No announcement yet.

Thinking out loud...Murdersickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like you know what you want, go for it. As far as starting out on something smaller, don't worry about it. Cruisers are nearly the easiest type of bike to ride, low seat, slow steering, low Rpm power. It's hard to get in trouble on one.

Comment

Lol... Trouble shows FAST when being stupid! ..

Comment

make a CR500 af street legal... then you have dirt AND street.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
          Sporster
          kidney removal machine.. great for rides of less than 100 miles. The girls I had on mine seemed to like it though. Solid mount everything on the older ones.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
            Sounds like you know what you want, go for it. As far as starting out on something smaller, don't worry about it. Cruisers are nearly the easiest type of bike to ride, low seat, slow steering, low Rpm power. It's hard to get in trouble on one.
            I respect what you are saying but I'm not sure I totally agree. It's not all that hard to get in trouble on a 1800 cc bike with 100 foot pounds available right off idle... I don't think that point is lost on Joe though, he'll probably be fine.

MSF RETS course is a fantastic idea.

Joe, the Honda looks clean! Have you checked the Honda forums to see what kind of mileage (longevity) they are seeing? The guy across the alley from me wakes me up at 5:20a every morning if I'm not already up. Drives his bagger unless it snowing or thunderstorming. He rides in rain a lot, but he'll leave it in the shed if there's a big storm in the works. It had 100k miles on it the last time I looked and never had to open the engine - strong testimony for the big twin. I'm sure it's probably close to 150k by now, that was several years ago.

50k on the Honda does and doesn't really scare me, kind of at the same time if you know what I mean. If it's been maintained, and sounds like it has, maybe not a big deal.

I forgot my other comment on the Sportster and something to consider with the Buells - if you're over 5'10 it may be too short feeling. They're smaller bikes. Good luck man!
            Last edited by Beagle; August 2, 2014, 03:04 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The 1800 and 1300 are pretty bullet proof engines. I've read that provided it has been cared for properly one can expect at least 100K without tearing it down for a major maintenance..it may need valve adjustments...seals at 70K or so...not fretting that either........but...just like anything...things can fail catastrophically. I am going to try to look at it tomorrow to see it first hand....
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The Mrs. raised a good point...the boy will be driving in Novemeber and I need to find him a vehicle...so...I have decided to lower my sights jsut a bit and am considering two things the first involves some serious modifications to the Fury the other involves this pretty little number here....anyone here familiar with teh Yamaha FJ1200?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

130 hp and 586 lbs. Not what I'd pick to learn on, although there are worse choices. Something in the same vein that may be a bit more beginner friendly would be a Ninja 500, or the previously mentioned GS500. It's your first bike, not your last.

Comment

Spent some time on one, very nice bike. Rock solid dependability and easy to maintain. While yes it has 130 hp, the delivery of it is not violent. The power comes on like a freight train, (as opposed to a hand grenade like an R1, or Gsxr1000), and its a heavy-ish bike. What I remember most is how comfy it was, and how much torque it had at highway speeds, no need to downshift, just twist and whoosh. fJ,s can be set up as fantastic touring bikes with taller windscreens and bar risers, etc.

Comment

Mike youre assesment seems to be exactly what I have read all over the internet. Lots of positive reviews for comfort and cruising...The down sides according to some is the weight...no one ever complains about power and everyone raves about the torque. This bike seems to be upgraded with aftermarket brakes which according to some is a weak point on these bikes. I've looked at a few and this one (by the pictures) is cherry compared to the others and the price for this bike is the same as some junk bikes I have seen. The upright riding position is a real positive for me...and honestly it is a good looking bike that..to me anyway....doesnt look dated....

Comment

It is a pretty big chassis, I'm 6 ft and if you are similar in stature wold have no issue with the weight of an FJ. For smal riders it may be an issue. It's a pretty old bike now so make sure the forks don't leek and that all the rear suspension bearings and bushings are good. Also make sure the steering head bearings operate smoothly. This stuff can be a pita to fix. Parts are cheap but labor could get a bit much.

Comment

6ft4 and 260lbs..one of my concerns with a bike is that if I hit a bump I dont want it to vanish up my ass...like I said before...a trained bear at teh circus....If someone at 6ft can be confy on this bike I think someone of my stature whould be okay on it as well.

Comment

Dammit Joe now you've got me looking at bikes.... the wife can only afford so much...

Comment

I just tried to score this for $1,200. http://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/4606533975.html

Seemed reasonable to me, 1200 for a 1200, but it didn't sound like he appreciated it very much....shit happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
                                I just tried to score this for $1,200. http://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/4606533975.html

Seemed reasonable to me, 1200 for a 1200, but it didn't sound like he appreciated it very much....shit happens...
                                That's a girls bike.
                                The Green Machine.
                                http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X