 years ago so some of the folks were different, didn't matter sounded the same concert
      Debbie Harry NBC Midnight Special
      Cheap Trick concert and NBC Midnight Special
      Guns N Roses concert
      Cake concert
      VanHalen NBC show
      Tons of bands rehearsing who appeared on the Tonight Show from 1978 thru 1990 only 2 songs each though
      Cyndi Lauper NBC Midnight Special
      Blondie NBC Midnight Special
      ZZ Top concert
      Pretenders concert
      B-52s NBC Midnight Special
      Pat Benatar NBC Midnight Special
      Kiss concert
      Devo NBC Midnight Special
      Alice Cooper concert
      Tom Petty NBC Midnight Special
      The Cars NBC Midnight Special
      Charlie Daniels Band NBC Midnight Special (traded shirts with someone in that band, they liked my NBC shirt and I liked the Charlie Daniels shirt)
      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

She wins
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
          She wins
          Yep.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Earliest remembering parents taking us kids to John Denver and Olivia Newton John, when she was a country singer.

Kiss in '79 and again '83, and a few times as a limo driver.
            Van Halen 1984 tour
            ZZ Top Eliminator
            AC/DC
            Def Leppard Pyromania
            Huey Lewis and the News Sports Tour (Took Mom for her birthday)
            Dwight Yoakim in '87 while in college.

While working as a limo driver
            Eagles
            Rolling Stones
            Kiss
            Motley Crue
            Janes Addiction
            Paul Anka
            KD Lang and Tony Bennett
            Coldplay
            Fleetwood Mac at least 10 times
            Genesis
            I am sure there are more. Mostly ones that were annoying.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'll forgo the ones on this continent...except to say that I saw Guns 'n' Roses with the Chaplain's daughters, at his request and dime.

Right Said Fred in Sydney purely by accident and at no cost to me.
              Last edited by 68scott385; August 7, 2014, 07:30 PM.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Van Halen 1984
                RUSH
                Eagles
                ZZ Top
                Billy Joel
                Neil Diamond
                Jimmy Buffett
                Lynyrd Skynyrd
                Bachman, Turner, Overdrive
                Blondie
                Adam Ant
                The Fixx
                Barry Manilow
                Boston
                Dave Mason
                Alice Cooper
                John Mayal
                The Pretenders
                Eric Clapton
                Rod Stewart
                And Sunday night, Paul McCartney at Dodger Stadium.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Elton John
                  Peter Gabriel (1984)
                  Stevie Ray Vaughn
                  Lionel Richie
                  Moody Blues (x3)
                  The Romantics
                  Linda Ronstadt
                  Yes (9012live tour)
                  Journey (Escape tour)
                  The Pretenders (twice)
                  Rolling Stones
                  Captain and Tennille
                  Billy Idol (twice)
                  Brian Setzer (twice)
                  George Thorogood and the Destroyers (twice)
                  Eagles
                  Chris Isaak (x2)
                  Cher
                  Duran Duran
                  INXS
                  Slash with Miles Kennedy
                  Godsmack

Oops, forgot these:

Toto
                  Survivor
                  Last edited by hotrodfords; August 8, 2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Been to lots of concerts but the ones I like to remember are the shows in bars and night clubs with bands that got big. I saw Cheap Trick in a bar. Metallica in a showcase club on the ride the lightning tour. Ahhhh, the 80's!
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Been to lots of concerts but the ones I like to remember are the shows in bars and night clubs with bands that got big. I saw Cheap Trick in a bar. Metallica in a showcase club on the ride the lightning tour. Ahhhh, the 80's!
                      Yup. Saw Van Halen in a Pogo's before they ever recorded. Pat Benatar played Pogo's before she met Neil. Saw Jane's Addiction, the Chili Peppers, and Stone Temple Pilots all at one show in the Coyote Club. They played a set apiece. I thought none of them was going anywhere. Los Lobos played here a couple times at the Coyote Club, then their album popped and they won a Grammy. The next time they played Wichita was an arena. Saw Allan Holdsworth in a KCMO bar, and then here in Wichita. The bar owners hated him because nobody drank. Saw Stevie Ray right before his first album came out (he dropped out of the David Bowie tour just before go-time). He was AWFUL - people were walking out in droves.

Worked for a music store in the 80's and we provided sound and lights for many concerts. Ran sound for Gatemouth Johnson, Albert Collins, Satriani - big fun. Remember Stryper? Those guys were a joke - smoking, drinking, and squeezing some girlies before hitting the stage to sing about Jesus. Anyone ever heard of Manilla Road? Ran sound for them a buncha times - now they are big in Europe. Jazzers, rockers, country pickers, even reggae - I've been backstage for loads of them.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

My first concert was Blood Swear & Tears at the Daytona Beach Jai-alai fronton in 1969 and my last was Metallica at the Sydney Entertainment Centre in 2005. In between, a lot of shows from little ones (Three Dog Night in a Pub) to huge (The Who at the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando), some that I remember, some I don't. I've kept most of the ticket stubs and plan to make a picture-frame collage display (some day).

Comment

Moody Blues/Chicago/Ozzy/Ugly Kid Joe/Motorhead/Social Distortion/Kiss/Metallica/Guns and Roses/Reba Mcentire/Garth Brooks/Toby Keith/Michelle Wright/Puddle of Mudd/The Offspring/Billy Idol/Cotton Mouth Kings/Blink 182/Sum 41, Taking Back Sunday, JImmy Eat World/Unwritten Law/The Format/Pennywise/Papa Roach/Megageth/Kenny Rogers/Stone Temple Pilots/Bad Religion/Sleeping Souls......Maybe more...I cant remember...Just remembered The B52's /Ted Nugent/Bad Company/Kid Rock/Aerosmith

Oh, and Van Halen and Alice in Chains...
                          Last edited by JOES66FURY; August 8, 2014, 08:04 AM.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

van halen, stevie ray vaughn, pink floyd, george thourogood, etc.

your right though, tickets are very expensive today.

sometimes we go to this country bar. its cheap and has lots of cheap concerts.
                            I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

my kids saw big smo there and got autographs. i dont like his music, but the kids do and the guy has a tv show now, lol.

Comment

Wifey just bought us Frampton tickets and doesn't even know it yet, bless her little soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X